Bf109F-4/Z Trop, 3./JG27, Hans Joachim Marseille, N. Africa, Feb. 1942

dodgem37

Moving this thread to the OOB GB is a joke, right? :hmmm:

D

Nah D, scratch-building is allowed! AFAICT, Mark hasn't used any aftermarket parts at all. As I said elsewhere, perhaps a more accurate name for this GB would have been 'DIY' rather than 'AOOB'.

Kev

Moving this thread to the OOB GB is a joke, right? :hmmm:

D

No.........Thats where the "A" in "AOOB" comes from...................Almost. Per the GB rules any kind of raw material scratch building is ok. :D

Otherwise, only markings and belts allowed for commercially purchased items

Ok, two things:

1) This build was started a month ago:

The Almost OOB! Group Build will run from 1 July 2012 until 30 June 2013.

2) The rules state "minor upgrades":

The point of this Group Build is to give you the opportunity for an AMS holiday, while still allowing you the flexibility to perform minor upgrades to the base kit to ensure it is built to your satisfaction, free from the usual OOB compromises.

Should massive scratchbuilding be allowed just because it isn't aftermarket?

Just curious...

D

Ok, two things:

1) This build was started a month ago:

2) The rules state "minor upgrades":

Should massive scratchbuilding be allowed just because it isn't aftermarket?

Just curious...

D

Well, while what Mark's doing is probably beyond what most of use would consider 'minor', he's still just detailing the basic kit. The main reason for allowing it though is that this is Mark's preferred building style, and we'd like to encourage the maximum participation in the GB, even if it means applying a loose interpretation of the rules. After all, we're supposed to be having fun, not trying to pass an entrance exam! We're only going to be strict with the aftermarket restrictions.

Started kits are allowed, as long as they're not more than 25% complete (roughly).

Kev

I think this is a perfect addition to this GB, from my point of view very motivational and inspiring. Mark is fulfilling all of the requirements and showing as one of the ways how it can be done. Old school, guys, old school.

I love it!

Cheers

Martin

Thank you for looking in and your wonderful comments.

K, Martin, you guys are soo funny. I love your humor. It is also the humor of the 'cast of LSP characters' which makes this such a grande place to hang ones' hat.

D - The reason I asked if this could be moved over is because I interpreted part of the Rules as meaning scratch-building was allowed since the aftermarket parts that are usually used are not.

Thank you Kevin, Brian, Martin, for chiming in during my absence.

Folks, I haven't been ignoring you. The Washington, DC area experienced a severe thunderstorm last Friday resulting in over a million homes without power and (consequently) Internet service. I being one of them. Power and service were only restored in my locale late last night.

The storm started in Colorado and eventually went out to sea here on the East Coast. Tavelling about 2,000 miles. Although not very deep it was over 200 miles wide, knocking out power as far south as North Carolina, and sadly killing 18 along its' entire path. Over 3 million homes from the East Coast stretching West were without power.

Contract repair crews came in from as far north as Canada, because they were uneffected. Some in the area will be without power until next Tuesday. With local temperatures at and above 95 degrees and humidy hovering around 95 percent it has been a real sweat-box. It's good to once again have power, service, and AC. It'll give me a chance to mosy on down into the cooler climes of the basement and see what I can see.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I heard about the bad news on the radio the other day. It was pouring rain , early morning and I was thinking how "wise" was to buy a house in the flood zone, since the fraser River has been recently rising as well. Scary to even think about. Stay strong guys.

M.

Edited by Martinnfb

Roger that, Martin.

The size of the earlier tailwheel well detail was a bit too bulky for my taste, so I slimmed it down.

DSCN6709.jpg

It probably doesn't look too different from the earlier version but I swapped all .010 strip with .005 strip. Instead of glueing the 'T' to a pin rod as I did before I flared the pin end, seen here on top of the thick rod.

DSCN6710.jpg

Other side.

DSCN6711.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about! It was helpful to install the piece facing in the right direction this time around.

DSCN6713.jpg

Looking forward. Not perfectly perfect, but it looks a bit better than before.

DSCN6714.jpg

Looking rearward.

I apologize for the redundancy. But I couldn't let this go knowing I could make it a little bit better.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

I didn't think it could be made better, but I agree Mark. What you already had looked absolutely super but your changes make the first assembly look just a tad bulky even though I would have been thrilled if I had accomplished it!!!

Absolutely amazing work Mark, as always, you show the way... :clap2: :clap2:

Bud