A Very Sad Day - Passing of Dr. Charles Metz

While I did not know Charlie personally, he was a great help in some instances, and a powerful force for sanity, reasonableness and scholarship here on the forum. My prayers are with his family.

Like many others here I never knew him personally, though we did exchange e-mail a few times on model related subjects. I always read his comments, both here and on HS as the man was a fountain of wisdom and a voice of moderation, as well of encouragement. He will be missed very much but I know that he'd want us to carry on and build, research and further the hobby he loved so much. If nothing else, grab a 109 or 190 and add to the 'Fallen Comrades' GB in his memory.

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there

I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,

I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace

Where never lark, or even eagle flew -

And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod

The high untresspassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee

No 412 squadron, RCAF

Killed 11 December 1941

He will be missed very much but I know that he'd want us to carry on and build, research and further the hobby he loved so much. If nothing else, grab a 109 or 190 and add to the 'Fallen Comrades' GB in his memory.

This is precisely what I have in mind...

I have abandoned the Me 163A Komet until I can obtain more accurate data, and my Bf 109G-12 conversion is not really fitting for such a GB - however, I now have new purpose, so I have something more fitting in mind.

Excellent and fitting verse Vaughn.

D.

Edited by Derek B

Did he actually build any kits, would be nice to show them, though i can't remember seeing any in the past.

I asked him about this once and he supplied a couple of photos of his office with several built kits on the shelves.

As it happens Charlie was admitted to a program designed to test the effectiveness of an experimental new drug, but found out too late that he had been placed in the control group, and had only been receiving the placebo.

Kev

Only just heard about this at our club meeting this evening.

Haven't read anything above, but for me it feels like the of the 'old guard' and elder statesman of the hobby has passed. Never knew him personally, but no-one could be anything but impressed with his passion for helping other's with their research and the deep well of knowledge from which he drew.

He was also always so gentlemanly and utterly reasonable in his dealings with everyone else, always an example of the highest calibre to the rest of us. Feels like the end of an era in some ways, I suspect he will be remembered for a very long time in the fora that were his stomping ground...

Here's to you Charles...

Matt

Though it doesn't ease the pain of his passing much at all Charlie did manage to dodge a bullet only a year or so ago. We were lucky not to lose him then and I for one never forgot how lucky we were to still have him, even more so helping us on staff. I suspect even though some of us knew he had a nasty form of the Big 'C' his character was such that one could almost begin to hope beyond reason.

One thing is for sure though. Charles certainly did understand just how much he meant to a lot of us.

Matty

I am really getting to hate cancer. As I get older I find it is taking so many of my friends.

Good bye Charles, I hope you have a great library on the other side for your pleasure.

Stephen

If I ever agreed with you, Steve, then this is it.

Well, if the heaven is close to what we loved here he surely is sitting at the bench looking through some heavenly books or magazines.

May he rest in peace.Not knowing him in person but selfish as I am I will surely miss him on this site, my life became smaller again.

Jozef

I will miss Charles! I first exchanged correspondence with him in 1996 when I made his acquaintance on alt.rec.models.scale. He was a very erudite man and a true font of knowledge.

Radu

I was saddened to hear the news of Dr. Metz' passing. He always had a kind word for me and he will be missed. Making it especially painful was hearing the cause. Several months ago, my wife Susanna, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. We have been through a very difficult time so far and can certainly empathize with the Metz family.

Pancreatic cancer gets virtually no government research money yet is one of the leading cancer killers. My wife is in an experimental program as well and I hope that someday we have some answers.

Rest in peace Charles