This old house

JRutman

Id call being a legend in modeling AND having an LSP award named after you a success! :D

Of course I have no real life or passions other than modeling so my perspective may be skewed slightly.........

Edited by Out2gtcha

Guest Dekenba

Id call being a legend in modeling AND having an LSP award named after you a success! :D

Of course I have no real life or passions other than modeling so my perspective may be skewed slightly.........

That's right - obtaining the respect and admiration of your peer group and being recognised as one of the very best at what you do is pretty bloody awesome.

That's right - obtaining the respect and admiration of your peer group and being recognised as one of the very best at what you do is pretty bloody awesome.

Very nice of you to say guys! I deeply appreciate that.

J

Hiya Kev - did indeed - and he was on good form :)

Managed to get down to one of the club meets (missed the second).

Whole club really friendly and standards extremely high.

Iain (who's returned to snowy England, but would rather be back on a small island in the Med...)

Really beautiful work Jerry - just gets better and better!

BTW - just got back from 2 weeks in Malta - you'd have loved the architecture...

Iain

Holy crap man,how did you manage to get to go on that little trip? I always wanted to see the harbor fortifications,etc. I am green with envy.

J

Thanks Bill,

Going to skeetercon this year?

J

I think so. I have been so busy at work, I haven't had much chance to do modeling except on weekends. In Vegas all next week and then Dusseldorf the week after. All bix and no pleasure.

• 3 weeks later...

Your walk-throughs are really good and you have captured the "I've been been here for ages" look on the buildings. It's also very clear you are excellent at observation. A superb job. But could I ask a question please? I see you start with plaster which is then scribed. How do you then build up colour and what paints do you use? Is the final effect the result of numerous washes and tints or do you have the knack (gift) of a single splosh of paint?

Thanks in advance,

Trevor

Your walk-throughs are really good and you have captured the "I've been been here for ages" look on the buildings. It's also very clear you are excellent at observation. A superb job. But could I ask a question please? I see you start with plaster which is then scribed. How do you then build up colour and what paints do you use? Is the final effect the result of numerous washes and tints or do you have the knack (gift) of a single splosh of paint?

Thanks in advance,

Trevor

Anyone that knows me would tell you I am cheap with model materials. I use whatever is at hand so the paint is a mixture of acrylics and enamels and oil. The stone work was sealed with a basecoat of enamal old cement color because it was on hand. Then a wash of dark grey and a little dry brushing. The wood was done with vallajo and has a base of medium grey and then a wash of red brown with a little off white dry brushing and that is pretty much it. I painted the roof tiles overall dark grey and then dry brushed a red brown over the whole roof. I then painted certain tiles different colors as these old roofs had a lot of replacement tiles over the years. A little dry brushing to tone down things and that's it. I used to try to imagine things but have finally figured out the best way to replicate reality is to copy it!! Vallejo paints are top notch but there are cheaper alternatives like the hobby paints available in craft stores.

Thanks for looking in and for your very kind thoughts,

J