1/32 Boulton Paul Defiant

ironman1945

Hi everyone

Next up for me, the ID Models 1/32 vac Defiant. I've been working on this on and off for the last 2 months or so; been too busy coaching my son's high school football team to dedicate all of my time to it. But so far so good.

First up a few shots of the fuselage after removal from the vac sheet, sanding down and a section cut out for the turret.

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Closer view of the outer wing panels. Based on the 2 sets of drawings I have both the outer wing panels and the wing center section as supplied in vac form are not wide enough from front to back. So I've resorted to carving the outer wing panels in balsa, removing the leading edge and adding styrene strip to shape down later, and covering the balsa cores with .03 plastic sheet (same method I used a few years back with my Whirlwind build).

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Finally, work started on the turret. The kit provided vac clear parts have some issues; the framing is off and indistinct, so Ive started carving/filling a balsa male form to vac the new turret glazing with. The plastic rings are sections of the turret base that Im experimenting with.

Anyway there you have it, more to follow soon........or at least within a month. By then high school football will be over and we will have either lost in the playoffs or won the championship.

Take care and have a great day!

Dave/Ironman1945

IMG_0013.jpg

Very Cool to see a Defiant built Dave, I remember your Whirlwind build, georgeous model, tons of work and you nailed it.

This one should be just as fun to watch.

Good luck with the football program, we have one here you may have heard about, not really high school ball but still

GO DUCKS! ...

All the best to you and your build,

Paul

Paul

Ohh yes Ive heard of the Ducks. We take our team to Oregon every Aug to play against a local team (this year it was Junction City) and catch a Ducks game.

Go Ducks indeed! (Mariota is AMAZING for a freshman!)

Dave/Ironman1945

Great stuff Dave :goodjob: (I love what you have done so far).

I am currently drawing up the scale drawings needed to start my 1/32 master patterns for my Defiant kit, so I shall probably be working down similar lines to that already forged by yourself.

I shall be watching this build with great interest :popcorn:

Cheers

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Hey thanks for that Derek! I've been plugging away slowly but surely, but progress has been slow. Bogged down with trying to finish the turret glazing mold, and have just concluded that I need to carve a mold for the canopy and windshield as well. No way around it.

More pics in a few weeks, by then I'll have plenty of free time; the high school football team I coach will either have won the provincial championship, or we will have been knocked out somewhere in the playoffs.

Dave/Ironman1945

Hey thanks for that Derek! I've been plugging away slowly but surely, but progress has been slow. Bogged down with trying to finish the turret glazing mold, and have just concluded that I need to carve a mold for the canopy and windshield as well. No way around it.

More pics in a few weeks, by then I'll have plenty of free time; the high school football team I coach will either have won the provincial championship, or we will have been knocked out somewhere in the playoffs.

Dave/Ironman1945

It is nice to see your modelcraft again Dave. I fully understand why you have to make new transparencies for this kit, and I would not at all be surprised if you have to substantially rebuild quite exstensive areas of this kit just to get an accurate representation (I strongly suspect that the drawings used to master this kit were not as accurate as more recent ones).

I am at the planning stage and I have a lot to consider before I cut plastic (or more likely, wood), but I shall post some pics when I have made some worthy progress.

Cheers

Derek

Hey there Derek

Im using the drawings in the Mushroom Defiant book, as well as to another set of plans I purchased 2 years ago from.... cant remember from where exactly. They match almost perfectly, and as far as I can tell seem to agree with all the photos Ive been looking at.

The ID fuselage in comparison is actually not too bad (Im far too lazy to quibble over a mm or two), and may require some minor work around the turret area and the rudder, but the wings and tailplanes are very much off the mark.

At one section of the wing I measured a difference of 1.5 cm, which even by my low standards is very bad indeed. I agree with your assessment that the drawings used back when the molds were originally produced were likely inaccurate.

I look forward to seeing your pics!

Dave/Ironman1945

Guest Peterpools

Dave

Terrific choice for your new build. For sure, it's going to be a fun build to follow and enjoy.

How is the team doing this season? Hopefully an undefeated one.

Peter

• 3 years later...

Been awhile since I've worked on this...since 2012.

Not that I ever lost interest, but I soon discovered I didn't have enough info to continue with the interior and turret, even by my low mid-70% limit of acceptability.

But with the Mushroom book, and some detailed turret diagrams, its onward.  Here is my current work so far on the instrument panel. Bezels were made with plastic squares and circles.

IMG_1614_zpsr82ilvy9.jpg