Hobbycraft Sea Fury Hawker Company demonstrator G-AKRY

airscale

Guest Peterpools

With Peter's permission I ran these two images through photoshop, trying to lighten up the shadows for the details. The photos are JPEGS and there is a limited amount of details in the shadows to work with.

WIP444_zpse94eceec-2_zpsd67b4cc4.jpg

WIP448_zps43066a78-2_zpsbc17d41a.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

back again...

thanks Peter for trying to sort out my dodgy photography, at least now some of the weathering can be seen now :speak_cool:

so, on to tonights instalment...

..started working on the bottom wing to get ready for actually putting this kit together... needed to fill some nasty panel lines and fill the holes where the rockets would have been. just used a pin and thick CA on the panel lines and stuck stretched sprue ends into the holes - also drilled and cut out the square holes where the louvred vents are for the air intake...

WIP450_zpsbf6b18f6.jpg

..after a shot of mr surfacer it only needs minor work on the finish now so I can get on with cutting out flaps, ailerons, landing lights etc...

WIP451_zps3589953f.jpg

...next up was soring out the oil cooler radiator and the intakes on the wing leading edge. The kit is wrong here in a number of ways - there is no structure under the wing at all, it is too narrow in height and width and the top surface is strangely recessed. The circles on the pics below show the top surface flush until the very edge of the intake, the profile of the side walls of the intake area and the raised area with flap on the bottom of the wing...

WIP458_zpsfbd43595.jpg

WIP459_zps5dfe31e4.jpg

...first I widened the intake area and cut away the top skinning... I did the same on the bottom wing...

WIP452_zps96d7707b.jpg

..then made a card template to give the side wall shape that will both ensure there is no internal seam and give the right profile to work up the fairing shape with filler..

WIP453_zps5be0ca61.jpg

..transferred the shape to brass shim

WIP454_zpsba1b5a43.jpg

..the theory being when I sand the filler down I will hit this and maintain the right profile (assuming it is the right profile in the first place...)...

WIP455_zpsdf14bbea.jpg

..I soon worked out that it will actually be easier to work on this area and get the shapes right once the wings are together - as you can see here there is a lot going on at the wing root and I reckon it is going to be a frenzy of filler and shaping...

WIP456_zps8bc48257.jpg

WIP457_zps2c0975dd.jpg

...I get the plans back from being scaled up by the printer tomorrow having eventually found an October 1983 edition of 'Scale Models' which has reputedly the most accurate Sea Fury plans going, so will sort the flaps and ailerons next...

also having this naughty thought about getting some Fisher u/c legs as I can reckon on losing 1 of the 4 months left in the GB just on scratching them, but will leave it until the deadline looms in case I get myself banned from GB's for life :coolio:

onwards and upwards...

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Totally agree that gluing the wings together first, will make working on the intakes and the wind external details a lot easier. NIce idea about considering using Paul's gear to allow you some breathingroom with the time remaining

Looking good.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

morning all

got the plans from the printer and so on to marking out...

basic tools are a micrometer (or dividers), a steel rule, a pencil and a scribe...

WIP460_zpsda2f6f7b.jpg

...a little tip if you need to mark an angle or something you can't see is to put one rule on the plan following the line you want to mark and then another rule on top of the part so you can follow the one below...

WIP461_zps3752b49e.jpg

...soon had the flaps, ailerons and light positions marked out - run a scribe over them afterwards so they don't smudge or wipe off...

WIP462_zpsfc9cfe63.jpg

WIP463_zpse4a92f6c.jpg

...and the top wings done...

WIP464_zpsfdda678e.jpg

now that's out of the way I can spend the day on cutting out and building up the structures..

TTFN

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Nice progress on scribing the wings. Thanks for the tip, as I know it will come in handy

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

...back again...just can't help myself you know...

have been getting a little done today on the wings - needed to make the identification lights so I can join the upper & lower wings..

..this is one of those, there are red and green lights that don't really fit inside the oddly shaped apeture...

WIP473_zps082643e6.jpg

..to make the coloured lenses I use old smashed lighters - (I got a pack of 5 different colours once for a pound). I found a metal tube of the right diameter and heated it up before pushing it through the plastic to get little circular lumps...

WIP465_zps8d4527c2.jpg

...these are then sanded and polished...

WIP466_zps353e8b4f.jpg

...I plunge moulded three bowls for the backs of the lamps and used little diamond things as bulbs - these are cheap nail art stuff teenagers stick on their fingernails - teenage daughters are good for some things it seems :coolio:

The bezels are from one of our airscale sets - I later realised one of the lamps has only three lugs so changed it as we do thoses in the sets too...

WIP467_zpse0858268.jpg

...made up the mounting frames from brass and painted them...

WIP468_zps73128bf9.jpg

WIP469_zpsdd9b26d7.jpg

..and this is what they look like dry fitted...

