Me-262 A-1a Early Version

scvrobeson

Beautiful stuff Matt, interesting gap you have there in the front office. The gear bays look terrific, wish I had gone the route you went and eliminated those mounting bosses. May just have to go back and fix mine now.

Matt

Fantastic progress and update. The front office looks awesome and the detailing under the cockpit looks great. Glad to see your making progress on the 262 and she sure looks good. :thumbsup:

Keep 'em coming :popcorn: :popcorn:

Peter

Thanks Peter! I'm really enjoying your Albatros build as well. I had to put in a ton of effort into the wheel bay, since it is completely exposed. I do have some more weathering to add in there to make it look right, since it looks very bare at this point. The next step is to get the wing installed, and then I got start detailing the gun bay and engines. That will be where the bulk of the work takes place on this build, besides painting and weathering.

Matt :party0023:

Very nice, Matt! I really like how the CMK 'pit eliminates those unsightly mounting bosses Trumpeter used for the kit 'pit, too.

That's a tight spot to fill. Can't wait to see how you do it... :popcorn:

D

yes, the CMK pit does get rid of the mounting points, but it did have a few problems getting fitted. They added a bunch of material near the top walls, which all had to be sanded down to fit into the fuselage. As you can see by the gap in the back, I wasn't able to fully eliminate it, but the only way to really get rid of it would be to lose the rear walls of the cockpit.

Matt, Nice Job so far, I bet you're really looking forward to some "alone time" with your planes, I know I would be,

Keep up the great work!

Paul

Thanks Paul. That's my favorite part about winter break, is that I have about a month off to build models and relax in between school semesters. I'm hoping to get this one done by the end of January, since there are a couple of contests in the February/March timeframe that I would like to get this entered in.

Very nice indeed sir ... I'm going to enjoy watching this come together. A classic aircraft.

Grant.

Thank you very much Grant. It truly is such a classic shape, I had to have one in the collection. The Trumpeter kit is a very nice starting point, I just felt it needed some added detail.

Beautiful stuff Matt, interesting gap you have there in the front office. The gear bays look terrific, wish I had gone the route you went and eliminated those mounting bosses. May just have to go back and fix mine now.

Thanks a lot! It is an interesting gap, that's why I'm not quite sure how to get rid of it. I'm thinking some kind of putty, but I'm not 100% sure as of yet.

The CMK cockpit set actually got rid of those cockpit lugs. They completely replaced the sidewalls of the main wheel well, so all of the sidewall kit detail had to be removed first.

I'm sure your build looks great. I've been following your Spitfire and F-16 build, and they are amazing.

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Looking forward to the next areas to receive your attention: wings, guns bays and the engines.

Keep 'em coming

Peter :popcorn: :popcorn:

OK Matt. Shes looking good. Sorry I missed you in Elk Grove yesterday. But keep up the great work you have going...........Harv :popcorn:

It's fine Harv. I didn't end up making it up to the Elk Grove contest. I had a concert on Friday night and Saturday night, so I was quite busy. I would have only been able to be at the contest for a couple of hours, so I decided against going up.

But thank you for the nice comments. I have been working diligently on this one, and actually have the wing attached. Pictures will be up momentarily.

Matt

Looking forward to the next areas to receive your attention: wings, guns bays and the engines.

Keep 'em coming

Peter :popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks Peter! The wings actually won't receive much added detailing, but the engines and gun bay will really receive the brunt of the work.

Here is some more progress. I'm moving along much faster now, and the wings are on the -262. The top sides came out very well, as the first primer coat will show. There are some problem areas on the underside though to address. The upper wing-root seams just required a tiny amount of Mr. Surfacer 500. The underside joints though have a layer of Tamiya Basic Putty on them though to take care of the various steps that occurred from getting the wing on. This part has to be very smooth because of the NMF/RLM 76 underside colors, but I think I can do it. Re-adding all of the surface detail though will really be a test. Especially with the screw-head detail and fasteners. I think I might try and punch the holes with some hollow aluminum tube.

I hope that you guys enjoy the photos. Next step will be to get the cowlings on, and then start getting towards the gun bay, and painting stages.

Me-262A-1aEarly046.jpg

Me-262A-1aEarly047.jpg

Me-262A-1aEarly048.jpg

Me-262A-1aEarly049.jpg

Me-262A-1aEarly051.jpg

Me-262A-1aEarly052.jpg

Me-262A-1aEarly053.jpg

Thanks everyone for reading in. I hope that you are all enjoying this build, I'm having fun with it.

Hope to be back soon with some more progress, but since I'm getting to the end of my semester, things are getting very busy.