Has anyone built the MDC Typhoon?

Daywalker

I am seriously considering buying one of the MDC Typhoon kits, or converting the Revell Mk.Ib kit using the MDC parts. Has anyone built the full resin kit, and if so- what were your thoughts? I have never built a full resin kit before, and the thought of doing so is a bit daunting. I would really love to have a 1/32 Typhoon in my collection. Has anyone used the MDC AM bits to update the Revell kit?

I would love to hear any opinions on these parts/kit. TIA!

Great question Daywalker. I was going to ask the same thing. The price for the full resin kit is close to the price of a revell kit + upgrades. I was given a revell kit and emailed MDC(over a month ago) about the compatability of their parts and what was available, but never got a reply. I am anxiously awaiting some replys to your question!

Guest Dekenba

I've got the MDC kit, with the rocket kit as well.

It's a brilliant kit, quite weighty but superbly detailed and relatively easy to build - the wings are moulded as two parts, for instance, so the number of parts is lower than a comparable injection moulded kit. No sprues, of course, which makes it nicer and that bit quicker, with the parts baged up in turn.

Instructions are brief but adequate, decals are brilliant, painting instructions very sound.

The only real downside is the canopy. It's OK but not quite good enough - when I build mine I'll be looking at an AM part to replace it.

Funnily enough, I am awaiting delivery of a Revell Typhoon in 1/32 that I swapped in the forums, so when that arrives I can do a comparison.

Ordering from MDC is no problem at all. The kit is great, as Dekenba mentioned as well as the decals, instructions and the way the kit comes packaged.

Its a well thought out, and very nice kit. As to the canopy, there are some things that can be done. I might humbly suggest, if your not satisfied with the canopy that comes with it, you might want to contact FM&P, as their clear resin sea fury canopy should work, as I believe they are the same from Fury to Tiffie.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Hi,

Sorry about the mail but we get the odd hicup, and we try to get all mails replied in a day or so, I will check tommorow but hopefully this should answer your questions.

Our Typhoon started out as a conversion for the Revell but got out of hand and turned into a full kit, all the parts we supply fit the Revell kit as well as the rockets and bombs we have also we have supplied bespoke packages to what parts the modeller wants to add.

We have all items for the Typhoon in stock so any order that arrives before 12.00 GMT will be posted out the same day, also we now have a tracked service if required.

If you have any more questions just drop us a line.

Bob

Wow, thank you Brian and Bob!

Sounds like I NEED to get both the MDC kit AND the Revell kit, as I can't decide which to build first! Anyone have an MDC kit or a Revell Car-door kit they want to get rid of? :whistle:

I too have heard very good things about the MDC Typhoon, though I have not bought one as yet. There are a few threads here that detail the kit being built as I recall, and the Revell kit, with or without upgrades, can still be built into a splendid model if one takes the time. I have a couple of the Revell kits in my stash (big surprise there), to get to "one day".

I have a couple of the Revell kits in my stash (big surprise there)

YOU'RE KIDDING!!! Never would have guessed you would have Typhoons LOL!!! J/K

Thanks Ron, just read through your thread- excellent build there!

Brian- I'm with you, a Tempest would be welcomed in 1/32!

Jim- Thank you for the info, hope you enjoy finishing your kit!

James- BLOODY GORGEOUS!!! I just found (and bought) those exact markings from Aviaeology on Ebay, perhaps the last set to be found out there! Thanks for sharing the photos of yours. :goodjob: