Revell P-51D

xmh53wrench

Ok, so, if any of you had followed my builds since Oct, then ya gotta know this was coming.....

So, I am kinda stalled out on my 1/24 Mustang, researching belly scoop stuff and beginning to tinker around with paints and painting techniques for its NMF and silver wings.

My weakness for having 4 or 5 builds going on at the same time has officially taken over me. This is what I have come up with....sorta....

My proverbial Revell Mustang, but this one happens to be in the "Smithsonian" packaging.

IMAG1439.jpg

And having spent the early evening drawing up some generic profiles so I can play with some fictional "night fighter" paint schemes, I have come up with 3 ideas...well technically 2, as the one on the left just didnt come out as I had envisioned in my mind. But the other two, are basically modified actual squadron markings/colors that I thought couldve been probable, to turn them into night fighters. I think I will choose to make the aircraft code a number instead of a letter on this build. As of right now I am undecided on which paint scheme to use, so that will TBD...

IMAG1441.jpg

The distinctive scheme of the 343rd Fighter Squadron/55 Fighter Group, was retained but the lower portion of the Mustang would be flat black.

And the sketch below that wouldve been assigned to the 334th Fighter Squadron/4th Fighter Group, and had D-Day stripes, which is sort of contradicting, but I thought it looked better than all black.

So I guess shortly I will have a decision to make....

This will obviously be OOB, except for paint and decals, and I will "fix" up the belly scoop area with a scratched radiator and scoop exhaust door...

Edited by xmh53wrench

^^^^Too cool.....WOW look at that poor canopy^^^^

Well a bit done, this is the first "D" model I have messed with from Revell, all the others have been "B/C".....some new horribly obvious inaccuracies.....

WOW, major gap....

IMAG1444.jpg

And before and after of the seat....

IMAG1445.jpg

Also assembled the engine, and doing some plotting and planning, as now I am also scratching the aft cockpit floor, internal fuel tank, and radio/battery rack.

Hanging it up for tonight....

Did a bit more work on the IP to fill the gap under the glare shield.

I also opened up the ejection ports under the wings (I think I will just back them up with cardstock to fill them and give some dimension to the holes. I rescribed the gun/ammo access panels then sanded the rest of the wings with the exception of the flaps, ailerons, and fuel tank access panel.

Wing tops before and after...

IMAG1449.jpg

IMAG1452.jpg

Also I am leaning towards the all black with D-Day striped paint scheme..

Here we go again ... speedibuild.com master class.

Looking really good so far .. I know you were debating which colour scheme to do but are you going to do the two seater shown above? With your scratch building skills it would be "right up your strasse"

Grant

Edited by Obant

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I was ambitious today (actually this evening {isnt vacation great!}) and did some work on this as well. Added a bit of cardstock to the sidewalls, as well as painting them and detailing them. Also painted and dry brushed my modified IP. This plane will probably be displayed in flight, so no seat belts at this point.

IMAG1541.jpg

And I have decided on the all black scheme with the D-Day stripes, and neg on the second seat, this Mustang is strictly business. That seat is the seat out of another Revell P-51D, and what mine started out as....yes they (Revell) share all the parts with the P-51B model except for the fuselage, windscreen, canopy, and wings (though the only change to the wings is 6 gun barrels, and they have the B shaped forward root).... :mental:

......Oh well, I still love these kits...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well aside from being on the backburner for a bit, due to my 1/24 builds, I do have a bit of news.

Due to the nature of Revell's "D" model kit I changed a bit of direction with the build and paint of this kit. One of the kits huge inaccuracies is the presence of a "B" model wing and clam shell landing gear doors. So with that in mind I will be painting this up to represent 43-12102, the bubble canopy prototype Mustang. Since it was pulled from the "B" model assembly line, it still had that model's wing and sans-fillet vertical stabilizer. I am also under the impression it didnt have a fuselage fuel tank and the guns were removed and barrel and ejection ports sheeted over, so I will make mine to show that. Because of that I have pulled a set of wings from another "D" Revellstang that I have, so that kit will have the wing I had already modded as seen earlier.

Here is a pic of "102", and my kit sits on my shelf right in front of me just waiting for a spare few minutes to do a little something on it....hmmm, maybe this weekend....

noram-p51bx.jpg

Contemplating taking a shot at reshaping that ubber-round engine cowling.....maybe

Thanks for checking in MARU5137!

Hey Louie, If you want to graft a Tamiya Non Filleted Tail Section onto this, I have two from the 2 Kits Unused. I also have a Dallas canopy you can have as well if either would be of help. the Tails done have horizontal stabs though, those I used on my filleted tails

All the best to you and your build,

Paul

Err, can we have a chronological, detailed list of what's on the bench / on the conveyor belt .. ? I have no idea how you do it Louie, how do your keep track of everything you've got going on? My wife says that men can't multi-task, Hah ! Now I'm just going to give her your name as proof men can.

Keep 'em coming.

Grant

Well according to Mrs. XMH53Wrench....this is not multi-tasking....lol....its "one track mind with a dose of obsession and a chaser of OCD" :mental: :hmmm:

and as far as that list goes, just see my sig box (gotta admit it even keeps me a bit straight),

now, in the distant future.....

1/24 Airfix Griffon powered, counter rotating propped, boil off cooled, lean, mean, slick Spitfire WIF Air Racer,

1/24 Airfix P-51D "Bardhal Special" Air Racer, 1965

1/24 Airfix P-51 conversion to NA-73X

1/24 Airfix P-51D NMF with OD topsides (ala "SHOO SHOO BABY" or similar)

1/24 Airfix Spitfire Eagle Squadron

1/24 Airfix Hurrican Eagle Squadron

....and thats just my 1/24 stash....of course subject to change :innocent:

Well according to Mrs. XMH53Wrench....this is not multi-tasking....lol....its "one track mind with a dose of obsession and a chaser of OCD" :mental: :hmmm:

and as far as that list goes, just see my sig box (gotta admit it even keeps me a bit straight),

now, in the distant future.....

1/24 Airfix Griffon powered, counter rotating propped, boil off cooled, lean, mean, slick Spitfire WIF Air Racer,

1/24 Airfix P-51D "Bardhal Special" Air Racer, 1965

1/24 Airfix P-51 conversion to NA-73X

1/24 Airfix P-51D NMF with OD topsides (ala "SHOO SHOO BABY" or similar)

1/24 Airfix Spitfire Eagle Squadron

1/24 Airfix Hurrican Eagle Squadron

....and thats just my 1/24 stash....of course subject to change :innocent:

So one can relatively safely assume you have a fondness for the Mustang, then :hmmm: :) ?

Hubert.