Large scale horton 229 ?

spacewolf

Vaughn,

The vac kit is basic, some scribed detail from the best my memory can pop up for now! Entire upper half & lower half. I had the kit years ago. Roberts Models adds some generic resin details ( mostly repops of other kits parts) seat, wheels, etc. not generally accurate. I have some B&W pics I took of the Horten at the Garber facility years ago I could send you/ post. One of my favorite a/c! I hope someone comes out with a resin or plastic version in the future. Once I'm over this crap I'm dealing with and can start models again I may have to be a bit more picky on my choices and the Ho 229 is at the near top of the list.

Here is my Combat Models Horten built lo these many moons ago. I will not tell how much work went into it because it may scare you away. Only "usable" parts were the top and bottom vac wing pieces and the clear part. Bently makes an outstanding set of drawings and I went with those.

Ho229001.jpg

Ho229005.jpg

Ho229004.jpg

Ho229003.jpg

Very nice build Jerry and thanks for posting. I asked about Combat kits on the 'other' forum and the comments were many and negative. Seems any positives would be far outweighed by the negatives. So, with Bentley drawings in hand it looks like scratch building is actually the easy way to go. Thanks for the input guys.

Vaughn

not my cup of tea but looks cool enough...

now try & track down a copy of Ho229 'Spirit Of Thuringia' for under £100 haha

I have a friend close by who has the book :) so I have access to it, As well I have almost all the other books, the Monogram closeup, the Schiffer book, Dabrowski's book, ect..I've been working towards this build for a LONG time !

Cheers

Vaughn

ah, lucky you! A word of caution, the David Myhra books seem to be based at least in some part on pure conjecture - the spirit of thuringia book is apparently the most accurate in terms of technical details. sounds like you have many sources of good pics too...

Thanks for the caution, yes he does have some speculation presented as fact but I have more than enough to cross reference and weed out any issues. When it comes to the structure there isn't much you can fudge, it is what it is. Between the Bentley drawings and the photo ref I have picked up over the years the only question is if I can do justice to the material. The centersection is a cats cradle of angled tubes !

Vaughn

The Monogram Close-up book on the Horten IX was written by David Myhra and it is not too bad. I guess the editors reined him in a bit. In the mid-nineties he issued a cascade of books on all kinds of German projects that are not that great - too many blurred pictures and drawings make them hard to enjoy.

The "Spirit of Thuringia (Призрак Тюрингии) book by A.I. Shepelev was first published in Russian in 2002 and until the Classic Publications book came out it was the best book on the Ho IX. It is entirely in Russian, but my copy came with a pull-out English translation. In that book, Andrei Shepelev was the first to publish some accurate drawings of the interior that were later expanded by Arthur Bentley - the 3D renderings in the Russian edition are superb. The Classic Publications book is a much enlarged and updated book collating also Huib Ottens' research and Arthur's superb drawings.

Radu

The Monogram Close-up book on the Horten IX was written by David Myhra and it is not too bad. I guess the editors reined him in a bit. In the mid-nineties he issued a cascade of books on all kinds of German projects that are not that great - too many blurred pictures and drawings make them hard to enjoy.

The "Spirit of Thuringia (Призрак Тюрингии) book by A.I. Shepelev was first published in Russian in 2002 and until the Classic Publications book came out it was the best book on the Ho IX. It is entirely in Russian, but my copy came with a pull-out English translation. In that book, Andrei Shepelev was the first to publish some accurate drawings of the interior that were later expanded by Arthur Bentley - the 3D renderings in the Russian edition are superb. The Classic Publications book is a much enlarged and updated book collating also Huib Ottens' research and Arthur's superb drawings.

Radu

Yes indeed, the Russian book is awesome, the color 3-D renderings make it much easier to understand how things go, the landing gear setup is particularly helpful. Between that, the pics from several sources of the existing airframe and the Bentley drawings It should be do-able.

Greetings one and all!

Modelnutz here....glad to be back.

I see y'all are kinda interested in the Ho229 patterns I'm building up ;-)

Here's some more info for you all...

it's 1:24 scale

Built off the Bentley pics ( great prints by the way ! )

The initial kit will be...

2 part center section ( top and bottom surfaces )

The outer wings will be roto cast with foam filler ( wing joining rods cast in place )

full pit

vac form canopy

dummy inlets and outlets

Pilot figure included

The concept is to create a flying display piece under $200.00

I may create and upgrade kit that includes 2 engines with vac formed covers and the pipe work that shows through the (open) covers.

I'm currently on the fence about doing the landing gear with the upgrade kit though....an awful lot of plumbing going on in the front well as you know....besides, I personally hate the look of that honkin big wheel they used on the front....totally ruins the sexyness of the design (IMHO)

Perhaps I'll partner up with one of the better scratch builders her and have someone else do those details in trade for a few of the initial kits.

If you can produce a high level pattern and are interested..PM me or E-Mail to holthill@aol.com

Just so you know...the patterns are only at 50% or so...I have the top and bottom cast and ready for detailing...still quite a bit to go.

I'm thinking that this may be a Christmas kit....tax time at the latest...hard to say at this point.

However, seeing how much interest there really seems to be has re-ignited the desire to get this plane out into "meatspace"

So, with that in mind...I will, on occasion, start posting updates here.

Thanks again for all the interest....and please, visit my site ( mymonkeyworks.com ) and start an account...let me hear from you !

Ed "modelnutz" Holt

Monkey Works