Hobbycraft Sea Fury Hawker Company demonstrator G-AKRY

airscale

Hey Taff - kind words indeed many thanks

I have had a quick look at the canopy and yup, its a dog..

Will probably fill it with putty/resin, modify it and put it on a stick to use it as a master to plunge mould a new one. Funnily enough my eldest daughter got some thingummy for doing her nails today and the packaging is clear styrene/plastic whatever but is totally optically clear so have nicked it for the stash - thats what I love about scratching, solutions come from the most unlikely places.. I prefer to mould canopies smooth and add the framing from strips of riveted brass sheet - so we will see how it goes

My biggest problem is that I am a couple of thousand miles from the kit on vacation in the sun with the airscale family so it will be another week before I can get my hands dirty again (still it gives more time for the moulds I left to cool off :whistle: ...)

Thanks for dropping in

Peter

try finding a Typhoon/Tempest vac canopy as I think it the same one on the Sea Fury

Thanks for the tip, but as it's an OOB build I am pretty sure getting an AM one would get me grounded :doh:

will have a go at moulding it, this is G-AKRY after being repainted by the EAF so have a reasonable idea what the end result neeeds to look like

Hawker-Fury-1950-2.jpg

"we are not retreating, we are just fighting in a different direction..."

;) Peter

evening all

Back from vacation so managed to get a little done in the last couple of days. Still messing around trying to cast parts from resin and learning new things all the time (time being the operative word - it's a sloooow process)

Hope to get the engine finished in the next few days...

Comments, critique and help always welcome

WIP65.jpg

WIP70.jpg

WIP66.jpg

WIP69.jpg

WIP68.jpg

TTFN

Peter

Hi Peter – Hope the holls where nice and hot!!! Love those cylinders they are looking cool. :clap2:

That canopy! Yep keep looking at mine and thinking……. :hmmm: Uhm move on, I’ll get back to it later! I do like the idea of using metal! Might root out some more tin foil, more manageable than plastic,

Oh and by the way the prop looks stunning and masterful!

Some more popcorn needed!!!! :popcorn:

Happy Days - Taff :D

Thanks guys, appreciated - spurs me on to do more :)

Mark - your 109 sets the bar so thanks for dropping in

Just a quick one today as I only managed a short burst where I sorted the prop blades - a few pinholes and the lug & flash from the cast treated to some Mr Surfacer and they came out fine

Also scribed & detailed the Spinner, not 100% happy with the scribing actually - I seem to be ploughing ridges, taking them down with liquid poly, sanding a bit, working the line through with a cocktail stick and generally getting into a lot of faff & hassle - doesn't bode well for a full kit rescribe - there must be an easier way? (I don't remember it being this hard..)

anyways, I have ordered a scriber from Radu so will try that and hope it changes my life

a couple of gratuitous pics as seeing it look like an aeroplane and not just bits and bobs makes me move on...

WIP73.jpg

WIP72.jpg

By the way Taff - if I knew how to cast you a copy I would!

TTFN

Peter

Also scribed & detailed the Spinner, not 100% happy with the scribing actually - I seem to be ploughing ridges, taking them down with liquid poly, sanding a bit, working the line through with a cocktail stick and generally getting into a lot of faff & hassle - doesn't bode well for a full kit rescribe - there must be an easier way? (I don't remember it being this hard..)

Your scribing looks good to me Peter, but in case it helps at all, I did a tutorial on rescribing last year in the Tips and Techniques forum, and it's accompanied by a handy discussion.

Kev

Thanks chaps

Kev, that scribing article is really useful thanks for doing it and pointing it my way :thumbsup: will start putting into practice

In between a pub lunch and enjoying the all too rare sun today I got the rest of the Centaurus exhaust pipes cast and cleaned up

WIP74.jpg

I joined them together and added a strengthening plate underneath each pair...

WIP75.jpg

Soon I had the pairs made up...

WIP76.jpg

Each pair needed the plate sanding to an angle to fit between the cylinder heads...

WIP77.jpg

Soon with a bit of fettling all the pairs were fitted...

WIP78.jpg

The critical point was seeing if it all fitted in the cowling...

WIP79.jpg

WIP80.jpg

I am quite pleased with how it's turned out - still more detailing to do but as a basis and first real go at casting I think it's ok

Quite glad all those pipes are cast and out of the way, it seems the last few days it's all I have been doing...

until next time

Peter