Tribute take II - EMD 1/32 Bf 109G-12 Conversion

Derek B

As I couldn't obtain the drawings I needed to complete the scratchbuilt Me 163A Komet for this GB, I needed to find something else quickly - so thanks to Matt and Kev for the encouragement and idea for this new subject, the Eclipse Model Design 1/32 Messerschmidt Bf 109G-12 conversion set master patterns.

So, for me personally, different model, different view point. The Me 163A Komet was primarily aimed at our fallen LSP comrades - especially Larry and Russ. I now dedicate this new project to both our fallen comrades and current LSP members, because without all of your generous help, I would never have been able to start this new project (or many others that I have planned - thank you all).

I still need to assess everything properly, but here is what I have to play with:

EMDBf109G-1219-5-12009.jpg

Two kits - The Hasegawa 1/32 Bf 109G-4 (Tropical) and G-6. These will be my basis for the conversion.

EMDBf109G-1219-5-12004.jpg

The cockpit s (and aircrew) bits.

EMDBf109G-1219-5-12006.jpg

Just getting a general impression here.

Some things will be brand new, but other will be updates. I have to decide what level of detail to go for here...too much and I will have to make both cockpits from scratch (plus it will cost too much to make and sell). Too little and the modellers will be disappointed.

Instruments; I have three options here - modified kit IM items, resin with blank dials and decals, or PE brass and decals. If I am going to go for a straight forward conversion set using the kit parts, then I should go with the former of the three.

I intend to make new seats for both cockpits, which I may sell as separate items.

More to come when I have had time to think things through a little more.

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Some photos incoming...

Something to bear in mind. The rear 'pit (as far as we know) remains the same throughout the marque. However, forward pit does change because we have multiple versions converted - G-2, 4, 6, and at least one G-10.

I'm assuming that you'll engineer this so it can be added to any of Hasegawa's 109G kits, rather than UMI resin's whole fuselage approach...??? This mean any variation in front pit will come with the kit. Also leaves the modeller to use one of MDC's pits if they wish.

One thing you may wish to add is the unique (ish) drop tank seen on a few of the early G-12s.

Matt

Matt

Edited by mattlow

......do I see a Buchon? ;)

It is indeed Jim - I am building this conversion on behalf of GMF for the Buchon instruction sheet that I am preparing for them.

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Some photos incoming...

Something to bear in mind. The rear 'pit (as far as we know) remains the same throughout the marque. However, forward pit does change because we have multiple versions converted - G-2, 4, 6, and at least one G-10.

I'm assuming that you'll engineer this so it can be added to any of Hasegawa's 109G kits, rather than UMI resin's whole fuselage approach...??? This mean any variation in front pit will come with the kit. Also leaves the modeller to use one of MDC's pits if they wish.

One thing you may wish to add is the unique (ish) drop tank seen on a few of the early G-12s.

Matt

Matt

Great points Matt. I think that I now need good (front) cockpit references for the G-2, -4, -6 and -10 IP layouts. I am inclined to modify the kit IP at this point, thus preserving the kit standard of detail. I may well make thae tank as well, but need some additional details for this.

Thanks

Derek

Good to see you make a start on this one Derek. You may ultimately render my own planned G-12 conversion redundant! I'll possibly have to find something else to do with my old Revell kit (Avia conversion?). Anyway, really looking forward to this one!

Kev

Good to see you make a start on this one Derek. You may ultimately render my own planned G-12 conversion redundant! I'll possibly have to find something else to do with my old Revell kit (Avia conversion?). Anyway, really looking forward to this one!

Kev

Thank you Kev. This may turn out to be another one of my 'organically' developed master patterns (i.e. It will develop itself as I am working it, offering it's own suggetions to any potential problems).

Cheers

Derek

Nice looking model you have there, Derek !! Looking forward to watching this. Good luck ( don't think you'll need it, though)........Harv :popcorn:

Nice looking model you have there, Derek !! Looking forward to watching this. Good luck ( don't think you'll need it, though)........Harv :popcorn:

As one of the people who has generously helped me realise this kit, it should be me thanking you (hence my dedication to you and all of the other members of LSP who have helped me with many projects over the years - both now sadly passed away and still current).

Once I have sorted out in my head what to do, you'll see some fairly rapid progress - I still need to study the photographs carefully and try and learn more about the 109 airframe structure.

Cheers

Derek

Derek

Obviously you have you own ideas developing on this. But, for what its worth, I had thought that if you concentrated on the specifically G-12 parts, the version specific parts (i.e. front pit etc) would be furnished by the base kit. Anyone wishing to go the extra mile could add one of Vincent's beautiful 'pits sold by MDC.

This would keep it simple, keep costs down and certainly in my case lead to a couple of sales (a G-4 and a G-10 based version).

Matt

Derek Obviously you have you own ideas developing on this. But, for what its worth, I had thought that if you concentrated on the specifically G-12 parts, the version specific parts (i.e. front pit etc) would be furnished by the base kit. Anyone wishing to go the extra mile could add one of Vincent's beautiful 'pits sold by MDC. This would keep it simple, keep costs down and certainly in my case lead to a couple of sales (a G-4 and a G-10 based version). Matt

Hi Matt,

My initial instincts are to keep the kit front cockpit as is, and attempt to reproduce the rear cockpit to match the quality and style of the front kit cockpit (albeit modified, of course). I am considering more or less replicating the canopy conversion of the full size aircraft for the conversion kit (so there will not be a full fuselage, just the rear cockpit and canopy parts).

Cheers

Derek