Old decals...1970 Matchbox...having problems with backing. HELP!

RT-14

Alright, I've got some older decals that came with a couple of 1970 Matchbox kits. The wierd thing is that the decal sheets have a clear film , paper if you will. The decals come off the heavier blue backing but they refuse to come apart from the 'clear' covering. They've been soaking for two hours now and they won't surrender! lol

Anyhoo...if any of you have any ideas on how to rescue these little girls I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks!

Are you talking about the cloudy, slightly 'waxy' protective sheet that all the old Matchbox decals used to come with? If so, once that gets stuck to the decals themselves, there's really no practical recovery. And unfortunately a lot of those old Matchbox 1/32 kits are not well-serviced as far as aftermarket decals are concerned.

Kev

Thanks Kevin...I KNEW I wasn't just imagining this. Well, I've got some newer decals with similar markings so I think I'll just let these 'stew' in the water for a couple of days...see what happens...and if they refuse to give up the ghost? I'll use the newer ones. Same roundels, but the lettering (Red) for the RAF 161 (Special Duties) Squadron Tempsford late '42 I might just have to hand paint. Same with the tail emblazon and fuese #.

I wonder if slow heating on the stove would work? Good chance for experimentation anyway...

Not like this Lysander MK I/III is getting judged...although I'm having tons of fun with the paint job...new Paasche 1/10 HP compressor really kicks out the psi's.

Edited by RT-14

Good news Kev. Lo and Behold! The decal gods have been good to me. I simmered the decals in a small saucepan watching over my 'cooking' and slowly but surely I was able to wrangle the original decals off of that 'waxy paper' as you put it. There was a small tear on the very last decal (Murphy's Law), but I quickly put it to rights on the fuse. One thing I LOVE about this Lysander...the wheel pant canards. First lifting canards that come to mind were on the 1903 Wright Flyer.

So alls well that ends in the well....... :) PATIENCE and tenacity are the keys. I'm happy to report that now any of you people who wish to buy an old matchbox kit can rest assured that the ORIGINAL decals can be coaxed with a little time and effort.

My wife calls me the 'Expediter' for a reason I suppose...

NOW. On with the build!!!

Edited by RT-14