Hobbycraft Sea Fury Hawker Company demonstrator G-AKRY

airscale

hey guys thanks for such kind comments :)

been away on business a bit, distracted a lot, and modelling a little - got to sort that out as it's the wrong way around....

getting ready for Telford too so as a first time with my own stand (I was on Ray's Fantasy Prinshop stand last year) I have to actually make one. It's finished now and is like a large real instrument panel with all the products hanging on it - looks better than it sounds! ....also have a real Gloster Meteor panel to stop the crowds :evil_laugh:

look forward to seeing everyone there...

anyways, on to what I have managed to get done...

I was working on the firewall which meant getting bits of plastic and wire and taking away all the bits that didn't look like an engine...

This is some kind of pump unit - unions made by putting thin metal tube inside thin plastic tube and rolling a blade over it to seperate into tiny sections - spaced and cyano'ed... a bit of fuse wire ( a lot actually, seem to have used all mine up), and some holes drilled to accept them and you have a little robot spider...

WIP220.jpg

painted & weathered in a hard working aircraft style....

WIP221.jpg

..this was the last component and the area is pretty much complete apart from I need to trim away the waste card edges I use as handles...

WIP222.jpg

..and lastly a dry fit in the fuselage...

WIP224.jpg

WIP223.jpg

with all the sliding panels and exhaust baffles in this area I think I will be here for some time yet so hope it doesn't get too boring for everyone...

TTFN

Peter

evening my friends,

Been fiddling about so thought I would put some pics up..

first up sorting the exhaust pipes - I had done the other side but was never happy with them as the bore was too big so on this side I tried another diameter. Used green stuff to set them in place so I could move and space them then a quick bath in CA. If they look uneven, it is because they are - it's a happy accident the real ones are too :coolio: ...

WIP225.jpg

with a foil temporary panel to see how they look...

WIP226.jpg

next up some panels and the sliding exhaust vent tracks. I tried a few times in brass - one is too thin but took rivetting well, the other is thicker and was harder to get a surface finish on. I tried a practice part with primer and the rivetting looked ok so went for it with the thicker stuff...

WIP227.jpg

I fitted the slots the sliding panel runs in top and bottom from tiny 'U' shaped brass and a card backing plate to support the panel...

WIP228.jpg

the panel and part of the sliding door fitted - the panel needs clasps etc fitted later on (much later on, after riveting the airframe)...

WIP229.jpg

made up a template for the heatshield from wine foil - nice to work with but fragile...

WIP230.jpg

..a blast of mr surfacer and a dry fit, and yep most of the rivets on the panel dissappeared...

WIP231.jpg

I like the wine foil heatshield and may make another one to drop in right at the end of the build so it doesn't get damaged...

...just got to do it all again for the other side (and hack out the old exhaust pipes, sigh)...

WIP233.jpg

WIP232.jpg

away to Rome for the weekend so until next time folks

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Peter

The Sea Fury just keep getting better and better. I am just amazed at your ingenuity in solving problems.

Keep 'em coming

Peter :popcorn: :popcorn:

thanks Peter :)

bit more progress today...

had to get rid of the old exhaust pipes and repeat the brasswork on the other fuselage half, much easier & quicker now I knew what to do...

same process with green stuff used to position the pipes and then a CA bath - had to be careful actually as last time I did this the capilliary action sucked the glue into all the pipes :BANGHEAD2:

WIP234.jpg

another dry fit to make sure it looked right...

WIP235.jpg

next up I have started to get the fuselage halves ready for scribing & riveting. I will do this everywhere that isn't near a joint line so it doesn't get destroyed later when cleaning them up (hopefully...)

The wing fillets are raised panels so I masked it up with insulating tape (takes the curves) and used mr surfacer to define the change in profile...

WIP236.jpg

you might just be able to see it here - I just hope it takes careful riveting without flaking apart. Also cut out the hand grip and step cutouts on the fuselage side...

WIP237.jpg

an overall coat of primer and the day is coming when I can close the fuselage...

WIP238.jpg

WIP239.jpg

WIP241.jpg

still have to sort the tail out which is a bit of a worry - anyone got an old fuselage (kit or built) they want to trade for some airscale decals & PE so I can do some grafting?

TTFN

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Peter

The left side exhaust pipes look right on the money and mirror the right hand set. Nice going. Take lots of photos of the re-scribing and riveting process .. sure will be great to watch it being done.

Keep 'em coming.

Peter :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hey thanks all, very motivating to see what you think of my humble efforts :)

Interesting one this...

Very nice work. Just before you go much further though, the top fuselage line changes to being parallel with the datum line, just in front of the windscreen.

..I have been round my references and can't seem to find it - the best pic I could find to post seems to show the fuselage in front of the canopy at a slope as compared to the cockpit sides which are level with the datum? grateful for any more help here...

WIP250.jpg

haven't had much time for the Fury as getting ready for Telford, but decided to get on with something I have been putting off for ages (don't really know why) - the rudder bar & pedals... don't have too many refs but this is a good shot from a stripped down FB11..

WIP251.jpg

..first up shaping the casing it all sits on from square plastic stock - I find it easier to work things by mounting on a scrap handle...

WIP242.jpg

..then scalloping the edges for the recesses where the mounting bolts go with a file and sandpaper...

WIP243.jpg

...on to the baseplate with the bolts - roughed out the shape, marked where the scallops were, drilled and put lengths of sprue through the holes. A little tip is to put a spacer so I could make all the bolts stand proud on the face side all to the same height...

WIP244.jpg

WIP245.jpg

..stuck the parts together and sanded the base to it's final shape...

WIP246.jpg

..I made the rudder bars from lengths of rod, tube and some PE bits from our cockpit details set (finding them really useful actually :coolio: ) - the star shaped adjuster was a punched disc marked with divisions and drilled / sanded... very fiddly...

WIP247.jpg

..and the finished rudder bars in place - shame the pedals will hide most of the detail and they will be buried where no-one can see them, but I simply don't care as I know they are there... :wicked:

WIP248.jpg

WIP249.jpg

..got to get all these little jobs done before I can close the fuselage - the small matter of the world's best model show is likely to get in the way a little though!

TTFN

Peter