Revell F-14A, #4770

LSP_Kevin

Hi folks,

I was just given a couple of Revell F-14A kits (#4770) in the boxing below:

1765-1.jpg

I'm not a jet guy, so I'm out of my depth here. What's this kit like? What's available for it in terms of upgrades and decals? How does it compare to its competitors? The surface detail seems mostly recessed, so it doesn't appear to be one of Revell's old '70s clunkers. It's most definitely huge!

Kev

Kev, I do not think there is much for it in the way of aftermarket. Most of the aftermarket stuff is for the Tamiya F-14 as it was considered the better of the two kits. It builds into an ok model but is more basic than the Tamiya or Trumpeter kits. If you just want a good shelf sitter for display this kit is fine but it dos not fall together so be prepared for some fit issues.

HTH

Link: http://hyperscale.com/features/2002/f14jb_1.htm

Edited by Cunumdrum61

Concerning aftermarket, there's not too much around for this specific kit. Decals, of course, but resin that is intended for the Tamiya kit, won't fit the Revell kit (at least in the cockpit area). Everything is a bit sparse on details, panel lines are on the heavy side, generally a straightforward build with lots of space for the ambitious scratchbuilder. Had fun with it some 15 years ago, got unfortunately destroyed when a shelf collapsed :(

How does it compare to its competitors?
I'd recommend you sell them and use the money to buy a Tamiya or Trumpeter kit.

The Revell kit is a caracature of an F-14 when compared to the other kits.

Here is one area I'm very familiar with:

Intakes_vs.jpg

The Revell intake isn't even close and is way too shallow.

The Tamiya intake is pretty close with some minor issues. They made an odd mistake on the radius on the sides at the intake lip. The left intake (not shown) has a tighter, more accurate radius than the right.

The Trumpeter intake has been discussed much (sucks) and is the weakest part of the kit. The Zactomodels replacements are coming along.

The rest of the Revell kit is about the same in that it's 'sorta F-14 like', but not.

The Tamiya kit is pretty close on shape but has a mix of raised and engraved surface detail. The kit lacks much of the detail of modern kits, especially the cockpit which has smooth panels and decals.

The Trump kit is nice but has minor shape flaws throughout, most of which can be overlooked. It does have engraved surface detail, lots of parts and lots of detail.

If you want a relatively OOB build that builds up nice and looks close, I'd go with the Trump (plus the Zactomodels intakes).

If you want to go all out, rescribe, add a lot of aftermarket and scratchbuilt detail, I'd go with the Tamiya kit.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks for your expert assessment Chris. Not being a jet guy, I don't have a great deal of interest in the F-14, or jets in general, so if I sold these (and it sounds like they're unsellable anyway!), I wouldn't replace them with another F-14 kit. I think I'll just build one OOB as a shelf-sitter, and ponder what to do with the other. Anybody interested in a trade? (The box is ginormous and flimsy, so you'd probably have to live locally to me.)

Kev

Come on Kev. You know you love the challenge of the older kits.

Well, that's true enough Dan, but I'm not sure I'm motivated enough by the subject to do so with this one. I'm not even sure where I'd put the finished article whichever approach I take...let alone two! I guess I've got the option of a bet each way at the moment.

Kev

Hey fellas, just found the some Quickboost seats on eBay:

Any use with these kits?

Kev

Hi Kev,

The seats are the correct version for an -A model Tomcat but I don't know whether they'll fit in the Revell tub.

They are included in the full resin cockpit set and are simply beautiful.

Cheers,

:piliot:

Edited by geedubelyer