Bf109F-4/Z Trop, 3./JG27, Hans Joachim Marseille, N. Africa, Feb. 1942

dodgem37

Brilliant Mark, the revised assembly really does look better. I know exactly how you feel. I've just recently torn a whole bunch of stuff off the Merlin engine and re-did it because I felt it didn't look quite right. I'm one step forward and three steps back but I'm almost ready to take some more pics. Just have to reinstall the upper ignition conduit and add the spark plug wires. Sheeeeeesh! :mental:

Cheers,

Wolf

Thank you ever so much, Gentlemen. And thank you for the belated Birthday wishes, Derek.

Wolf, How I know! The Merlin is just one tough nut to crack. I'm not as at ease building the Mustang/Merlin as I am with 109s so for me it seems it's just WORK! I don't seem to mind rebuilding some things, such as the rudder mechanism. But that Merlin! I have never done so much back and forth and back AGAIN and AGAIN on a build as I have with that engine and compartment. I'm considering showing the right side cowling off instead of all of them. The idea of detailing that engine in the round . . . . as well as the wheel wells - OOF!

Small update:

DSCN6716.jpg

Finishing up the cockpit so I can paint the interior. Built up the fuel line. The kit part is about .030 in diameter. The blue insulation is about .020, making the copper wire about .018, I suppose. I built a fuel line using .030 solder and it seemed bulky, so I went with a leaner look. It may be too thin but I like its' look. Added oxygen hose and microphone plug-in, which is the little spiral-giral thing on the floor leading into the white rod lying on the little box. Need to smooth out the curves in the tail end of the fuel line.

DSCN6717.jpg

While I was stretching clear sprue to make the fuel line glass I went ahead and trimmed off the rudder formation light and replaced it with clear sprue as well.

Thanks for looking in!

Sincerely,

Mark

Incredible work. Having to do the plumbing, wiring and other additional detailing in 2 or 3 layers really makes for an office you feel like you could crawl into and fly the plane. Really beautiful work Mark. Your attention to even the smallest (as in tiny) detail is really a joy to see. Keep it up...

Bud

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you one and all.

Kevin, I'm hoping it will look just as interesting when painted.

Tomek, I love your work as well.

Bud, Progress is slow, but it's progress none-the-less.

Evan, Indeed you do need to get back to your 109.

Martin, You are awsome! I love that!

I'd been spending the past couple of weeks working on a project for a bud which hadn't allowed me to put much time into this, but this week I was able to do a little painting and what seemed to me to be a lot of corrective measures.

First, the painting:

DSCN6728.jpg

After a base of primer, RLM66, and future, I painted up some details. No wash or highlights yet.

DSCN6722.jpg

Same thing here, a base of primer, RLM66, and future, and painted up details. No wash or highlights yet. I forgot to add the shoulder harness connector prior to painting, the reason it's unpainted. I painted the pedal straps green this time around instead of sand as I've done in the past. I may go back to sand as it offers more contrast.

DSCN6723.jpg

Other side.

The corrective measures:

DSCN6719.jpg

I couldn't let this go. I swapped out the .005 strip for aluminum strip. It's now done.

DSCN6721.jpg

Looking forward.

DSCN6720.jpg

Looking rearward.

DSCN6726.jpg

While rummaging around for imagery I noticed the strap had a button on either end which fastened it to the wall. So I punched those out. I saw the chain condition and thought I would tightly twist two strands of wire to see if they could represent the chain. Luckily the condition is low and behind the wheel so seeing all of that scraping may be minimized. I got carried away and scraped off I don't know what, but I replaced it with some .010 x .010 strip. Needed to remake the throttle and such.

DSCN6725.jpg

My kingdom to be able to paint an instrument panel. Well, a shed maybe. After painting and detailing I stripped it with Easy-Off oven cleaner because I HATED IT! The 'scrubbing' removed all of the added on detail, so, I did it again. This time I added some details I had missed earlier. The IP has two holes in it. The far one I botched a bit and ended up scratching the square bezel below it. The little flap above the hole: the gun sight electrical chord goes into the hole. The flap is hinged so I opened it. Miscellaneous pull handles, and some sort of turn handle for an electrical device.

Thank you everyone for looking in and for such wonderful comments.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Peterpools

Mark

Just finished reading your Star of Africa build from page one through today and as usual, I'm completely blown away by your abilities and uncompromising level of detail.front offices are my favorite part of a model and your is simply incredible. hen there is the tailwheel assembly - a work of scale art.

Awesome work ..

Peter