Big Dora

desmojen

Thanks so much for all the replies :)

A little more progress to report. I did the detail painting on the undercarriage parts, and added a little grime here and there. Unfortunately the photo hasn't captured the dirt effects on the outside very well, and they still await brake lines.

IMG_0664_zpsd0615334.jpg

The propeller blade were painted with RLM70 and then washed with  some MiG washes to dirty them up and make them look used. It is a very subtle effect, which again is very hard to see in a photo. The spinner spiral was masked and painted, because the decal broke up as soon as it got wet. Most confusing, since the rest of the decal sheet has been brilliant  :hmmm:

The main airframe has also been treated to a wash, although much thinned and probably closer to something the fashionable modeller might call a filter.

IMG_0663_zpsf707db9c.jpg

The wash has highlighted some of the engraved details, while at the same time toning down the decals a little and leaving some areas a little grimy. An initial flat coat has been added, and I can't help but think the model looks just like one of those captured aircraft photos now, with no wheels or rear canopy :)

There is more weathering to be added now, and I have to sort out all the little bits.

Cheers all, and Merry Christmas :)

Jen.

Well I knew it would happen, the model being in the finishing stages meant that I just got my head down and didn't take any more in progress photos! Well I did take one, so here it is..

IMG_0665_zpse09f4840.jpg

I made some new cannon barrels with brass tube. The kit ones are perfectly ok I guess, but would have needed hollowing out anyway. These look super nice and are strong enough to resist light knocks which the kit ones would never be. I also hollowed out the kit exhausts, which was a ball-ache because they aren't round. Thinking about it I probably have some resin ones kicking around somewhere but hey ho, it's done now!  And then I just got on with it really......

Stuff I did that hasn't already been covered in the build thread. I replaced the aerials with 0.3mm wire. In the case of the one at the back, I drilled out the base of the kit part, then snipped off the moulded aerial. The base then glued snugly into the hole provided for it, leaving a small hole for the new wire one to plug into. The Morane aerial under the wing was also drilled to accept wire, and then the mast was thinned down and shaped quite a lot before the wire was fitted into the drilled hole.

IMG_0675_zps7cbfb82f.jpg

Morane aerial is visible here, and look, I did do those brake lines at last! On the real aircraft they would have been behind the door mountings, clamped to the leg with those big jubilee clips you can see. Next time I do one of these I'll probably modify the kit parts to allow this.

I spent a bit of time with the main aerial arrangement. I drilled through the little nub on the canopy, with the intention of putting the wire right through to replicate the tensioning parts. Then I found a diagram which shows the tensioner as two wires going back to the rear bulkhead part of the canopy. So I glued the main aerial to the inside of the canopy and added two more lines to the internal structure. They are all but invisible in the photos, but trust me, they are there. I also made a teeny spring and added it to the fin end.

IMG_0667_zpsdf9c9f81.jpg

Final weathering consisted of some more bits of wash here and there, and then I tried a bit of Chris Wauchop black/brown post shading. I'm a big fan of Chris' Luftwaffe builds, they just have a 'right' look to them. I've never tried the technique before, and have left it a lot more subtle than he does, more practice required!

Then I added the characteristic massive exhaust stains. These are far less obtrusive actually then the ones on the real thing, but I didn't want to cover up all the mottling! On top of that I have niggled at areas with a cocktail stick to add scratching, and painted some tiny marks and touch ups here and there with a small brush. These marks just don't show in the photos but to the naked eye they add a nice patina to the finish. The same goes for the rivets really. They aren't all that obvious in photos but the naked picks up on the more complex look they impart to the finish nicely.

And there it was done! I will post more photos in RFI imminently.

IMG_0666_zps086f9291.jpg

I've really enjoyed this model, certainly one of my highlights for the year. I've also really enjoyed the feedback and encouragement I've received here on LSP - Thankyou so much for that, I will certainly do another WIP here soon  :)

Jen.

Edited by desmojen