Hobbycraft Sea Fury Hawker Company demonstrator G-AKRY

airscale

evening ladies...

thanks for saying such nice things - always inspirational :)

..tonight a bit more Fury madness and some wing work..

first up I had to fill the gun ports and the landing light as the aircraft G-AKRY I am doing doesn't have either... I think the gun ports were just patched in real life as the real one was armed and shot down a Norseman a few weeks after being purloined by the Egyptians on a demo tour...

WIP648_zps2c277e44.jpg

..I also made up the roof of the radiator fairing from card and rod...

WIP649_zpsece13311.jpg

..next up the radiator...

WIP656_zpsf5dbf8e0.jpg

..I used some of Radu's PE honeycomb and made a thick card template that was a tight fit...

WIP650_zpsd6d23cbc.jpg

...I printed a shape on the computer that had the same number of divisions to use as reference for spacing and keeping any detail straight. Made up a thin spacer frame to set the honeycomb off the base as I am a bit worried I will clog it with paint - gave the background a bit of dark colour and stuck the honeycomb carefully around the edges...

WIP651_zpse9ec2037.jpg

...then built up the detail in brass shim...

WIP652_zps26a9253b.jpg

...and a dry fit to see how it looks...

WIP653_zpsc961c6e2.jpg

WIP654_zpse4ef6774.jpg

WIP655_zps51e6fb3b.jpg

..still lots more fun to be had building up a bit more before joining the wings to the fuselage... (eeek)

...thanks for stopping by...

TTFN

Peter

thanks for dropping in guys and for your kind words :)

tonight's little postette is all about navigation lights..

..I had tried using clear material from old coloured toothbrushes in the past, but on the Fury the lenses are clear with a coloured bulb so a new plan was needed..

..I had seen this done before, so found some old perspex (acrylic sheet) and tried drilling a hole in it to see if painting the hole could look like a bulb...

WIP657_zps428a91ce.jpg

WIP658_zpsd6f0dfc8.jpg

..seemed to work, but I needed the 'bulb' to be more than a red pole (and there is no way to just get the paint into just the very end) so I drilled a slightly bigger hole which reamed out the red paint down to where the bulb would be. Then painted that interior green, reamed a ring where I drilled the hole and painted that silver to represent the bulb holder fitting...

..also left the mating edges rough so I could tint them with interior green paint - I was a bit worried it would weaken the CA joint as there was much sanding & polishing to come, but it turned out ok in the end...

WIP659_zps662ea3f0.jpg

..CA'd the oversize acrylic blocks into the wing recess and I had a pretty funny looking aeroplane..

WIP660_zps364f0279.jpg

...made a template to get the shaping right...

WIP661_zps26e888bc.jpg

..used a micro circular saw in a Dremel to get a rough shape, the lenses are bigger all round than the real lights as the real aircraft has skin fairings that leave the final shape - I also wanted to see the joint lines were sorted...

WIP662_zpsdb466cb3.jpg

...a lot of sanding later it matches the template...

WIP663_zpsad557e48.jpg

..used all grades of micromesh to polish the shape..

WIP664_zpsa325d8b5.jpg

...after all the work on the wing, I kinda wished I didn't have to be so careful with all the scribed & riveted detail I had spent so long doing and had done it after all the surgery on the radiator, gun ports and these nav lights...

..masked as best I could to the nearest panel line, just covering the scribed detail - also masked the light lenses..

WIP666_zps36135880.jpg

...and fresh out of masking - these will polish up ok and the final colour coat will define the shape..

WIP667_zps0cfc5074.jpg

..a fair bit of work, but I am happy with how they turned out..

..thats it for now

TTFN
Peter

Very neat work Peter.

I first saw this technique used by Pete Fleischmann on one of hos F-16 builds and copied it immeadiately. It does take abit of work but the end result speaks for itself, well done.

Question: Did you use red and green clear paint? The "bulbs" look quite opaque in your images.

Cheers.

Hi chaps..

thanks again for dropping in..

Question: Did you use red and green clear paint? The "bulbs" look quite opaque in your images.

Cheers.

Hey Gman - no I didn't as I didn't think of that! great suggestion, I will have to get some for next time..

Very nice work Peter! The clear acrylic certainly polishes up much better than old toothbrush handles. Where did you get it?

Kev

Hi Kev - I don't know where I got it, it was just in my stock of bits and bobs - it's the same stuff as those brochure holders you see on hotel counters etc so should be readily available - I have a shop around the corner that made up some A4 ones for our trade stand and they were only £3 for enough perspex for about 8 million landing lights :coolio:

..got a little done so might as well share it (any excuse...)

..unmasked where I had primed the leading edges and set down some scribing and rivet detail - bit of a nightmare trying to match up to the rivets I had already done..

..can also see the nav lights, though they are not finished and won't be until the final paint finish (in about 2018)...

WIP668_zps8c1d5e5d.jpg

WIP670_zps7b51e40f.jpg

and the other side..

WIP669_zps777c2f3a.jpg

WIP671_zpsdb0f935a.jpg

..also detailed around the radiator and leading edges..

WIP672_zps2b1b228c.jpg

..got the underside to do next, then I can't think why I can't join the wings to the fuselage and all the fun & games that will bring :punk:

TTFN

Peter