Scribing Resin?

Going to need to do some rescribing of some lost panel lines on a resin Fisher Panther kit. Any issues I need to know about when trying to rescribe resin (vice plastic)? Any tips on what are the best tools and techniques?

Thanks

Collin

Guest Peterpools

Collin

With my Panther, I just re-scribed lost panel lines very lightly and gently cleaned them up with no real problems. Of course, if I ever get to finish it, I'll first see how well they actually came out.

Peter

Overall, I have found resin to be slightly more difficult to scribe well than styrene. I don't know how to describe it...but the resin seems a bit "gummier" or something. It does not scribe quite as crisply and the lines have the tendency to become too wide if you are not very careful.

What works best for me is to use Dymo tape as a guide, then very lightly do an initial scribe with a sharp needle in a pin vise. Then I use one of those ultra thin photo etched metal saws to deepen the scribe. This works well because you can make the line deep enough to withstand primer and paint without it becoming too wide.

I have a kit of those thin saws (I think they were from Hasegawa) that were sold as a scribing kit. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes to work on just about any model surface you might be confronted with.

I've found it's best to make an initial line with either a pin or I use a slightly blunt #11 blade. If you just attack the flat surface with a scriber you run the risk of chipping the edges of the line.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Tape down the dymo too with masking tape?

I'll try this next time, I've been using templates, rulers, and bits of card stock as scribing guides so far. Dymo seems useful but on the two models that I've tried it on it just would not stick. Thanks guys

Dave, forgive me for asking but did you remove the backing on the Dymo tape?

Sorry to be off subject. Resin scribing is like all scribing. Start with a needle and then your preferred scribing tool. Always apply light pressure. If you meet resistance STOP.