TA-183 scratchbuild

Boy, I'm really enjoying this. It is a real pleasure watching someone else walk down the road I had trod many years ago. Superb work Vaughn :goodjob:

Derek

Thanks Derek, glad you are enjoying. I hope you do gather a bunch of info on that Russian beast and show us how things are done sometime soon !

Cheers

Vaughn

Jims comment got me to thinking (a VERY dangerous thing !) ... I had been looking at the model and contemplating an engine....so I dug out a Revell ME-262 and looked over the Jumo 004 the kit provides. My idea was to use it pretty much as is, more for the intake/exhaust area's as the thing is pretty poor in detail by todays standards.

DSCF0477.jpg

Looking at ref on line however showed me tons of things that needed to be changed/ fixed/ replaced to make it look at all like the real thing. The intake supports should be only 4 points, not the 8 shown.

DSCF0478.jpg

The exhaust cone is pretty much totally wrong...the drawing gives the correct shape.

DSCF0479.jpg

As I suffer from an advanced case of AMS, of course these issues had to be addressed... :frantic: .....Cutting the back plate away from the exhaust cone and using sections cut from drop tanks and bombs I started revamping the part.

DSCF0480.jpg

With some thick CA and some sanding I came up with this...while still a bit rough it's got the shape. A bit more and it'll be good to go.

DSCF0481.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

Rotor sections are very visible in this scale so I had to simulate these. First, a disc was scribed and popped out of sheet using a divider as a scoring/cutting tool.

DSCF0484.jpg

Using the center dot as a guide and my scribing tool I scribed lines into the disc.

DSCF0487.jpg

With the intake fins cut down to the 4 that are supposed to be there and the rotor installed it looks ok. Not that much will be able to be seen down the intake tunnel but it'll be there for anyone who cares to look.

DSCF0491.jpg

The exhaust rotor is very visible on the model, this will look a LOT better

DSCF0482.jpg

It was fun playing with plastic today (It was raining so no sanding wood parts outside), can't wait to get the masters done and the parts pulled so I can really get going on this.

Cheers

Vaughn

Isn't it fun scribing engine fans Vaugn (I have made countless numbers of those things for all of the 1/144 scale airliner patterns that I used to make!). This superb build is coming on so fast - be careful not to burn yourself out Vaughn :unsure:

Cheers

Derek

Fantastic scratch-building tutorial as always Vaughn. I never fail to learn something from your posts.

Kev

Thanks Kev, glad to show what I do and glad you find it helpful. So...when are YOU gonna start a scratchbuild ?... :evil_laugh:

:D

Vaughn