Rules of the Road

LSP_Kevin

I want to join the OOB group build. My choice -- IF it is allowed -- is a Revell 1/32 RAF Mustang II with a Hasegawa P-51D nose/engine compartment graft. No AM, just a straight kitbash. Is this acceptable to everyone?

Go for it Jim.

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Thinking of joining the group build after I finish my P-51. I've read all the rules and questions but have one myself. Is it permissible to add spark plug wires to an engine and brake lines? I would assume most likely it wouldn't be allowed unless they were made from stretched sprue, monofilament or thin plastic rod.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Thinking of joining the group build after I finish my P-15. I've read all the rules and questions but have one myself. Is it permissible to add spark plug wires to an engine and brake lines? I would ssume most likely it wouldn't be allowed unless they were made from stretched sprue, monofilament or thin plastic rod.

Peter

If you fabricate them yourself then they're fine Peter; if you buy a commercial wire set then we'd have to consider that 'aftermarket'. It's line-ball thing to be honest, since most of those commercial sets are made from the same materials you'd likely fabricate your own with (lead wire, solder, fuse wire, electrical wire, etc).

So to put it more clearly: a commercial modelling aftermarket wire set (such as those from Aber and others) would be out. But if you go purchase a packet of solder or fuse wire, you'd be OK. As I said, it's a pretty rubbery and slightly arbitrary distinction, and to be honest, if it kept you out of the GB, then I'd probably allow it anyway. How's that for rules!

Kev

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Question from new member...

I am building a Zoukei-Mura Skyraider 1/32...

Can I participate under the following conditions:

1. I began the build late August 2012... (I think this is fine based on my reading of the rules)

2. I have been posting a WIP on this kit on another board... (is it ok to replicate the WIP here)

3. This kit is largely OOB; however, I purchased some of the ZM extras like the metal gun barrels, ordnance, and landing gear... this were designed strictly for the kit... does this exclude me?

Thanks, Mitch from Iowa, USA

Question from new member...

I am building a Zoukei-Mura Skyraider 1/32...

Can I participate under the following conditions:

1. I began the build late August 2012... (I think this is fine based on my reading of the rules)

2. I have been posting a WIP on this kit on another board... (is it ok to replicate the WIP here)

3. This kit is largely OOB; however, I purchased some of the ZM extras like the metal gun barrels, ordnance, and landing gear... this were designed strictly for the kit... does this exclude me?

Thanks, Mitch from Iowa, USA

Mitch, as long as you're not, roughly, more than 25% of the way through the build, you're good to go.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

:post1:

Kev

Thanks for the welcome... I was delighted to discover this board today while searching images of the ZM Skyraider... there is an already outstanding WIP on that kit by a modeler far better than I; however, I thought participating in the OOB build would be edifying for me and the other journey builders like myself... It is a pity though, that I am well beyond the 25% point... as I said, it is fully documented and transferable from elsewhere, but as they say "rules is rules." I look forward to learning, lurking, and contributing at some level in the future... best, Mitch

Thanks for the welcome... I was delighted to discover this board today while searching images of the ZM Skyraider... there is an already outstanding WIP on that kit by a modeler far better than I; however, I thought participating in the OOB build would be edifying for me and the other journey builders like myself... It is a pity though, that I am well beyond the 25% point... as I said, it is fully documented and transferable from elsewhere, but as they say "rules is rules." I look forward to learning, lurking, and contributing at some level in the future... best, Mitch

Mitch, how far is 'well beyond'? We can fudge it a leetle beet, but too much is not really fair on the other participants, as I'm sure you'd understand.

Also, don't forget that you can still start a thread about your build in the Works in Progress forum, as there's no rule there about the amount of work already done (as long as it's still technically 'in progress'). We'd love to see it!

Kev

Agreed with what Kev said, if you are in fact still in progress, put a WIP up on the in progress section, wed love to follow along.

The kit is fantastic. I havnt built a kit that was quite as much "fun" to build as the ZM SPAD I built was. The whole massive interior detail thing is there style, but not really mine as Im a closed hatch kinda guy and my build reflected that, but the engineering and accuracy of the kit itself along with concise clear and well thought out instructions made the thing a JOY to put together.

Thanks guys... I'll put it up in a WIP as it is not done, but far along the way... sorry I missed the OOB thing, but it still looks like there's time to join with another kit... I was thinking of the big Tamiya Spit or I have the gargantuan Airfix 1/24 Mossie in the stash...