Bf109F-4/Z Trop, 3./JG27, Hans Joachim Marseille, N. Africa, Feb. 1942

dodgem37

Yesterday I had the opportunity to go to an American college football game between Yale and Georgetown, eat a burger, dog, cole slaw, and potato salad, and rub elbows with the intelligencia. Alas, it is my wife who is the member of the Washington Yale Club. I'm a member of Large Scale Planes.

In spite of the game being, what, Division III, it had its fair share of thrilling moments. For Georgetown, a 45 yard interception return for touchdown, and an 80 yard broken play punt return for touchdown.

For Yale, a 98 yard tipped pass for touchdown and, with Yale up 24 to 21 with 33 seconds to play and Georgetown first down and goal-to-go on Yales' 9 yard line with neither team having timeouts, Yale intercepted the fade pass to the right corner end zone to seal the win. The fans went as wild as an Ivy League fan can get. A good time was had by all.

I've been doing a lot of itty bitty work for the past few weeks. But first off a couple of pics of the office, so to speak.

DSCN6820.jpg

After dusting with pastell chalk. The left side of the cockpit sill is indented to receive a projecting element of the canopy which assists with canopy alignment.

DSCN6821.jpg

Lost the emergency canopy release handle. I'll make a new one. I removed the pull-handles in the IP to make it easier to test fit. Not well seen to the left are the two retainers to hold the rear-most canopy in place.

DSCN6823.jpg

Locating the tropical air filter and trying to get the angles matched up between it and the stand-offs. Bad fit between the the top and side panels.

DSCN6832.jpg

Aligning each arm so they are parallel.

DSCN6833.jpg

It's larger in diameter than the kit part but I'm going with it.

A few more below.

DSCN6824.jpg

Cockpit lights. Insulation threaded thru insulation

DSCN6826.jpg

I made 'clamps' by cutting the side of an insulation strip, stretching it open a bit, then glueing in place. Windshield framing.

DSCN6825.jpg

In place. .020 x .020 strip, .010 rod hand holds.

DSCN6827.jpg

Rear canopy framing. .020 rod and .020 x .020 strip.

DSCN6828.jpg

Still working on the framing here. Framing strips are similar.

DSCN6829.jpg

Other side.

DSCN6830.jpg

Located the tabs for the rudder.

DSCN6831.jpg

In place. I needed to add a shim to even things out a bit. Hmm, the tail light must have fallen out.

Many thanks for stopping by.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Mark

Stellar work. your precise level of work and detailing is both amazing and inspiring.

Glad you enjoyed the game and the chow

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

It is always fun when my phone dings that I have an email and it is your thread! As always, your work is fantastic and your skills are at the top. Superb attention to detail that is then beautifully crafted. Keep it coming Mark.

Thank you, Bud. That is so nice of you to say.

Thank you, Evan. For the most part I'm happy with the changes Hasegawa made to this kit as compared to their G's and K. The single fuselage is nice. The cowl drop-in is nice. It matches up well to the gun cover nicely and one doesn't have to rescribe the handholds.

But!, The cowl fit could be a lot better on the model I'm working on. Also, I think it inexcusable of Hasegawa to charge full price and to not have supplied either an early F wing for the Marseille aircrafts, or a complete drop-in for the top of the F wheel well with a correction for the wheel well opening to make it an early wing, instead using the G wing with an inaccurate wheel well opening (for the cover art) and having one drop a patch into the inner side of the wheel well bulge.

I have to give Hasegawa credit for their effort on the inner detail of the windscreen, main canopy, rear canopy, and handholds and cockpit light detail. Inner detail is nice to see. But!, To include such arcane, minute, and unfortuneately shallow, detail when the wheel wells are in such need, I think is problem-solving in the wrong direction. This kit should have an early F wing. By comparison the inner clear parts' detail is insignificant. But apparently Hasegawa thinks differently

G- I did enjoy my Holiday, thank you. Thank you ever so much for your compliment. At times I feel as if cockpits are my bane. But I figure if I build enough kits I'm bound to get to a point where it's not so onerous to do.

I'm glad I can help, Peter. Some of the stuff I do is because that is what I would like to see within the make-up of the model. Such as the open tropical filter, and horizontal stabs and rudder. For the rudder and stabs I took a lesson from Tamiyas' and Tumpeters' hinge solution. I modified it by squishing solder to appear as their solution within the hinge opening.

The project I'm working on now is the center canopy section. I want the windows to be open and yet I don't want to drill the kit part for fear of messing it up (I need a back-up in case this project doesn't succeed). So I'm building it. The windows will be able to slide.

I just try to build that which I want.

Thank you for your very generous compliment, Maru.

My apologies for taking so long to respond. I seem to be getting busier and busier and don't have as much time to drop by as I have in the past.

Thanks for stopping by!

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Guest Peterpools

Mark

Just inspired by the way you solve problems and bring the details to life. Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

I know what you mean re: the wheel wells. I built the F-2 and ended up using a PE insert from an Aires set for the upper surface of the wheel wells. Had the complete wells, but the resin parts were broken in the package. Oh well, works well enough for me.