Airfix 1/24 Mustang IV

xmh53wrench

So.....this kit is sitting on the shelf, just kinda minding its own business. Looks a bit on the sulky side, as it has to watch the Squadron putty dust fly, and the pile of scrap cardstock grow with the "Precious Metal" build going on. But that doesnt mean its being completely ignored. The dilema for a paint scheme continues.

In the 1/24 in-progress and plans for the stash pile are:

in-progress-

"Jan" NMF red nose of 334th FS

"Precious Metal" Racer, Polished NMF with yellow and black lettering

in-the-stash-

"Bardhal Special" Racer White with yellow and black lettering

and 2 more 1/24 Airfix Mustangs, (one possibly the daunting task of a "B" conversion, and the other possibly a Black Racer "Habu")

So what my "collection" is lacking is a right proper Mustang MkIV of the RAF. I have the kit decals for 442 Sq, Y2-T KH668, so that would make things easy.

But since when have I ever been proper or easy......(wait dont ask SWMBO that).....?

And then I found this....

9_46.jpg

web-find Wings Palette http://wp.scn.ru/

How sexy is that???? Although after some research its seems this is a "never was" paint scheme for the chaps across the pond.

What ya guys think....I know "its my model" yada yada yada, just curious if there is any of you folks out there that are as titilated by this scheme as I?

Near as I can tell I shouldnt have to change much of anything on this build to make this WHIF paint scheme work, short of repainting the spinner.

Thanks guys. :hmmm:

AWWW CRAP, it seems I always manage to start a new page and completely obscure an important post......DOH

And then I found this....

9_46.jpg

web-find Wings Palette http://wp.scn.ru/

How sexy is that???? Although after some research its seems this is a "never was" paint scheme for the chaps across the pond.

What ya guys think....I know "its my model" yada yada yada, just curious if there is any of you folks out there that are as titilated by this scheme as I?

Near as I can tell I shouldnt have to change much of anything on this build to make this WHIF paint scheme work, short of repainting the spinner.

Thanks guys. :hmmm:

Lou, the codes "GN" are for 249 Squadron RAF.

They operated Mustangs in the Balkans 1944-5.

Mainly "C's" but also a few "D's"

The overall OD scheme might be a bit wrong but in the book "249 at War" by Brian Cull there is a black and white pic of a D with what looks like the Meditteranean scheme of dark earth and middle stone which would have had a red spinner.

Personally I think you should do whatever scheme floats your boat but a red spinner would be correct for 249 on their D's.

Phil :thumbsup:

Well you guys have talked me into it. I am kinda leaning towards a personal hack kinda thing though, since this seems to be a ficticious scheme.

We will see, the GN-X does just look "good" though on there.

Was nose art frowned upon with the RAF fighter corps back then?

And I am torn between the dull red and sky spinner.

Currently working on finishing up the gun bays and wheel wells so I can button up the wings. They are pretty much filled and sanded, and will just have to take care of the leading edge seam. Of course all this in between bouts of cutting and fitting on my Precious Metal build.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, since my P-51D-5NA "Jan" has sort-of gone south for the moment, I thought I would blow the dust off this build.  Lets see how far I can get on it?

Wings glued up, H-stabs attached, and now doing some research on the WIF paint scheme and markings.  I am also contemplating adding some card to the engine cowling to see if I can do a bit of shape correcting, since this is going to be all painted anyway.   Here we go.....

CAM02239_zps8f56d6a9.jpg

Well a bunch done.

Seems the left side of the engine cowling support seems to have developed a bad warp, so I am trying to work that back out.  I also blocked off the carb intake scoop to remedy a see-thru, and in the process I may have made it fit a bit better once its faired in.  With some evergreen I have also reworked the flaps so they can be positioned down.  I dug out another HS prop and will paint it up and paint the spinner Sky type S.  Found all my decals and seems I should have  plenty to do up my WIF scheme, and did a cheesy rework of the profile using Photobucket's horrible editor.

CAM02240_zps5ebed80c.jpg

84168202-f9b9-4a21-a2a0-a71da5a57559_zps

So far seems colors will be: Top-side RAF Dark Green, Under-side RAF Medium Sea Grey (although I wish this color was a bit lighter), Spinner and tail band RAF Sky type S and my fictional squadron codes (still to be determined) White.  I also like the hard mask line between the upper and lower colors, so I think that will stay as depicted.   Pretty sure I will also paint the leading edges yellow as well.  Roundels, tail flash and stencils are all supplied with the kit from Airfix.  

Thanks for looking in..