1/32 Seafire Mk17 Wingfold conversion + the rest

elric

Hi Bob,

Have you got the right nose for the Seafire, yours looks like a Spitfire XIV nose, whereas for the Seafire XVII you need the shorter Griffon nose as per the Spitfire XII. I sincerely hope this helps - it's a really nice project.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yep it is a MkXIV which I have to change to a 4 prop & turn down a bit to the correct size, well spotted, the correct prop I have in my spares box is to small for the conv. kit Griffin nose as you can see.

98db5707.jpg

Bob

Hi Mark, derek,

thanks for your words, not quite up to the standard of your MkXVI Derek but trying in my one bed apartment on my lounge/kitchen table.

I have been wanting to do this one for a time now but needed a visit to RNAS museum at Yeovilton for some pics.

b6f0b5c0.jpg

0d749187.jpg

74c94f36.jpg

5e2f60be.jpg

d7e4a820.jpg

784a96f1.jpg

cf455129.jpg

elric

Your work on the Seafire is daunting and excellent. Thanks, especially, for the pics of the Spitfire prototypes. I have the Paragon conversion in my stash and appreciate your lovely models -- good inspiration to tackle one version or the other

Bill

Hi Bob,

I meant the whole nose not the spinner, if you compare the above photo with the one of an Airfix Seafire XVII below you can see the exhausts etc., are further back, ie, the nose is shorter.

SeafireXVII.jpg

Hi Andy,

Blimey what an idiot how did I miss that, thanks will correct, keep watching please just incase this old sod makes another error?.

Bob.

Hi Andy,

Blimey what an idiot how did I miss that, thanks will correct, keep watching please just incase this old sod makes another error?.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

I'm sure that you will nail this one eventually. Of course, Andy is correct - I just assumed that you had that particular base already covered! (I will be tackling the Seafire XV nose conversion at some for GMF, which in common with the Spitfire XII and Seafire XVII, had the shorter single stage Griffon engines installed).

Best regards

Derek

Hi Andy,

Bob.

Hi Bob,

You really need to get the Grey Matter Spitfire XII nose, and other parts required from the set http://www.greymatte...x.php?p=2&id=76 they will sell separately, rather than trying to cut down the XIV cowl - obviously you'd have to make a Griffon Spitfire with that, but it's no bad thing :coolio: It might require a bit of work getting the nose to fit the PCM kit, as it was designed for the Hasegawa, but easier than cutting up the XIV cowl.

All the very best,

Andy

ps. I have a PCM Spitfire with all the necessary to convert it to a Spitfire FR.18 - my favourite Griffon Spitfire - and bought the clear sprue from the Tamiya XVI, you can buy it from the UK distributor, can't remember how much now, but if you want the sprue no. and contact no., just ask.

Edited by Kagemusha

Which kit are you tailoring the conversion to?

I think that Tim would want it to fit one of the PCM kits, but as the fuselage cross sections of both the Hasegawa and PCM kits are extremely close to each other, it should fit either kit equally as well.

Cheers

Derek

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips, I would do as you said normally & have a MkXII of GMF but with a long weekend off I would like to rattle on with this so.

f1fcc0ca.jpg

b93b059a.jpg

82d83827.jpg

After cutting the MkXIV nose down I was amazed to find it fitted better than before ha! ha!.

Andy, I think I have everything I need will ajust MkXVI dash, have canopy winder few other bits for starboard side,gyro gun sight, rudder + sting, retractable tail wheel,radiators, what I am not sure of is the length of the undercarriage legs they say this was extended by 8 inches, which I make about 3mm, can you help there, does not look much higher in the pics.

Bob.

P.S. Oh yes rounded front windsreen?, now that will be some fun.

Edited by elric

right not much more done, last film in series of harry potter was on tv had to see it.

Have no props for the Mk17 which with the griffin engine rotated in the opposite to the merlin, so flattened the rounded side of the props I have & added some Sqn white puty to the original flat back rounded it of there you go, the original prop on the left of the pic.

9ea23087.jpg

and to round of the evening my rendition of Stanford Tucks MkI 65 Sqn Hornchurch 1939.

original Revell MkI model used, sorry to say it was a pig of a kit.

7c000003.jpg

Bob.

Edited by elric