Hobbycraft Sea Fury Hawker Company demonstrator G-AKRY

airscale

thanks chaps :)

stardate 07102013 and back again with a bit more Fury madness..

..having finally vac-formed a canopy I was happy with, I started to make up the framing and fittings from brass shim, also thinned some plastruct to start the internal framing...

assembly is very nerve wracking as using ultra-thin CA on a pin to bond the parts means being very careful to avoid the canopy surface... I also spent all day it seems blowing on it, as otherwise the CA vapours will make any oily fingerprints permanent (this is how Police fingerprint a crime scene now I think...)...

WIP894_zps6f99682a.jpg

..this is what I mean - I use clamp tweezers to hold the parts and get a tiny blob of CA on a pin to touch the bottom joint and bond it. Once the part is tacked it is slightly flooded with CA and the blowing (away from the surface) begins...

WIP895_zps2cee13a8.jpg

..also made up the internal fairing at the rear - have since cut a slot in it for the rail the canopy slides on...

WIP896_zps537c5cbb.jpg

..used more of our airscale PE detail parts to add runners & fittings and it was dipped in future again and done...

WIP897_zpsd00eaef6.jpg

WIP898_zps96c35ab8.jpg

..thats it for today..

TTFN
Peter

thanks fellas :)

..still doing bits and bobs to get all the parts ready for paint...

..this time it's the rollover pylon - this is a good reference shot (though there is no headrest fitted) and there are multiple variants - G-AKRY has this one but with an additional lightening hole.. I didn't realise they were wood at the top until I found this...

WIP901_zps1a592431.jpg

...first set out the headrest and front of the pylon structure..

WIP899_zps961233cf.jpg

..made up the central parts by punching out the holes and a bit of drilling & bending...

WIP900_zpsb65c7c00.jpg

..fixed them together with tiny fake bolts - that was a mission I can tell you...

..also to make the rear part fit and be able to be 'bolted' to the rest of it, I took a tape 'rubbing' of the holes I needed to match up to on the central structure - put this rubbing on a bit of brass and drilled where the marks were left on the tape - it ended up being a perfect match..

WIP902_zps98c0aa8d.jpg

..made up the wood part from one of those coffee stirrer sticks, the mounting flange and had it pretty much finished after a few hours..

WIP903_zps3310f1ef.jpg

WIP907_zpsfb3b6055.jpg

WIP904_zpsaa4d2cdf.jpg

..while making it I dry fitted it to make sure it fitted under the canopy...

WIP906_zpsfce720d2.jpg

WIP905_zps0e265410.jpg

..thats it for today my friends..

TTFN
Peter

thank you all - it's so nice to hear you like what I do :)

I've observed this thread for a long time and I have to say this is one of my favourite. Very good work with fabulous attention for details. I like this kind of modell building very much.

Regards, Tomasz.

Tomasz - thanks for dropping in, I am also following your Boeing F4b4 as what you are doing with it is jaw dropping :thumbsup:

..so to todays blog...

..a few days ago I made a mould to take a copy of the wing tank pylon master I made - it's two part and I didn't relly expect how I had laid it out to work as all four surfaces could do without a seam or moulding plug..

WIP911_zpse668395d.jpg

..as it turned out the sharp edges took and there were very light seams so it's a keeper...

WIP917_zpsa53dca33.jpg

..next up I wanted to get the exhaust heatshield done so I can start attaching all the sub-assemblies to the airframe - the Fury is ideal for wine foil as the shape is one-piece and I thought I could burnish it into the right contours...

..the only tool needed to shape it is a cocktail stick with the end rounded and the grain sanded out...

WIP908_zps97bde085.jpg

...gently working the shape needed...

WIP909_zpsb4e62fde.jpg

WIP910_zpsd74a3d52.jpg

..ended up with the right shape, so added fasteners...

WIP912_zps137f9ed7.jpg

..I started experimenting to see what a flame would do to discolour it and liked the effect..

WIP913_zps86fe35c5.jpg

..I had a go at the part I made and totally destroyed it....

..it seems there is a layer of glue or plastic between what are like two sheets of bare metal foil and this caught fire and I ended up with two cremated bits of foil..

WIP914_zpsf1f6adc8.jpg

..I made another and was more careful this time and it worked - I took pics in different light to try and show what it looks like...

WIP915_zps1352319a.jpg

WIP918_zpsc0d516e2.jpg

..I like the effect and it will serve as a good base for exhaust staining later on...

TTFN
Peter

What Peter isn't saying is that he's keeping up with the sheer visual orgy of this build like a boss...all the while dishing out insane customer service to schmucks like me half way around the globe who need new instrument decals at a moment's notice!  Thanks for the crazy FAST order taking/shipping Peter!!

Oh yeah, and your wingy thingy there looks rather smart too!  ;)

Brian~