Hobbycraft Sea Fury Hawker Company demonstrator G-AKRY

airscale

Kev, Wolf, Matt,

Thanks for your comments - really appreciate them

Happy to share how I work with brass shim - it's a very effective complement for plastic card and in many ways does things plastic can't and is in scale terms better for detailing. rather than write it out I thought I would put together a little tutorial...

Think I have figured the macro setting on my cheapie camera now so hopefully will be able to post better pics from now on

Doubtless will be back later with a bit more progress...

cheers all

Peter

WIP7.jpg

WIP8.jpg

WIP9.jpg

evening all

had a bit of time today so got back to the Fury...

Reference pics are proving hard to find for parts of the cockpit and I can find no Aero Detail or uber reference book for things like the crash pylon, instrument coaming, tailwheel etc - will keep looking..

The cockpit is starting to take shape but thinking ahead I want to get ready for the engine and might try something new. Basically the kit has a flat ring with nine half donuts in stacks representing cylinders, it's laughable really. I was thinking I might try making a master of one cylinder & head and casting them in resin - has anyone tried it & got any advice?

anyways on to todays activity...

WIP10.jpg

WIP11.jpg

WIP12.jpg

TTFN

Peter

Are you sure that creating that much work on the engine front is going to be worth the trouble Peter? Realistically there won't be much of the engine visible once the big prop and spinner are set in front of it. I'd probably put the effort in to the prop blades and spinner itself rather than the engine face. Even the Fisher Sea Fury has a very rudimentary engine face. The cylinder heads and exhaust are very well represented if you choose to have the cowl panels open but the front is just plain hard to see.

Here's a pic I took of the 1:1 Centaurus engine from the side.

BristolCentaurus2.jpg

Cheers,

Wolf

I really love what you've done so far! Your cockpit is going to look fantastic.

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Hey Wolf, thanks for dropping in

that's a great shot of the engine (right click, save!) and just the parts I was hoping to try casting. It's less the front of the engine I am bothered about as as you say very little can be seen through the cowl. However, as I will be cutting the panels away, making the four or five cylinder heads in the photo individually would be a tad trying so was looking for an easier way to do it

I thought about breaking up a Hercules engine from a Revell 1/32 Beaufighter that I never finished, but can't bring myself to do it...

WIP13.jpg

In fact looking at it again I ought to get on and finish it (it had a fatal fall off the workbench years ago...) - maybe if there is a 'Finish what you started GB :hmmm:

Peter

folks

got a little done this weekend on the side consoles after I found a nice period photo in the Pilots notes that someone had kindly scanned & uploaded on a literature site

getting there slowly but surely :piliot:

WIP15.jpg

WIP14.jpg

some great builds in this GB - really looking forward to seeing the other Furies come together too

TTFN

Peter

Yet more fantastic work Peter. Here I am detailing the wheel wells on my Matchbox Spitfire, thinking I'm doing OK, and then you come along with this stuff!

By the way, I had a look at my stash of brass materials (ahem), and it turns out I only have a sheet of .005 brass stock, and it's really too thick to try your techniques on. I'll have to lay my hands on some of the thinner stuff.

Kev

For smaller bits, you might try the aluminium pots from tea candles.

Yet more fantastic work Peter. Here I am detailing the wheel wells on my Matchbox Spitfire, thinking I'm doing OK, and then you come along with this stuff!

By the way, I had a look at my stash of brass materials (ahem), and it turns out I only have a sheet of .005 brass stock, and it's really too thick to try your techniques on. I'll have to lay my hands on some of the thinner stuff.

Kev

You might try the aluminium pots from tea candles, which is my favourite stuff. But then, I burn down a lot of these babies during the cold season ;)

Outstanding bit of work here! :)