WnW Pfalz D.IIIa Finished.

ericg

By the time I jump in my car and drive to the nearest knitting shop and home again my gas guzzling car would have burnt way more juice than the cost difference of getting it from Wingnut wings..

Eric.

If you didn't have a Vommodore you could afford modelling and driving to the model shop. :)

They have the GMC version of the Vommodore over here, even Monaros and SV6's. I cringe everytime I see one.

Seriously though, your wood panelling is superb mate and I look forward to seeing your progress and skills on an older era aeroplane mate. Looking really good mate.

Hrmmm.

I wonder about the thicknesses of the knitting thread, and the possibility of painting it? Seem like changing the color on elastic thread could be problematic :hmmm:

The stuff I've used can be stretched to somewhere between 5x and 10x its original length, so you'd want to colour it after fixing it in place. As you can imagine, at those stretch levels, it gets pretty thin! If you're keen, you can even split it into smaller threads, but I find that tends to make it unravel and become 'fuzzy'. For colouring, I'd just used a coloured marker rather than paint.

Having said all this, I suspect EZ-Line probably solves a few problems that knitting-in elastic doesn't, but the latter is still way better than stretched sprue or other alternatives.

Kev

There was a guy selling EZ-Line at Expo a couple of years back, and I was really shocked at how expensive it was (shocked enough not to buy any!).

Kev

You and me both Kev. I've looked at some in the past since you never know quite where it'll come in handy but was put off by the exorbitant price. I'll have to see if I can find any of the cheaper variety here in Blighty.

Cheers.

WNW RFC flat flying wire is knitting in elastic. EZ line reportedly has a different profile (round not flat). Personally, I can't pick the flat profile in the knitting-in elastic and would rather use RB's flat etch for RFC flying wire ... Eric if you can spend the difference between what it costs to buy EZ line and what it costs to buy knitting-in elastic in gas money, you are getting lousy mileage out of your Holden.

Thanks for the input on the different types of rigging available fellas. I think I will just stay with the EZ line and knitting in elastic as supplied by Wingnut Wings. When you consider how many models each roll will rig, we aren't really talking about that much in cost overall.

I have encountered a problem with the colour call outs and mixing some of the paints as recommended by Wingnuts.

They are saying a 2:1 ratio of Flat Aluminium to Sky Grey will give the appropriate silver grey for the exterior colour. I recalled that someone had problems with the same mix but in Humbrol colours whereby the metal coloured paint doesn't mix that well with the normal paint. Here are the results of using mixed Tamiya paints. I chose to paint some small areas first. As you can see, they look very `pigmented' for want of a better word. To ensure the parts were optically flat, I have given them a coat of future to see what they would look like with a final coat. I will strip these parts and start again, but this time I may thin with a more agressive thinner such as Mr thinner.

IMAG0961.jpg

IMAG0962.jpg

Some more progress on the cockpit. I annealed the seatbelts by heating them up under the flame of a lighter, so that they would bend alot easier. Hopefully I have the natural sag over the back of the seatbelt right. A trick that I use after I attach photoetch seatbelts to a seat is to give the whole assembly (seat and belts) a good coat of future so that I can apply a wash and it is able to build up in the crevices and not run under the metal belts.

I have chosen to leave the engine out at this stage to make handling easier, hopefully it wont be too hard to put back in.

IMAG0981.jpg

IMAG0987.jpg

IMAG0988.jpg

IMAG0991.jpg

IMAG0993.jpg

That looks so tiny compared to your Jets Eric.

But that is a really bad picture though mate. It shows me two things that I can't do over here in the sand. Drink and make models. I am fixing the model building but I can't get a Corona. :fight: I hope I can still build a model without a beer on the desk. :innocent: