Hasegawa 1/32 Bf-109G-6/R6 Finished 10/20/13

Daywalker

Frank, Your 109 is looking great again! I liked the Wild Sau version too but this should be just as interesting!

All the best to you and your build!

Paul

Thanks Paul for looking in! Now that the base 74/75/76 camo is on, feels a bit like the first time around. Can't go much further from the look of the first, being very dark with lots of black paint! This one will be mostly white. I finished the spinner, with a worn white distemper finish on it to play with the technique. The first try was OK, but the second looks MUCH better IMHO.

003-4.jpg

Here is the airframe with the 74/75/76 roughly sprayed. I didn't spend much time getting the scheme 100% accurate, as most of it will be covered in white distemper. I usually do hard edged lines on the wings and tail, but didn't as it would time wasted. I also chipped some of the paint down to the Alclad base, a lot of this will be covered as well so it will not look as stark as it does now.

002-5-1.jpg

001-9.jpg

Next up, a clear coat then masked and painted markings, stay tuned!

Edited by Daywalker

Yep. She looks like a 109 again! :D

Hehe... she sure does. Thanks for looking in!

Cool, Frank. Looking good, as usual. Keep it going, my friend.......Harv :popcorn:

Thanks Harv!

Frank, "Red 6" is one of my favorite Gustavs so disappointed to see her change colors. On the other hand I won't have to worry about "I wish mine would have turned out as nice as Frank's" when I do it! ;)

You're too kind Mike, but thank you! I would love to see you work your magic on Red 6.

Small update today, began the masking and painting of the national markings. I began with the lower crosses, as it is less noticeable if you make a mistake (which I did!). The crosses are not straight, and I was a bit concerned that this might happen. The Montex masks I am using seem to have shrunk a bit over time, resulting in slightly crooked markings. If you look at the new sheet, you can see gaps between the masks where the cuts are. Some smaller parts seem to have shrunk, other parts not. Really makes it tougher to get them straight. I have used Montex in the past, and always have this issue. The AdAstra masks I have used did not have this problem, and I wish I could get Ian to cut me more of them. Oh, well. Until that day, I will soldier on with what I have. I decided that the man masking and painting the underwing crosses was having a bad day the day he painted these on, and didn't really care if they looked good or not.

:whistle:

On to the pics!

001-7.jpg

002-7.jpg

Next up, masking and painting the upper markings. I have seen period photos showing two styles of winter camo application. Some photos show VERY carefully masked markings with the white distemper sprayed right up next to them. This has the look of markings painted OVER the white. Others have roughly sprayed distemper going near the markings, with some overspray on the markings themselves. This would best be replicated by painting the markings first, then spraying the white around them. Still trying to decide how to do this one, unfortunately I have not found any good photos of this exact aircraft (or others from the same unit) to help me decide. Anyone have good photos showing winter camo Bf-109G-6's from 2/JG 52? :please:

Frank, I may be able to help, will check my library when I get home but I'm pretty sure I have a couple of shots.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate that! I'll look forward to hearing from you, hopefully you can find some photos as that would help immensely.

Frank, How ever you decide to do it Im sure will turn out great. Im just loking forward to seeing how the hair spray thing works out, I have a feeling you're going to teach us all a new trick or two, just take lots of pics please?

All the best to you and your builds,

Paul

Frank, How ever you decide to do it Im sure will turn out great. Im just loking forward to seeing how the hair spray thing works out, I have a feeling you're going to teach us all a new trick or two, just take lots of pics please?

All the best to you and your builds,

Paul

Thank you for the vote of confidence Paul! I am really looking forward to getting back to this one, though my work schedule this week has kept me away from the bench. The week before Christmas in a retail jewelry store means LOADS of overtime! :help:

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of progress on this one! I spent a few hours on Saturday, spraying the white distemper and then wearing through the first layers quite aggressively. After that, another sporadic coat of white to lend a layered appearance to it all. In the photos, it looks a bit bleached out but after some weathering with oils it should look more better. You can see a bit of the metal basecoat poking through, and on top of that some of the camo colors. I also sprayed the black 5, and used decals for the tail, fuselage crosses, and squadron badge. The decals look much more stark than the painted wing crosses, but later on some blending and additional weathering will sort that issue out. Disaster struck while applying the fuselage crosses from an Owl Decals sheet, with the right one tearing into tiny bits and rendering itself completely unusable. I thought "no problem, I'll just buy another sheet". The crosses on that sheet are a bit different than the crosses on all of my other sheets, and to match the left one I really needed a new sheet of these decals. Unfortunately, they are as rare as hen's teeth now! Thankfully, a good friend on the forums here offered his sheet to me so that I may continue on with this one. Thanks Mike, I really owe you one bro!

001-8.jpg

004-3.jpg

002-8.jpg

003-5.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Frank

Decided to go back to page one and read through the entire build to refresh course of events up to the latest post. Nothing like fighting your way through both the painting and decal problems, stripping the 109 back down to bare plastic, dealing with the broken wing and then more decal problems. Congrats on staying the course. I'm glad you spoke with EE and their excellent customer service came though. I used their decals on Big Beautiful Doll, ruined one or two decals and after one email to Judy, a new sheet for just the cost of postage arrived to save the day. Also needed an emergency mask for the ID numbers and Ian at Astra Masks came though in a flash! Never thought of using Mr Surfacer Leveling for stripping paint and decals but it really did the trick.

Excellent decision to go with the winter scheme; awesome choice. Painting weathering and masking looks just stellar. and the spinner is right on the money.

Keep 'em coming

Peter :popcorn: :popcorn:

Edited by Peterpools

me like :popcorn: :)

Thank you Martin!

Frank

Decided to go back to page one and read through the entire build to refresh course of events up to the latest post. Nothing like fighting your way through both the painting and decal problems, stripping the 109 back down to bare plastic, dealing with the broken wing and then more decal problems. Congrats on staying the course. I'm glad you spoke with EE and their excellent customer service came though. I used their decals on Big Beautiful Doll, ruined one or two decals and after one email to Judy, a new sheet for just the cost of postage arrived to save the day. Also needed an emergency mask for the ID numbers and Ian at Astra Masks came though in a flash! Never thought of using Mr Surfacer Leveling for stripping paint and decals but it really did the trick.

Excellent decision to go with the winter scheme; awesome choice. Painting weathering and masking looks just stellar. and the spinner is right on the money.

Keep 'em coming

Peter :popcorn: :popcorn:

Cheers Peter, thanks for looking in! It has been quite a journey on this one, though admittedly not as tough as the last 109 I built! That one almost killed me LOL. I too love Ian's masks, used them on my A6M5 and they were VERY good. Just wish I could get more of them. Have been trying for months but no luck yet. I have found that the Gunze thinner will take all paints right off, as well as clear coats and decals. Also buffs the plastic ever so slightly making an even smoother finish. I have not experienced any sort of plastic damage on Hasegawa or Tamiya plastic, even the clear parts seem impervious to it. Give it a try if you ever need to strip paint.

Thanks for the feedback, I really do appreciate it. :thumbsup: