Hobbycraft Sea Fury Hawker Company demonstrator G-AKRY

airscale

...day 413...

murmurings were reported on the workbench....

..it seems Hobbycraft decided wing leading edges have square blunt edges so a filler part in card was needed to get a round nosed normal aerofoil profile - seems a shame to add more work, but so be it..

WIP702_zps224aacef.jpg

..had to wall in the sides of the intakes with card to be able to create the intake openings at the wing root..

WIP704_zpsac76ba17.jpg

..rough opening added and CA'd all over - can sand this to fair it in..

WIP705_zps093fa35f.jpg

..also realised that the wing tanks in the kit are 45 gal ones - this is bad as G-AKRY wore 90 gals which are much bigger..

WIP710_zps5a3ea8e1.jpg

WIP706_zpse74625d8.jpg

..I will need to make a master and cast these in resin - I figure two halves with a brass shim inbetween to give the horizontal seam.... soon had cut out two templates...

WIP707_zpse8a000dd.jpg

...slotted them so I could slip one onto another and added card fairings - not accurate but just to give some body...

WIP708_zpsd0183717.jpg

..mushed in some old and tired milliput - hope it works out.

WIP709_zps2a143235.jpg

..I will leave the wing tank a few days to go off and see what sort of a master I can make from it..

TTFN

Peter

thank you chaps :)

here we go again... a bit more done...

..last time I had made a master for the 90Gal drop tank, now it had gone off it was time to start working it.. used a household sander to take all the bits that didn't look like a drop tank & polished it up..

WIP711_zps47048348.jpg

..primed & ready to go..

WIP712_zps6057eee0.jpg

...added a couple of pegs to stand on and made a mould I could just pour the resin into to get a relatively flat face on the half tank....

WIP713_zps4c6d7225.jpg

...EPIC FAIL.... the mould was full of bubbles so the surface is pants - I did try spraying it and rubbing it back, but it was too far gone...

looking back, I should have mounted the flat face of the master facing down, that way I think the bubbles would have risen to the top - as it was maybe they were stuck under the tank.. back to the drawing board on this one so I need to make another mould..

WIP714_zps648447e4.jpg

..after all that I moved onto finishing scratchbuilding the wing intakes and sorting all the wing joints out... trust me this was a LOT of work...

WIP715_zpsa1712db8.jpg

...started scribing - this was really tough as there are compound curves, tight corners and no room to pull the scriber and keep it perpendicular to the surface..

WIP716_zpsdccdf451.jpg

...same deal with the rivet wheel, so used a pin in places to get in all the corners...

WIP717_zps19b0d373.jpg

...one side is nearly done - also had to go over a lot of detail on the wings as all the sanding & polishing took it's toll.. getting there though :punk:

WIP718_zps1a39dca7.jpg

WIP719_zps3d3940fc.jpg

...until next time my friends

TTFN

Peter

man you guys say some nice things :) - really helps motivate me to do better and make each post better than the last...

..speaking of which, last time around I had just ballsed up casting the drop tanks - lots of bubbles in the mould so a terrible, pitted surface..

I set the master in a new mould, flat side down this time so all the bubbles could reach for the sky...

WIP720_zps7e2c6080.jpg

...sanded off the bottom face on a board and got four matching parts - the casting only takes 15-20 minutes, it's the mould that takes 24hrs to go off - I like it as anyone can do it - I just got a kit from Sylmasta and played around - the witchcraft is in the measuring, as long as the proportions are accurate it's simple..

WIP721_zpsb82e9b7e.jpg

...glued a half to some stiff brass sheet and shaped it to match the tank's profile..

WIP722_zps1b2c22b2.jpg

..soon had a set completed - I will use the old master to make another mould for the pylon at some point...

WIP723_zps494b044d.jpg

...also did a bit more surface detail - this is a little printout to mark the spacing for the rows of rivets on the fuselage underside - I just measure the rounded part by marking a bit of paper and make a shape in Powerpoint to the right length, with the right number of divisions..

WIP724_zps5db89935.jpg

...it all needs wetting down, but you get the idea...

WIP725_zps4c3260aa.jpg

...pretty much finished up the topsides - had a nightmare with a wing root when I pressed too hard on the rivet wheel and the joint gave way so had to repair and re-do it...

WIP730_zps7eee15b1.jpg

WIP726_zps6c7e0552.jpg

..and a few gratuitous shots of the new 90gal wing tanks in a little montage...

WIP729_zpsf17354c8.jpg

WIP728_zps4d74e75f.jpg

..Bank holiday weekend so hope to get a bit more done - I have been playing around using the same casting technique to make a master for the cockpit canopy...

thats it for today folks..

TTFN

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Geeeeeeeeez ... just incredible. This has to be a book or at least an on line tutorial.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

evening all...

..this one made me smile

Peter, seriously, start talking to a publisher. There has to be a book to come out of this project!

Tim

..thank you Tim, but unlikely to be writing any books any time soon - would have no idea where to start and pretty sure there would be few takers.. :mental:

..this one cracked me up..

I'm starting to become convinced that you're actually Jesus. Your work is epic on a biblical scale.

- thanks poopstack, but no, I am not the Son of God - my mother is Danish...

...never thought I would write that sentence in my lifetime... :rofl:

..anyways - tonights installment...

..I started by adding a thin brass panel under the cowling - rivited it on a sheet of perspex and flattened them down from the other side so the mating surface was flat to get a good seamless join...

WIP737_zps2243fb42.jpg

...lots more to do around here on the intakes & under the cowling...

WIP738_zpsa06d98aa.jpg

..I also wanted to make a start on the canopy - I am going to try my luck at making one but it is a complex shape. This is actually G-AKRY after being repainted by the Egyptians showing it quite well - note the square edged windscreen frame that changes to a blown hood which is circular in cross-section within a few inches..

WIP739_zpsa06f0318.jpg

..started off measuring, drawing and tracing from the plans I have. I cut some of the sections to slot them together to make a former to vac form or plunge mould - the base is a laminate of three sheets of card, heated and bent above a gas ring...

WIP731_zps10f213c2.jpg

..started making the basic shape...

WIP733_zps3351b50b.jpg

WIP732_zps14cb7f72.jpg

..I ran a black sharpie around the shapes I wanted to sand to and sanded until I wore the line out - here just the tip remains to be done...

WIP734_zpse40a98a4.jpg

...taking shape... literally..

WIP735_zps43442fdf.jpg

..started to work out how the blown hood will be incorporated - for now I am thinking templates - compound curves in three dimensions is hard to get my head around...

WIP736_zpsbc639d6d.jpg

..will see how it goes - if it all goes wrong I will see if I can get a Fisher canopy, but for now I am determined to try it myself..

TTFN

Peter