Anybody use Flory Wash ?

GSNeil

I've migrated to using them as my wash of first choice. They're much quicker and easier than oil-based washes, though I still use those on occasion too. crobinsonh is right in that it can leave a residue, but I've never had any real issue getting it off, other than doing it under inadequate lighting conditions and not noticing leftover patches. The key thing to get right is to use it over a good gloss coat; you can also get some nice all-over grungy effects if you use it over less glossy finishes.

It's important to realise though that the Flory Models washes are really designed as sludge washes, and are not at all suitable for pin washes (something oil-based washes excel at).

Kev

I use these all the time and they are brilliant. It is correct that they are best applied over a gloss coat and you need to wipe of carefully with a damp cloth until you get the effect you want. You can even clean it off completely if you want as it is only a clay wash. I find it very controllable far more so than oil or stain washes.

I should add that if you sign up to the Flory site there are videos that demonstrate their use. The site subscription is under £3/pm and is great value with all sorts of video resources available.

Edited by BarryWilliams

I use these all the time and they are brilliant. It is correct that they are best applied over a gloss coat and you need to wipe of carefully with a damp cloth until you get the effect you want. You can even clean it off completely if you want as it is only a clay wash. I find it very controllable far more so than oil or stain washes.

Couldnt have said it better myself. VERY controllable and if put over the correct sheen, will give great results over anything, as you can "control the filth" by how much (or little) gloss you put on. Its pretty much all I use as a wash since its all natural, its compatible with everything I use for clears and paints.

Brian

Brian

Are they compatible with oil paint pin washes? Or do they need to be sealed in with a gloss coat?

Sound kinda interesting but then I'm a sucker for weathering.

Depends on what you mean by 'compatible' Dan. They really are just a mixture of refined clay suspended in water with a bit of dish soap (I'm sure there's more to it than that in getting it to be an effective wash, but that's the gist of it). I could see the wash potentially being loosened or disturbed by a heavy oil wash using a lot of thinners, especially during the 'rubbing off' stage. I tend to use them in a more-or-less mutually exclusive manner, reserving the oils for metallic surfaces (for which Payne's Gray is unbeatable) or when I'm only doing a pin wash. The way I see it, you've gotta try every tool and every approach at least once, just so you're arsenal is as complete and useful as it can be, and you're always ready for the next challenge.

Kev

Also good to note that they where called ProModeler washes for a while you might get more hits on google with that (plus i think luckymodel.com still lists them as ProModelers)

• 8 years later...

Ive been wanting to get some too lately they seam to be only available from his site directly

I would really like to find alternative source, uk to canada shipping is stiff

Edited by Neo

8 hours ago, John1 said:

Bringing this long dead thread back to life - looks like Sprue Brothers are out of this stuff, I see that High Altitude Hobbies in CO has them, anyone ever dealt with this company? 

The Flory washes and sanding sticks I have, I ordered from High Altitude Hobbies. Service was good. I had some correspondence via e-mail with the owner, he responded promptly, addressing my questions and mailed out my order quickly. 

On 10/27/2020 at 10:30 PM, GDW said:

The Flory washes and sanding sticks I have, I ordered from High Altitude Hobbies. Service was good. I had some correspondence via e-mail with the owner, he responded promptly, addressing my questions and mailed out my order quickly. 

Thanks GDW!  Order placed.  

If you've been following Flory Models for a while, he showed you how to make them before he marketed them. It's simple - chalk pastels (not oil pastels), water and a drop of dish detergent. Scrape or grind the pastel into a powder, mix with water and detergent. Any "chunks" of pastel you may have missed dissolve in the liquid.

Easy.

On 11/3/2020 at 7:04 AM, Archer Fine Transfers said:

If you've been following Flory Models for a while, he showed you how to make them before he marketed them. It's simple - chalk pastels (not oil pastels), water and a drop of dish detergent. Scrape or grind the pastel into a powder, mix with water and detergent. Any "chunks" of pastel you may have missed dissolve in the liquid.

Easy.

I recommend using distilled water if you go this route for the best result.