WnW Pfalz D.IIIa Finished.

ericg

Here are the three different types of turnbuckle, seperated from their `sprue'

IMAG1500.jpg

If one looks at the middle turnbuckle here , it has a spade end to accept p/e flat rigging. I would urge research into the p/e flat rigging prior to trying to get it to work. Jus' sayin'...

I just got my order of the GasPatch turnbuckles a few days ago and on initial inspection the look really good if not a little rough in texture. I was planning on spraying them with a Tamiya's grey primer and then a dark brass colour mix.

Cheers,

Wolf

Hi Wolf, do you think the turnbuckles would survive being cleaned up with the wire brush fitting in a dremel. works well for white metal gear?

If one looks at the middle turnbuckle here , it has a spade end to accept p/e flat rigging. I would urge research into the p/e flat rigging prior to trying to get it to work. Jus' sayin'...

This is where, for the price of the turnbuckles, I think Gas Patch could really help out. Some good guidance materials and advice about which aircraft to use the turnbuckles on would be great.

Dave, they look great when viewing the model with the naked eye. I dont think there is any need to clean them up with a dremel. You will be there for ages, the carpet monster will consume most of them and you would be over complicating a very simple process.

In answer to your question, you will use all of the three different types over the different models that wnw produce, so having all three makes sense. For the less financial amongst us, type a is the one I would get most of. It is the one on the left of the three that I have posed the knife blade. I have used that one in the pfalz build so far and it will be the one that I use in 90% of the remainder of the build.

The one with the spade end is designed to be inserted into a hole in the airframe as if it is attached to the wooden structure.

The last one is one you would use if there was a need to join two pieces of rigging together.

Eric.

If the one with the spade end is designed to be inserted into the fuselage rather than recieve an RFC flat flying wire, does that mean none are suited to use with RB etch flying wires (I had hoped this was the purpose of the one with the spade end)?

I was thinking RB etch would be the way to go with my SE5 as I prefer their appearance to elastic for RFC wires. .

If the one with the spade end is designed to be inserted into the fuselage rather than recieve an RFC flat flying wire, does that mean none are suited to use with RB etch flying wires (I had hoped this was the purpose of the one with the spade end)?

I was thinking RB etch would be the way to go with my SE5 as I prefer their appearance to elastic for RFC wires. .

The turnbuckle could be cut in half and one end drilled into the wing. The transition from flat to round would be represented then. Please check my attempts to use the RB flat rigging on this site. RB sells terminals for the p/e flat rigging as well.

http://forum.largesc...showtopic=41316

Good luck with it , it defeated me in the wing bays, still poed I failed on it.

Edited by krow113

Here is the way that I am rigging the Pfalz. I have a full set of Bobs Buckles in my parts store and fully intended to use them in this build. I usually dont bother looking up other peoples techniques of doing things as i like to come up with my own way. This time was no different, so here goes!

I pre-installed the small copper eyelets (Bobs Buckles) in all of the required places in the upper wing whilst it was off the aircraft.

IMAG1536.jpg

I then glued the top wing on and let it set. Please note my brand new, super expensive jig, which is doing a great job with both the Hunter and the Pfalz.

IMAG1546.jpg

Here are the fine brass tubes from the Bobs buckles range, threaded onto some fine wire and pre-coloured with a black permanent marker. I found this way it was easier to colour them.

IMAG1538.jpg

IMAG1539.jpg

Thread the EZ-line through the eyelet leaving equal lengths either side of the eyelet. The longer, the better as it means you can tie the knots well away from the model and `slide' them up to the eyelet.

IMAG1565.jpg

IMAG1572.jpg

Thread both ends of the EZline through the tube

IMAG1567.jpg

A small drop of superglue to set the knot and then slide the brass tube up to the eyelet.

Set the Gaspatch turnbuckle at the correct angle into the bottom wing and tie one of the two lengths of EZline onto the turnbuckle with one or two knots. Set the knot with superglue.

IMAG1584.jpg

this part is where having the two lengths either side of the eyelet may come in handy. If you mess up the first wire, then there is a spare one ready to go. It is possible to cut too close to the knot and you will snap the wire, or it will come loose from the turnbuckle.

With the spare length of EZline, stretch it and cut it close to the tube. The stretchiness of the EZline will retract the cut end back into the brass tube, leaving a very neat termination of the wire.

IMAG1592.jpg

The finished product

IMAG1593.jpg

Some other stuff that didnt make the maximum of 10 pics allowable in one post.

I thought I would prime the buckles to see if it smoothed them out a little, which it did. I used Gunze Mr Metal Primer, shot straight through the airbrush.

IMAG1564.jpg

Here is the reason why I use EZline. I guess there could be a situation where the quoted %700 stretch factor could be tested (such as during transport) So I tested it a bit, just for fun.

IMAG1594.jpg

Getting there

IMAG1559.jpg

Eric,

Thanks very much for sharing your technique. Right now I'm rigging my S.E.5a with fine wire, but cutting the right lengths for some of the short segments has been tedious at best. You've definitely got me thinking about using your technique on my next build!

Cheers,

Tom

Wow. Great work Eric. Thanks for the tip on the Riot Art pencil for the prop. I've gotta jump in the deep end with that woodgrain one of these days. I like the spattering effect by flicking the brush. I'm sure I've airbrushed that at times. I can't imagine a plane operating from a grass strip in winter not getting grubby underneath. I have the same kit especially cause I loved that Comet scheme. Better be in my best decalling form. Thanks again for taking the time to put in all the tips...silver/grey, rigging etc.

The weight limit on the plane reminds of those old Suzuki Sierra's...max load 250kg

Thanks again...a pleasure reading the thread.

Matty