Hobbycraft Sea Fury Hawker Company demonstrator G-AKRY

airscale

Oh Yeah Peter!!!! The engine a prop look the dogs :goodjob:

Yeah the dreaded canopy (Or general clear blob of plastic as I call it) I have a plan but any ideas on how you cut it with out snapping it – any help or pointer welcome!!!!!

Back to yours can't wait to see tis painted up :popcorn:

Happy Days - Taff :D

That looks superb Peter, great stuff. Like Taff, I can't wait to see it painted. Cracking work Sir. :thumbsup:

I have a plan but any ideas on how you cut it with out snapping it – any help or pointer welcome!!!!!

Hi Taff, have you considered using one of Radu's razor saws? http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77_112&products_id=312 The finest blade gives a superbly crisp cut.

HTH

Gents, thanks for dropping in and your kind words - really enjoying my first online build and reading your feedback. So much so I seem to be here daily - sorry about that :whistle:

Wolf, if I can get to 1% of your abilities I will leave this earth a happy man - thanks for the encouragement

Anyways the posts about a lick of paint set me thinking why not give it a blast - I did, and IT LOOKS LIKE AN ENGINE!! yippee - for so long it has been just a collection of moulds, casts, bits & bobs and a lot of repetative stuff, so thanks for liberating me..

A blast of primer mixed with gunmetal...

WIP81.jpg

Bit of a worry actually as I have very little airbrush experience and I can see the propensity to balls it all up is pretty high. Will have a look for one of Kev's tutorials as I am sure the things I noticed are common problems - I have a great airbrush so it must be me..

Next I made up the fittings on top of each cylinder head with brass - again a bit repetative, and mocked up a few plug wires after drilling holes in the heads (now they are going to be really repetative- yawn...)

Also added the pipes coming out of each cylinder from some weird rubber sheathing I found in the spares box - already black and perfect for the job, in fact it even has a tiny scale seam moulded in it - don't know where I got it, but a lucky find...

WIP82.jpg

Finally, made sure it all fitted back in the cowling and at last I can see a Centaurus :yahoo:

WIP83.jpg

WIP84.jpg

until next time (..tomorrow probably knowing me...)

Peter

And if that is still too rough, use a sewing thread (no joke, they really make a nice, clean and cheap saw for plastic!)

Hi Thanks Geedubelyer I’ve seen these in many pictures and wondered what they where!

Kotr thanks for the tip – would this be normal thread or a nylon one – I might give this a try. Sounds like a fine version of a tile saw

Okay Back to Peter sorry didn’t mean to steel you thread (No pun intended)

I'm with Grant - That looks amazing and your worried about your airbrush skills – looks pretty darn good to me.

:popcorn: Looking forward the the next daily update

Kotr thanks for the tip – would this be normal thread or a nylon one – I might give this a try. Sounds like a fine version of a tile saw

I'm using normal universal sewing thread, suited for both sewing machines and hand stitching.

Best method to cut out square panels: drill two small holes in the corners, thread through them, a few minutes of work and voila: a straight cut with which just needs a little clean up. Also my prefered methode for removing delicate parts from the sprue. Who hasn't broken of one of those small, fragile parts, which are smaller than their gate, while trying to remove it with a clipper, scalpell or razor saw? ;)

hello folks

little update now the engine is nearing completion. i had to make some tiny box sections that the plug leads from the front cylinders feed into - puzzled for ages and then realised I could score brass and it practically folded itself. Impossible to see now but hey thats part of the illness :doh:

Also made what felt like a billion plug leads - I need better eyesight as once they were painted black it was hard to see the detail on them for painting.

As G-AKRY was a working aircraft I went for the knackered look, I almost wish it had a restored engine as they are much more colourful with chrome and heatproof paint etc

Bit of a wash & drybrush and hopefully I can move onto something else (like finishing the cockpit...)

WIP85.jpg

WIP86.jpg

until next time..

Peter

Peter,

This is a joy to watch, thanks for sharing your obvious expertise.

Seeing that beautiful engine in situ begs the question...why don't you cast it and offer it for sale?

Would n't there be a market for a resin engine plug like this? Surely other Sea Fury builders would jump at the chance to have something so glorious grace their models?

Anyhoo, your engine looks the bees knees and even better now undr a coat of paint.

Great stuff.

Cheers.