Hasegawa 1/32 Bf-109G-6/R6 Finished 10/20/13

Daywalker

Great to see you as well Frank! ....and still turning out such amazing stuff! As I do not have a single 109 in my current stash, can you (or any of the fine fellas here) recommend a good one in 1/32? I tend to lean towards the E & G models as my faves.

For the time being though, I'll need to focus on the 'Fee' considering it was an anniversary gift fom my wife. (Yeah, she's pretty awesome.)

Wow very nice! My favorite 109! I always wanted to build the "Rote 6". Nice work so far!

Thank you, but she will not be Rote 6 for much longer!

Great to see you as well Frank! ....and still turning out such amazing stuff! As I do not have a single 109 in my current stash, can you (or any of the fine fellas here) recommend a good one in 1/32? I tend to lean towards the E & G models as my faves.

For the time being though, I'll need to focus on the 'Fee' considering it was an anniversary gift fom my wife. (Yeah, she's pretty awesome.)

Thank you Mike! As far as the 109's go, Eduard and Dragon do various versions but I have not built one yet. This is my second Hasegawa 109G, and they are not bad with a little bit of extra work. Revell has announced a new tool G-6, due sometime early next year. I will definitely have a go at one of those! Speaking of bipes, I have just ordered one of Wingnut Wings' Sopwith Pups. :thumbsup:

Guest Peterpools

Frank

Sometimes Lady Luck has a strange way of showing her face and she must have been saying. With amazingly no damage other then a separated wing, the 109 has a new lease on life. Looking forward to the new paint finish.

Peter,

Frank

Sometimes Lady Luck has a strange way of showing her face and she must have been saying. With amazingly no damage other then a separated wing, the 109 has a new lease on life. Looking forward to the new paint finish.

Peter,

Thanks Peter, I couldn't agree more! I can't wait until the masks arrive, looking forward to painted on markings again too.

Thanks for that info on the 109's Frank. I'll be sure to look into those. I love Eduard kits, so a 1/32 Emil sounds mighty tempting.

Sorry to see Red 6 go, but I'm sure the new scheme will be every bit as amazing! ....and congrats on the Pup! It's a great kit, and Ultracast sells some neat rigging termination points in PE for RAF birds that'll really dress 'er up!

Thanks for that info on the 109's Frank. I'll be sure to look into those. I love Eduard kits, so a 1/32 Emil sounds mighty tempting.

Sorry to see Red 6 go, but I'm sure the new scheme will be every bit as amazing! ....and congrats on the Pup! It's a great kit, and Ultracast sells some neat rigging termination points in PE for RAF birds that'll really dress 'er up!

Right on Mike, I'd love to see your work on a 109! Those biplanes of yours are jaw-dropping. My Pup arrived today, what a kit! Wish I could start it right this second (Gotta finish the big F-16, 109, and Spitfire first.)

I spent some time today stripping paint, using my favorite method of cotton buds and Gunze Mr. Color Leveling Thinner. Takes everything off (paint, decals, clear coats) without harming the plastic. In fact, it seems to ever-so-slightly polish the surface. About 75% done now, another two hours of paint removal and we are back in business! :piliot:

2012-11-15171641.jpg

2012-11-15171655.jpg

Edited by Daywalker

• 2 weeks later...

All of the paint has been stripped, and everything aside from the canopy has been re-masked. A lot of work, but in the end it will be worth it. Waiting now on the Montex masks to arrive from across the pond!

006-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

Your a mad mad, Frank. And people think I rip and tear. One of the few.....very few, 109's I like. Press on, and I'm sure it will be a stunner !............Harv :popcorn:

Your a mad mad, Frank. And people think I rip and tear. One of the few.....very few, 109's I like. Press on, and I'm sure it will be a stunner !............Harv :popcorn:

Thanks Harv, a friend insinuated that I must own stock in Gunze products for as much as I use! Seems I paint every model at LEAST twice before I am happy with it!

• 2 weeks later...

A belated update on the 109, I have been working on her but was unable to take progress photos until today as my photo setup was taken down this week while they installed new windows in the workshop. Back up and running now though!

I stripped the paint off of the spinner and blades, and gave the spinner a coat of scale black (70% black and 30% brown) followed by a coat of gloss clear. I found a new formula for a super-smooth coat of Future floor wax, thinning it about 75% Future with 25% Isopropyl alcohol seems ideal. I have NEVER before gotten such a smooth coat using Future- VERY exciting!

001-6.jpg

The blades were given a coat of Alclad duraluminum straight onto the kit plastic. I was worried about the solvents attacking the plastic, but by carefully misting on the first coats I avoided any troubles. Next up, I will give them a coat of paint then scrub the paint off of the blade backs.

003-3.jpg

While doing this, I took some extra parts and began practicing a weathered winter whitewash finish using the hairspray method. After that, I used some oils to richen the base colors. It came out pretty good, not bad IMHO for a first attempt.

002-6.jpg

Finally, the model was painted yellow on the underside of the nose, the lower wingtips, and the fuselage band. After clear-coating that, I masked them off. I also painted the canopy area a dark grey and masked that off as most of these winter camouflaged 109's had that area devoid of white. I also gave the wing root areas a coat of duraluminum, in anticipation of wearing down the paint to bare metal in that area.

004-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

Thanks for looking in, next up- the base camo paint. Stay tuned!