Trumpeter F-14D

SR10user

I hope you guys don't mind, but I think I'll jump into this online build thing. I'm just coming back into building after taking about 10 years off (depending on when you actually think I stopped). I really missed the hobby, so it was time to get back in. I've always wanted a F-14D and I think Trumpeters offer is the best option out there, warts and all. My best friend was a big fan of the Tomcat, and converted several of the Tamiya offerings during his time with us. His crowning achievement was a VF-31 F-14D using just about every aftermarket option out there. The only thing he never got around to doing was a Tomcat with the flaps and slats out. Paragon was to release a set, but that never happened, and shortly after my friend took sick and passed away.

So the plan is a low viz line bird of VF-2. I'm starting with the Trumpeter 1/32 F-14D kit, Aires 2174 F-14D Cockpit, Aires 2117 F-14D Nozzles, Wheeliant 132 001 F-14D Wheel Set, And the following Eduard sets: 32269 F-14D Exterior, 32309 F-14D Armament, 32310 F-14D Undercarriage, 32706 F-14D Seatbelts, and 32707 F-14D Interior S.A. I've got some Zotz decals heading my way, and a deadline (2 Feb 2013), so I think I've got everything I need to begin. Wish me luck!!!

10a5b833.jpg

Dave

Thanks Peter, I hope I don't disappoint.

Thanks DaneBramage (love the name BTW)

My brilliant idea of the day...... let's see how bad I can mess up $100 of aftermarket. :mental: I love the detail of the Aires cockpit. Absolutely stunning! One thing that's always escaped me was the stenciling above the buttons on the consoles. I mean, we usually buy another decal sheet just for stencils for the outside of the plane, so why not stencil the inside? Eduard's preprinted set is very nice, but designed to use on the kit parts. I toyed with that idea for a while, but to bring the kit parts up to the level of detail of the Aires cockpit is more work than I cared to do (remember the deadline). So...... I just took a deep breath and carved of the panel detail of the Aires cockpit. The two combined pretty easily actually. I had to be careful carving. Some of the Aires detail I wanted to keep (ie the LANTIRN stick and panel immediately behind that) and of course the flat detail from the Eduard set had to be trimmed away to fit around the resin. When all is done up and painted, I'll punch some buttons using a punch and die set , and add some switches using some fine wire. All in all, not to hard. I got the back seat done, and thought I'd post my progress. On to the front seat......

Thanks for looking,

Dave

fe9f54ae.jpg

557f5907.jpg

Good Start Dave!

So I'm made yet combination of the resin cockpit and the colour Edard set, just on the F-14 kit, what You can see in this forum too. I waithing some etch parts now, hence I stoped the build, but I will time to watch your build :)

good work: Feri

Quick update for tonight. I didn't get a lot of time to work on my Tomcat. Sunday is family time usually, but I did at least get a little painting done tonight. Got the pit painted and the left over resin details painted black. I couldn't help but throw the placards back on to take a look. Before I head off to bed, I'll give it a shot of Future for tomorrows Payne's Gray oil pin wash to help pop out those molded in details.

Thanks for looking, and thanks for all the support and kind words.

Dave

e798909c.jpg

578f053f.jpg

262281f7.jpg

ef1ccdb0.jpg

Edited by SR10user

Aires was at the IPMS Nationals in Orlando. I asked him for seats for the F-14D, and he pulled out this set. Apparently it is brand new. If it's not out yet, it should be very soon. I didn't realize I had something special until a friend went to try and order one. I can't imagine it will be to much longer.

Dave