Collin

Is there a lot of shrinkage with Fisher models?

I started a 2003 F9F-5 Panther a few days ago. I have the cockpit done, and from dry fitting the cockpit it looks like things just don't line up very well (cockpit to upper fuselage, nose landing gear bay is out of position and speedbreak well is not lined up). I also am wondering about the instrument panel cowling, the part that fits under the front canopy (which is integrated with the main instrument panel). That part is pretty much not even close to fitting, it's about 1/3 the actual size of the opening. I'm going to have to pull out some Milliput and fill in the gap and paint over...which afterward should look fine. I have dry fit the wing/fuselage and that looks like it will take some work as well.

This is my first resin model, and my first Fisher kit (I have the Sea Fury on the shelf...also purchased in 2003). I am wondering if this is just "normal ops" for a resin/Fisher kit, or have I been a victim of shrinkage? It's a fun build so far, challenging...but fun.

Cheers

Collin

Normally they are great kits with no fit issues what so ever. If its an early release, may have been shipped with parts already ill fitting. Possibly. I have two of Pauls Fb.11s, his Red Baron, built his Sept Fury, and will be picking up one of his SkyRays, and so far the 3 I have have no issies except 1, and that is the Red Baron spinner 1st half, is slightly larger than the diameter of the fuse. So there may be that odd kit that goes out with some shrinkage.

I know it sounds crazy, but I might even give Paul a call, and get him some pics or something..............cant hurt.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Guest Peterpools

Collin

I'm about half way through my Panther and all the part fit have been right on the money. If you have some poorly molded parts, fire off an email to Paul or Brian and I'm sure they will be able to solve the problems

Great company - great people

Peter

Here are some pics. The instrument cowling is pretty easy to see.

The cockpit/gear bay/SB bay assembly slides in, but what you see here is as far as it goes (even after some sanding and filing away some resin high spots. The front of the nose gear bay lines up correctly as does the rear bulkhead of the cocpit with the fuselage opening. From the looks of it the SB leading edge doesn't match up, unless this is the way it was supposed to look.

I test fitted the wing and had to shave off some the leading lower fuselage body to get the SB well to not interfere, but what you see here is as far as the wing and fuselage will come together.

I should have the cockpit installed sometime today, and hopefully get the fuselage/wing joined tonight and glued with 2 part epoxy and superglue. Then I will clamp it together and just let it dry for a few days...then grab the Milliput and other fillers and go to work.

Cheers

Collin

DSCN3742.jpg

DSCN3753.jpg

DSCN3751.jpg

DSCN3752.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Colin

My cockpit and interior fit perfectly and all the re-work I had to do, was my fault. I would send the photos to Paul and Brian as the wing and fuselage looks like a mismatch.

Peter

"Fit perfectly" is something my particular kit is having trouble with.

I shot them an email and hopefully I will have some insight on this from the source.

Cheers

Collin

Guest Peterpools

Collin

Two quick pics from my Panther build of those problem areas. In the first photo, you can see how tight the instrument panel cover is to the fuselage. All the extra mess and work is I didn't get the wings on "square" and had to cut them off twice and put everything back together with Steel epoxy twice. What a mess.

PCW_0144.jpg

PCW_0141.jpg

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Ta152H1

I think the folks at Fisher have a thing or three to explain for it looks like a terribly mismatched kit...Collin's I mean!Peter's "screwed up the pooch" (we all do from time to time!) but has brilliantly solved the problem and as far as the fitting of the other parts is concerned,well...nothing to compare to the mess seen in Collin's kit!

Whatever...I echo Peter as saying "great company and great people"...they'll be more than willing to help you out!

Cheers

Lou

Guest Peterpools

Lou

Definitely some amiss on Collins Panther. Could it be a -2 and a -5 mixed together?

Peter

I really don't want to stop working on it...but I have a weird impression I'm not working with a correct model. Could I have a box of mixed parts? I have resin sprus with multiple extra parts, like an extra gunsight (vice the one already built into the instrument panel), rudder pedals and other various odds and ends (multiple oxygen hoses). Don't know if this is normal or not. I just checked the colors of the fuselage and wings. Fuselage is a gray color while the wings are a cream/gray color. Don't know if that means anything either.

I just checked again...the fuselage is a tall tail dash 5.

Collin

Edited by Collin

Guest Peterpools

Collin

Sure is possible you box had a miss match of parts.Paul had running at the same time:

Panther F5F-2 and F5F-5

The Cougar

Things could have been mixed.

Peter