1/35 Tamiya Panzer Kampfwagon Ausf G

smudger

Hi all,

Bit of light relief from building the 1/32 JU88 & 1/48 P-61.

Got this for $8 & built it OOB, enjoyed the build & I know I've overdone the waethering but I decided to play around a little bit on this build.

I'm really starting to enjoy the odd armour model & I've just ordered 2 or 3 of DML WW2 armour kits in 1/35

Happy Modelling, Martin

7388412962_c1ee6ff2a0_b.jpg7388393978_52537915d7_b.jpg7388392454_6cd481f15e_b.jpg7388397608_eea88f51e0_b.jpg7388411872_601c32fc7f_b.jpg7388415128_dfd5b182c8_b.jpg7388417124_906d18f293_b.jpg

Thanks for looking..................................

Its a technique I thought I'd try from a Mig Jimenez DVD & its all brush painted but you'l need as much refernce as possible for the model you are making to ensure you "chip" in the correct places - I basically guessed at this one just to test out the technique so I really dont know if the chipping is overdone, in the right places etc etc but I do like the look of it as a technique & its easy to do:

1. I put a few drops of gloss varnish in my matt basecoat colours as the very slightly satin finish it leaves accepts the weathering better.
  2. I then started off with a lightened version of the base sand colour & paint the chipping in that colour on the relevant areas of the green camo (I think the green was sprayed on top off the sand base colour on the real machine so any chipping of the green paint would reveal the sand base colour underneath)
  3. I then used Tamiya Burnt Iron to add the dark chipped areas everywhere to represent areas where no paint was left & showing through to the dark grey primed, slightly rusty metal underneath, taking care on the green camo to leave part of the sand colour chipping carried out in (1) visible.
  4. I then used Tamiya sky grey (very, very thin) as a filter to blend it all together.
  5. Add rust streaks etc over the top of all this.

I do like to buy very cheap kits on the rare occasion that I see them ($5-$10 for 1/32 or 1/35 scale) so that I can play around with different techniques without stressing about ruining a $60-$150 prized model kit - they dont all work out & quite a number of $5 plane models have been given to neighbours kids to "fly" after my failed attempts but it keeps it fun lol.

Happy modelling everyone,

Martin

• 1 month later...