Spitfire seats - same for all versions?

LSP_Kevin

Just looking to replace the kit seat on my Matchbox Spitfire 22/24 build, and am wondering if all Spitfire seats were roughly the same. There are several AM replacement Spitfire seats on the market, but they're all described as suitable for earlier versions. If I can use or adapt one of these seats, I'd much rather do that than scratch-build one!

Kev

Thanks fellas. Tony, the seat in your photos looks remarkably like the aftermarket seats I've been looking at online, most of which specifically mention the Tamiya Mk IX. At what point in the Spitfire's lineage did the composite seat emerge?

Radu, is this the seat you're referring to?

http://www.greymatterfigures.com/index.php?p=2&id=24

Kev

The "plastic" seat first appeared in May,1940, and was always viewed as an alternative, not a replacement, though metal seats would have been few-and-far-between once Supermarine's factory was destroyed in 1940. They stayed with the Spitfire right up to, and including, the 24, and, certainly, the Seafire 17. Post-war, they were rescued, and used in other airframes like the Provost, Vampire, Meteor and Hornet. They were produced by Aeroplastics Ltd., a Glasgow-based company, now defunct, though Tufnol (another Glasgow company) advertises a similar-sounding product. The seat was never made from Bakelite (may curses rain down on the Whitehall mandarin who used that name in a Spitfire manual,) nor Tufnol; it was always known, simply, as the "plastic seat."

Edgar

So a seat designed for Tamiya's Mk IX kit would be suitable? I assume the 'non-plastic' seat was simply metal? Was it substantially different in design, or only materials?

Kev

Radu's seat is both good and accurate, and Edgar's advice, as always, very sage. The design of the plastic seat verses the metal seat was so close as to make little or no difference (some have the leather padding, others don't, but that is about all apart from the colour), so go with the GMF item, you won't regret it.

Derek

The "plastic" seat first appeared in May,1940, and was always viewed as an alternative, not a replacement, though metal seats would have been few-and-far-between once Supermarine's factory was destroyed in 1940. They stayed with the Spitfire right up to, and including, the 24, and, certainly, the Seafire 17. Post-war, they were rescued, and used in other airframes like the Provost, Vampire, Meteor and Hornet. They were produced by Aeroplastics Ltd., a Glasgow-based company, now defunct, though Tufnol (another Glasgow company) advertises a similar-sounding product. The seat was never made from Bakelite (may curses rain down on the Whitehall mandarin who used that name in a Spitfire manual,) nor Tufnol; it was always known, simply, as the "plastic seat."

Edgar

Interesting to know that the seat was employed in the Vampire...I have further questions on this matter?

Derek

No one here has mentioned the fact that some Spitfire seat bottoms had a six-sided recess for a "fanny pack" parachute:

01__15_020.jpg

[credit: http://spitfiresite....html/01__15_020 ]

... whereas others didn't:

Seat%20In%20Frame%2011%20400.jpg

[credit: http://spitfirespare...pilotequip.html ]

What rules/guidelines/trends apply to that distinction with regard to seat material and/or Spitfire Mark? Did all plastic seats and no metal seats include the six-sided recess? I used to think that the matter was that simple, but I'm no longer so sure. And which Marks' seats had (or tended to have) the six-sided recess. And did any real Spitfire seats have completely flat bottoms, as represented by some kit and aftermarket parts?

Charles Metz

The "lozenge" recess was designed to accept the air bottle, which inflated the dinghy (not carried during 1940, hence the simpler undulating base.) In 1940, the pilots had a thin sheet of sorbo rubber between parachute and bum, which they forfeited when the dinghy arrived, so discomfort increased, and became a way of life. At least they didn't suffer as long as Mustang pilots (lack of fuel can have its benefits.)

Edgar

No one here has mentioned the fact that some Spitfire seat bottoms had a six-sided recess for a "fanny pack" parachute:

Charles Metz

The Grey Matter seat reflects this polygonal depression.

Hi Guys.

Barracuda Studios makes a nice resin Spitfire seat that works fro all ve5rsion that used the plastic seat. The other one that Charlie shows in his photos is the metal seat, which was much rarer in all but the early Spitfires.

http://barracudacals.com/proddetail.php?prod=BR32001

It has the dished area in the seat pan for the air bottle.

Hope this helps.

Roy

Did any real Spitfire seats have completely flat bottoms, as represented by some kit and aftermarket parts?

It's possible, since there are drawings which show a simple base; there's also an Air Ministry illustration, which shows a square recess, which might have been replaced by the lozenge, if it was more shear-resistant. Throughout the life of the Spitfire, there are several mods, which call for the seat to be strengthened; it's possible to work out, with some of them, what this entailed, but not all. Vickers had a modifications ledger, for the Spitfire and Seafire, which can be infuriatingly light, at times, on reasons for the need for a particular action.

Edgar