Hurricane color codes help needed..

junkers88a1

I don't know if this helps but I'm under the impression that the colors would be RAF Dark Green/RAF Dark Earth over Sky Type S. Someone more knowledgeable than I may have better information so please don't take what I say in this reply as definitive.

HTH

Tim

Tims correct RAF Dark Green/RAF Earth over Sky and codes where in a Dark Gull grey colour and serial number in Black

Dark Green = FS34079

Earth = FS30118

Sky = FS34079

By mid-1940 the "standard" scheme would be Dark Green and Dark Earth uppers in either the 'A' or reverse 'B' pattern. Undersides would be one of the "Sky" variations. Roundels on the upper surfaces would be Red/Blue. Undersurfaces could have no roundels or have Red/White/Blue ones. The fuselage roundels would be Red/White/Blue/Yellow but the overall size and the proportions of the rings could vary. There were several variations of fin flash, all being Red/White/Blue with Blue at the hinge. Squadron/Aircraft codes would be in Medium Sea Grey and also varied in size, shape and style. As is almost always the case it is best to have photos and/or other references for the specific aircraft being modeled. I recommend "The Battle of Britain On Target Special" by the former Aviation Workshop Publications. I believe all their publication inventory went to Hannant's upon the cessation of operations. I hope this gets you pointed in the right general direction.

Edited by OldTroll

Dark Green - FS595 34079 - RAL 6031 should be OK

Dark Earth - FS595 30118 - RAL 8025 is close but needs a little more green in it

Sky - FS595 34504 - RAL 6027 or 6034 might do

Medium Sea Grey - FS595 36270 - RAL 7011 is good

Roundel Blue (Dull) - FS595 35048 - RAL 5013 or 5000 might do

Roundel Red (Dull) - FS595 30109 - RAL 8003 is close but needs to be darker with more red

Roundel Yellow - FS595 33538 - RAL 1003, 1017, 1018 are all good.

I hope this helps.

Edited by OldTroll

I must agree with Jennings - RAL 7011 seems much too dark for lettering. Based on the RAL chip site I would recommend RAL 7040 or 7042 as a good match for the grey used for squadron codes (no matter what the paint name really was.) I guess I must double-check my previously trustworthy paint cross-reference chart in the future. Thanks for the sharp eye, Jennings.