New: 1/32 He 219 Radiator Cowl Gills

Radub

Hi,

I would like to announce the launch of my latest product, a set of radiator cowl gills to improve the look of the Revell 1/32 He 219 kit units.

More information here:http://www.radubstor...products_id=427

Also, I would like to announce the launch of the 1/32 Sutton QS Seat Harness. This is the late-war seat harness used on all British-made / RAF aircraft from the summer of 1944 until the introduction of ejection seats. Suitable for all late-war and post-war British planes fitted with bubble canopies such as Spitfire, Typhoon, Tempest, Vampire, Venom, Meteor.

More information here:http://www.radubstor...products_id=426

Thank you for your support!

Radu

Edited by Radub

Hi Radu,

Now we just need a Vampire and Meteor to fit them to!.

Eric.

Actually, this is the set I should be using on my Spitfire Mk 24. I'm using Radu's standard Sutton harness, which is technically incorrect for the period. Of course, that's all that was available at the time, and I've already started fitting them!

Kev

These seatbelts were used on more than Vampires and Meteors. :-) I also would love to see a Vampire, but wasn't there a Meteor on its way...? .

They were used on most aircraft manufactured after the summer of 1944. In fact, there are a number of photos that show that these seatbelts were used on some Mk.IX Spitfires in Normandy. The Mk.IX Spitfire in Czech Republic featured in the WWP book was fitted with these. They became standard by late-1944/early-1945, used on all aircraft flying in the European theatre of operations, FAA aircraft in the Pacific, etc. They were also standard on Seafires from mark XV onwards.

Radu

Radu

Will one set do a Mosquito or do you need two.

Also will you be at Telford

Eoin

Each package includes enough material for one seat harness, so for a two-seat plane you need two packages.

Radu

Hey Radu can you do all us pilots a favor and call them by there real name.

They are cowl flaps not cowl gills..

Cowl gills is a fictional name dreamt up by modellers over the last few years not knowing that cowl flaps even though they have been around for 90 years plus have a name.

Great product ill be grabbing some!

True, very true!

However, using the word "flaps" would cause confusion considering that these items are not the actual "flaps" themselves but rather just the "actuator plates" of the flap mechanism. ;-)

Radu

Fair enough....just figure the right name might actually teach those who decide to make up there own Ames for things a thing.

Even the new Franks book on the HE-219 calls them cowl gills for reasons that I can't fathom other than ignorance.

Maybe we can call ailerons rollernators in future as most don't speak French.

Or flaps as the dangly out bits.

Modellers getting confused about a part name is part of the education about highly technical pieces of equipment, if people want accurate kits maybe calling the parts by there correct name is a good place to start.

Be looking forward to more of your stuff Radu!!!

Darren, you (and I!) obviously grew up with written Airfix instructions, when 'Locate and Cement....' preceded the actual names of the components! Now we have gone all diagrams-only with our instruction sheets, that educational element of building model kits has gone out of the window. All part of society being dumbed-down to the level of an 8-year old. Anyone watched a TV documentary recently that doesn't repeat itself every 3 minutes, and has blaring music over every spoken word? Bah.....

Tim

PS Will the straps be available at the Telford show by any chance? I'll add them to my little list. They look spot on!!

As I said, my intention was to add a little bit of detail to the kit. Honestly, my intention was not to mis-educate, spread ignorance, dumb down, and so on. I just looked at this as a hobby product. All I can do is apologise for causing such a furore.

Tim, I will have a few harnesses with me in Telford but I will not have a stand as such. I will be around the MDC stand from time to time, but I will also be signing books at the Aviation Bookshop stand (I do not know the time yet) and I will have a few business meetings, so I may be hard to find. Please PM me is you need anything in particular and I will make a package for you then sort out a time when we can meet.

Radu