A Very Sad Day - Passing of Dr. Charles Metz

I was saddened to hear the news of Dr. Metz' passing. He always had a kind word for me and he will be missed. Making it especially painful was hearing the cause. Several months ago, my wife Susanna, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. We have been through a very difficult time so far and can certainly empathize with the Metz family.

Pancreatic cancer gets virtually no government research money yet is one of the leading cancer killers. My wife is in an experimental program as well and I hope that someday we have some answers.

Rest in peace Charles

Matt, hang in there, the both of you.......

Edited by Jack

Like everyone else I was saddened and shocked to hear about Charles. I cannot count the times that he has helped me with info, as well as web sites for further information on projects that I was working on.

I willl also miss his sense of humor, he had a grand way of making you laugh at yourself when you had said somthing stupid on the forums.

My prayers and hopes go out to Charles's familly members and loved ones. My father passed away not to long ago from prostate cancer, and it is a extreamly hard thing for the person suffering with cancer to deal with as well as their famillies. Im sure that Charles faced up to everything like he allways did, with dignity. God Speed Charles you will be missed........Neal

Sad, sad news.

I didn't know Dr Metz but his presence on this forum was, it seemed to me, akin to an esteemed elder statesman; one simply doesn't earn that aura without merit.

My condolences go out to his family and his close friends.

Grant.

Edited by Obant

Just received the following information from Steven Eisenman:

For those in the Chicago area, there will be a memorial service for Charlie on August 27 at noon (If I heard correctly). It will be at the Rockefeller Chapel of the University of Chicago. Needless to say, it is the larger of the University's two chapels. Today, the University flew its flags at half-mast in honor of Charlie.

Charlie's collection of over 3,000 books and sundry model kits are being donated to the Pritzker Military Library in Chicago.

http://www.pritzkerm...me/default.aspx

Contributions can be made to the Library to help with the cost of cataloging Charlie's vast collection.

Everything is being done in accordance with Charlie's specific requests.

Kev

I knew Charlie was ill and that it was not good. Still, I am very sad to hear of his passing. He helped me many times over the years via the Internet dating back to rec.models.scale in the mid '90's.

Rest in Peace.

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently been contacted by Charles' daughter Becky, and with her permission, I'm posting that message here for all to read.

I am Charlie Metz's daughter. I was just reading the Large Scale Planes forum on my dad. Are one of you the Administrator?

Tears stream down my face as I read the wonderful and touching words about my dad of this community. I know how very much my father enjoyed being a part of it, building model airplanes and being your friends. I can not express how very much this means to MY SISTER AND ME.

Thank you also for the information you posted from Steven. I appreciate you sharing this information.

Yes, his service will be Monday, August 27 at 11:00 a.m. (different from the time posted) at Rockefeller Chapel at the University of Chicago. Everyone is welcome.

Yes, his collection of books and kits are being donated to the Pritzker Military Library. When I receive the information from the library about the how to make the donations, I will forward it to you for those who are interested. Thank you for sharing this information. As you can imagine with his vast and complete collection, transferring this gift is a big task. We are also making a monetary donation in his honor, but I know it will require many resources of the library to complete the cataloging and moving. Therefore, this would be a wonderful place for others to donate in his name.

Also, here is a link to an article on Dad in the Chicago Tribune. Dad was a wonderfully well-rounded and humble person. Many of this model friends (as even family members were not) may not be aware of the contributions he made to science.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-07-16/news/ct-met-metz-obit-20120716_1_medical-imaging-chest-x-rays-radiology

I am absolutely heartbroken in losing my dad and I miss him so. He was an amazing father -- and a best friend. I struggle to find how to move on in a life without him. The exp<b></b>ressions from others is comforting and appreciated. I hope he will live on in all those he touched.

Thank you!

Best, Becky

We will be officially dedicating the LSP Reference section to Charles' legacy once the work is further along.

Kev