WIP470_zps8f454052.jpg

WIP471_zps78ba5658.jpg

...lastly today I cut out the ailerons so this is tomorrow's job...

WIP472_zpsde3c8033.jpg

that's it for today...

Peter

...back again...just can't help myself you know...

have been getting a little done today on the wings - needed to make the identification lights so I can join the upper & lower wings..

..this is one of those, there are red and green lights that don't really fit inside the oddly shaped apeture...

WIP473_zps082643e6.jpg

..to make the coloured lenses I use old smashed lighters - (I got a pack of 5 different colours once for a pound). I found a metal tube of the right diameter and heated it up before pushing it through the plastic to get little circular lumps...

WIP465_zps8d4527c2.jpg

...these are then sanded and polished...

WIP466_zps353e8b4f.jpg

...I plunge moulded three bowls for the backs of the lamps and used little diamond things as bulbs - these are cheap nail art stuff teenagers stick on their fingernails - teenage daughters are good for some things it seems :coolio:

The bezels are from one of our airscale sets - I later realised one of the lamps has only three lugs so changed it as we do thoses in the sets too...

WIP467_zpse0858268.jpg

...made up the mounting frames from brass and painted them...

WIP468_zps73128bf9.jpg

WIP469_zpsdd9b26d7.jpg

..and this is what they look like dry fitted...

WIP470_zps8f454052.jpg

WIP471_zps78ba5658.jpg

...lastly today I cut out the ailerons so this is tomorrow's job...

WIP472_zpsde3c8033.jpg

that's it for today...

Peter

Fantastic work Peter, really first class indeed! :speak_cool: :clap2:

Derek

Magnificent stuff Peter.

That's a super tip about heating up the brass tube to cut out the discs, I'll be sure to remember that one. The lights look brilliant fitted in their openings. It's amazing what you can find to use the Airscale stuff for and your work goes to show that with a little imagination, anything is possible.

Keep at it, this is truly inspirational.

Cheers.

thank you gentlemen, always so kind about my efforts :)

tonight we start with a minor disaster. I had sanded the wing halves so thin to correct the really fat & blunt trailing edges that in places they were paper thin. As I was prepping the bottom wing ( a day of primer, sanding, shaping the aileron cut-outs etc) I decided to strengthen these areas with CA. I put a load on the inside face and stupidly hit the big blob with kicker and the whole area smoked, warped and melted...

WIP474_zpsfe89995a.jpg

...after some liberal coarse english language, I covered with green stuff...

WIP475_zpsaec53e16.jpg

...masked up to save damaging other surfaces and got sanding...

WIP476_zpse1e59a02.jpg

..after a bit of work I think it looks ok - just need to rescribe the flaps. I have decided to only scribe the flaps as they are always up on the ground and the whole area it a bit weak to take much chopping about...

WIP478_zpsad0ee2da.jpg

...after that I thought I might start scribing out the panel lines while I had the wings seperate. Geeez that is nerve wracking stuff and when I think about how much there is to do I can see my nerves getting shredded soon. I soon learnt a good layer of primer gives far better results that bare plastic so will bear that in mind...

WIP479_zpse1d934f3.jpg

...more (much more) to do, but it's a start..

WIP480_zpsd6438d6f.jpg

..after tiring of that, I needed to correct the underside of the wing, the kit is flat, but should have a bulge in it as below...

WIP482_zpsc476a4f5.jpg

...I taped some card to a cardboard former, held it over the gas stove and pressed a glass storage pot of the right diameter into it to plunge mould the rough shape...

WIP481_zps00e5473f.jpg

...glued, filled and starting to shape it...

WIP483_zps71f468a9.jpg

..and we have a good shape to work with - the incorrect kit straight part will be removed when I have finished refining it - also have to think about how to replace the vent grills that go on the surface...

WIP484_zps2d98dda9.jpg

...thats it for now - thanks for dropping by

Peter

evening...

back with my daily blog, can't keep me away...

Only had about an hour free today so got something small out of the way. i needed to make the louvred vents under the nose like these...

WIP485_zps0a24737a.jpg

..started by marking out on some 0.2 brass...

WIP486_zps0691a957.jpg

...then taped the brass down with two thicker brass shims to stop the blade...

WIP487_zpsdfadeb8f.jpg

...ran a scalpel with a new blade across each line and repeated for the second row of louvres...

WIP488_zpsf91d458a.jpg

...made a small tool from an offcut of thicker brass (scrap from our PE sets) and pushed it through each slot and bent it back flat to open them up...

WIP489_zpsf0fdb351.jpg

...quick shot of primer and a few fixing bolts - had to repeat it to make them both

WIP490_zpsa740b192.jpg

..away for a few days now so back soon

TTFN
Peter