WnW Pfalz D.IIIa Finished.

ericg

Yeah mate, it would have taken a bit more work to fix the F-117 if it had gone wrong, but you would have been in a lot more pain if the lozenge decals on the Pfalz didn't settle down nicely.

You did a great job on both aircraft.

Well, after enjoying success with applying the Lozenge decals, I clear coated them to give them a bit of protection. Didn't have my mind on the job on the port wing and shot the clear to thick. The result was spiderweb like cracks all over the surface where the clear dried at different rates. I tried cleaning it off with windex and sanding it back but in order to do a proper job, a full strip was the only way. I searched through all of the other WNW kits that had Lozenge decals and the closest that I could find was some from the Rumpler. It has enough for one wing but upon closer inspection, the blue was a shade different (slightly more purple). I felt the only way forward was to order the full upper lozenge sheet that is available from WNW. Hopefully the shades match the starboard wing, or else I will have to strip it as well so that both sides match. Just one of the frustrations of modelling I guess, but hopefully a learning experience.

IMAG1059.jpg

IMAG1061.jpg

Onto the decals that really make this model! I must say that I felt a bit apprehensive about this stage as these decals have to be pretty well perfect to be effective. Clearly some thought has gone into their design. It comes in three pieces and all relies on the correct positioning of the centre spine piece.

IMAG1060.jpg

I got a small split in the white section of the comets tail when I applied the decal. this was mostly through smoothing the decal over the curve of the fuselage, in the process stretching it.

IMAG1062.jpg

The port side decal applied. I fixed the small tear with a sliver of white from another decal. I was crapping myself the whole way through this one as it was a ***** to position correctly.

IMAG1070.jpg

This pic shows both sides coming together,and still settling down under a coat of Micro set (Note, I would not recommend using Microsol on these decals unless you have to.) There is a small gap where the decals dont meet the painted black portion of the tail.

IMAG1065.jpg

The finished product, I have fixed the gap with a tiny portion of black decal. I am quite happy with the results, considering that the application of the three decals was fraught with danger with lots of opportunities to go wrong. any lesser quality decals would a have ended in a tangled and torn mess and with me under my desk in the feotal position.

IMAG1069.jpg

Stencil Data!! With me on board, there would only be enough room for 110kg of fuel and ammo.

IMAG1071.jpg

The progress on the engine. Barracuda inlet manifold. I have used the Flory wash to highlight some detail

IMAG1079.jpg

Edited by ericg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

Sorry to read about the clear cote and the cracking problem. Hope the new decal sheet arrives quickly to keep the build going. What clear cote did you use?

Brilliant decal work .. just love it. I know how you feel after doing BBD checkerboard nose.

One terrific job ... she looks awesome :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter :popcorn: :popcorn:

Edited by Peterpools

Hi Peter(pools),

I use PAAST, which is a reverse engineered version of future. Had a friend rave about it so I got some but have struggled with it for a while.It is now in the bin and I am back to using the stuff from the local supermarket.

Anyway,

A small update. I am trying to get the panels around the engine to have a bit of life about them so I have used a combo of alclad clolours. I really think this model will come together with a decent wash.

IMAG1087.jpg

I applied the top wing decals, still to do the ailerons. These decals are absolutely awesome. I believe that the comet that I have applied is a sort of WIP in itself as it was believed that the real aircraft only had the black portion of the comet head, with WnW supplying the decal as seen here for those that wish to portray the aircraft as it would eventually looked.

IMAG1088.jpg

A test fit of the wings, I wish I hadn't messed up the lower left wing!, I have some more lozenge on the way.

IMAG1081.jpg

IMAG1082.jpg

The completed undercarriage. The outer hub faces are a very tight press fit.

IMAG1080.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

SWEET. Love the NMF around the engine area and the balance of the decaling work is perfect. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I'm an old stick in the mud and don't usually try anything new just for the problem you had without seeing how it's worked for others. :wicked: Glad the new decals are on their way.

Looking real good and keep 'em coming.

Peter :popcorn: :popcorn:

A small update,

I took a pile of ordinary looking exhaust stubs:

IMAG1095.jpg

And turned them into these:

IMAG1097.jpg

Shoehorned the engine into the fuselage, the Barracuda intake will need some trimming to get the cowling to fit over it. I just cant convince myself to leave the cowl off, as I like to have my aircraft displayed clean, and in a ready to go state, even though I will sacrifice the view of the engine that I have put a reasonable amount of time into.

IMAG1099.jpg

IMAG1100.jpg

Assembling the tail feathers

IMAG1101.jpg

Hi Kev,

I used a small drill bit to start the centre and then used a progressively larger bit until I was confident that I had in fact found the centre, then I used a NEW no 11 blade to enlarge the hole until I had consitently thin edges. I then painted the inside of the hole with Tamiya extra thin cement to disolve all of the burs, and smooth all of the tool marks. This was well before beer No. 7 of course!

Guest Peterpools

Eric

Super work on the exhaust pipes.

I'm not to far from starting on my Mercedes engine and have the Barracuda resin manifold. Thanks for the advice about needing to do a bit of fitting to get things to fit.

Peter

Hi Kev,

I used a small drill bit to start the centre and then used a progressively larger bit until I was confident that I had in fact found the centre, then I used a NEW no 11 blade to enlarge the hole until I had consitently thin edges. I then painted the inside of the hole with Tamiya extra thin cement to disolve all of the burs, and smooth all of the tool marks. This was well before beer No. 7 of course!

Thanks Eric. That's pretty much what I try to do too, but I always seem to miss centre, and by the time I realise it, it's too late! Same thing happened when I drilled out the exhausts on my Matchbox Spitfire...

Kev