Revell's (not so) new 1:32 He 219 "UHU"

Iain

Guest Nigelr32

Actually - I lied...

It's all going back in it's box until I can feel vaguely inspired to do anything. :(

Ho hum...

Iain

Oh dear Iain, has this bl@*dy kit finally tipped you over the edge??

This was going to be your refresher into OOB modelling?

Actually - I lied...

It's all going back in it's box until I can feel vaguely inspired to do anything. :(

Ho hum...

Iain

Just roll with it Iain. I wouldn't let the nacelle angle scupper what would inevitably be a beautifully finished model.

Live and learn Iain, and perhaps venture down the full strip down route for an improved model, or take a look at the ZM kit and have the two side by side to show the differences, both good and bad.

Not in my nature to build something I know looks wrong - I will pick this up again at some point in the future - not afraid to wield the razor saw - but my MoJo on this project is firmly AWOL at present.

More I see the ZM kit the more I like it - but doubt I'll be able to afford it this year - we'll see.

Revell UHU is back in the loft - insulating the house - and I'm playing with my Hasegawa P-26 and a P-47 for 'therapy' :)

Catch you all laters...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

So sad really. There was the thought expressed on this site that now there is (potentially) a Do17 to measure, that Revell would be able to do it and get it right. Well, that obviously has not panned out as far as the He 219 is concerned. Basically it is a case of Garbage In, Garbage Out. If they measure wrong at NASM, and no one with a discerning eye or desire to get it right has a look at it, this is what results.

Sorry to see this thread end, and even though the slack will be picked up over on Nigel's thread, I think I can speak for the LSP community when I say that we would be remiss in not thanking you for taking on the pioneering work on finding out what issues needed to be addressed on the Revell Uhu..... Thanks Iain, and I hope you get back in the Uhu's saddle when the time is right. :goodjob:

Guest Nigelr32

Sorry to see this thread end, and even though the slack will be picked up over on Nigel's thread, I think I can speak for the LSP community when I say that we would be remiss in not thanking you for taking on the pioneering work on finding out what issues needed to be addressed on the Revell Uhu..... Thanks Iain, and I hope you get back in the Uhu's saddle when the time is right. :goodjob:

You're dead right Lee, I hadn't considered the "Thanks Iain" approach. I don't consider this thread should end and certainly hope my thread is nothing to do with it??

Anyway, thanks Iain, as Lee has already said.

Guest Nigelr32

So sad really. There was the thought expressed on this site that now there is (potentially) a Do17 to measure, that Revell would be able to do it and get it right. Well, that obviously has not panned out as far as the He 219 is concerned. Basically it is a case of Garbage In, Garbage Out. If they measure wrong at NASM, and no one with a discerning eye or desire to get it right has a look at it, this is what results.

I don't think Revell actually used the NASM example. I think they used drawings, as most of them have the thrust line and rear nacelle just as Revell has produced them. There's no doubting, the engines are a mess. They look more like they come off an A-20 than a Uhu!!

hope my thread is nothing to do with it??

Not at all Nige!

It may be your thread that fires my enthusiasm again... ;)

I started this thread as I needed an 'easy' build in the midst of some major one's - should have realised that could never happen!! :frantic:

Although - it may have done something positive as the Connie is out again this evening - but - shhhhh - just between us eh? :)

Iain (the quitter)

Yep i think everyone has learnt a lot in the thread.

Its interesting that the Revell kit when finished does look good.

Yet it does seem to have some pretty glaring shape and dimensional issues with the front fuselage.

Great thread and some stellar input and its great ZM listen to good information in the developement.

Great stuff..

Still gutted that this one is now ended. I saw Iain's semi-build at Telford alongside one of the completed kits we had on the ZM stall.

Revell's price point still can't be beaten for what you get, and to be honest, models this size (and still cost) are going to be bought and built mostly by adults, and hopefully we'll see a few online being tackled.

It's not ended??

As long as people still read this and post information about 1/32 Uhu's from any manufacturer it will go on..

Indeedy - and my build is just parked whilst I do some 'fun' stuff - I'll prolly be back at some point...

Iain

Guest Nigelr32

Indeedy - and my build is just parked whilst I do some 'fun' stuff - I'll prolly be back at some point...

Iain

No Iain, you will be back. Wait and see, as soon as ZM release their kit there will be allsorts of comments about "this and that don't look right", "this doesn't fit well", "there's too many rivets on this panel", which will lead to "Why pay the extra over the Revell kit". I feel it in my bones....... That will make you want to prove YOU can build an accurate Uhu....

That said, the ZM kit does look like a much better bet to build a pretty Uhu, and in my opinion will be worth every penny. I'm going to be one of the first to have one for sure....

I've read this topic from the start and surely it's one of the most interesting ones I've ever seen.

I'm still not sure which Uhu kit I will buy. I have 4 Z-M kits with their acessories and they really get very expensive after the Portuguese Customs add the VAT and other import taxes.

Would I buy the Revell Uhu? I am not able/brave to saw/cut/vacform and correct its mistakes, I would wait for a landing gear and canopy aftermarket correction set, the nacelle/wing issue is really not so important to me in getting a "decent" Uhu in my display shelf.

Just my €0.02, thanks all for their input and Nigel please keep labouring on your Uhu.

Happy New 2013!

Edited by Rui Silva