Big Dora

desmojen

Hi all, I'm going to do a Revell 1/32 FW190D-9 for this. Here's what I'm starting with.

IMG_0117.jpg

It is, of course, the reboxed Hasegawa kit which I have had for some time. I couldn't find the decals (or instructions) when I dug the box out, so I ordered some decals from Hannants. Predictably, I found both the decals and the instructions today while I was doing the photos! Not to worry, the new sheet has a couple of much more interesting options :)

I have a choice of three aftermarket seatbelt options, MDC PE, Radu's fabric ones, or some HGW printed ones. I don't know for definite what I'll go with yet, but suspect that I'll use some of the buckles from the HGW set with some lead foil for the belts themselves.

Here's what fell out of the box.

IMG_0118.jpg

As you can see, it has all been played with a fair bit, and a small amount of work has already been done. I've glued the tail halves to the fuselage halves, attached the wheel well to the wing, put the cockpit tub together and built the engine plug. The original kit transparency sprue has been donated to an A-6 kit I have because I want to build that one as an A-8, so I'm doing a flat canopy Dora here using the transparency sprue from the A-6 kit. I've also dug around in my decal stash and dragged out some Airscale instrument decals to pretty up the dashboard.

So there we have it, that's what I'm starting with. I will post an update as soon as I have done anything worth showing :coolio:

Jen.

Hi Jen,

Great project - looking forward to seeing what you make of it!

Cheeky Q though - don't suppose you have the broad chord fin going spare do you?

Iain

Hi Jen,

Great project - looking forward to seeing what you make of it!

Cheeky Q though - don't suppose you have the broad chord fin going spare do you?

Iain

Thanks guys, I'll try not to make you wait too long!

Iain, I already gave away the big tail from this kit, but I have another one which still has the said tail. Might be worth making a *cough* resin copy?

Jen.

Just watch the gear legs on this one, mine is rather wonky and has stopped travelling. If I was to build another, I'd probably look into some metal legs for it. The flaps have some sink marks on them as well (missed this on mine before I painted it).

If you want another big tail for this kit, I didn't use mine and it might be floating around in the spares box. I can take a look for it if you're interested.

• 3 weeks later...

At last, some progress photos to share with you all :)

I decided (in my infinite wisdom) that I wanted to rivet this model. I was toying with the idea of having a crack at some rippled skin effect as well but two things stopped me. Firstly, not having rivetted a model before, I didn't want to push my luck with too many firsts at once!

Secondly, I realised that I'd have to map and mark out the rivet lines twice to do it. Laziness won and I decided to go with just the rivets this time. Here is the top of one of the wings all done.

IMG_0128.jpg

I have used a rivet drawing from the Kagero FW190 Vol IV book as a guide and used Radu's excellent Rivet R to actually make the marks. The order of proceedings started with a good sanding of the surface with a sanding sponge. This removed any imperfections and gave a nice smooth surface, but one that would take a pencil line well. Using the rivet drawing and a ruler, I marked out the lines I wanted to do (I haven't done every last one), and then drew along the marked lines with the Rivet R. I followed that with another light sanding with the sponge, and then some liquid cement to smooth everything out nicely. It's hard to see, so I put a light coat of RLM 02 on to try and make it easier to pick them out. So far I have done both tail planes and this upper wing surface. It does take a while.....

Internally, things are also progressing. This is the engine plug and inner areas.

IMG_0129.jpg

Basic paint colours applied, followed by a little wash. I employed heavy shading to add depth and mystery to the inner areas around the engine plug. Still to come on these parts is detail painting and probably a bit of dry brushing.

Lastly, the cockpit so far.

IMG_0130.jpg

So far, again, just basic colours and shading here, along with a coat of wash. I decided to try some of that hairspray chipping lark on the seat and floor, and I have to say that I like the result I got. I also used it to create a worn leather effect on the seat cushion. It has worked well, but is completely impossible to see in photos! Still to come here is the detail painting, some decalling, seatbelts, rudder pedals and probably a bit of dry brushing.

Jen.

Edited by desmojen

Oh, I forgot to say, I lost some parts from this. The kit has been opened and kicking around the periphery of my bench for a long time, so I suppose it was inevitable. I discovered that I had misplaced two parts. One was a strut from the engine plug, and the other is the gun cowl. I have managed to find the strut, but despite its much larger dimensions, I cannot find the gun cowl anywhere.

I have two choices open to me for this. I have an Eagle Editions resin one to hand, or I can dig out my other Dora kit from the stash and rob the cowl from that one. I'd rather use the resin one, as it is to hand, but I'll leave the final decision on that to the mods.......

Jen.

Great finish on your cockpit Jen - someone will have to explain to me how this hair spray stuff works one day, because I really like the effect :speak_cool:

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

I have two choices open to me for this. I have an Eagle Editions resin one to hand, or I can dig out my other Dora kit from the stash and rob the cowl from that one. I'd rather use the resin one, as it is to hand, but I'll leave the final decision on that to the mods.......

Jen, could you swap the resin part for the kit part in your other Dora? At least that way you have a solution that's in keeping with the general spirit of the show. If you'd really rather not, then paint the resin part Hasegawa grey and I'll never know the difference...

Kev

I tell you what, you couldn't make it up! I went stash surfing and dug out the box with the other Dora in it (right at the bottom, obviously), stole the gun cowl, and put the resin one back in the box before reassembling the stash mountain.

Today, while doing something completely unrelated, I only went and found the original gun cowl - hiding behind one of my photo lamps! :doh:

So, normal service will resume, and my Dora will be completely as Hasegawa intended :innocent:

Jen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...