Gunfighter! Crusader F-8C - Fisher conversion

PhilB

Now here's a thing.

You finish a build and start thinking about what to do next.

I've got a couple of models I've been "tinkering" with for a couple of years whilst waiting for things to dry on my current build.

So, there's my Sluff with Zacto and Aires goodies which I've done some work on.

Ok lets' go with that, but NO! Someone has just started a build with virtually the same am.

Hmm, the 1/32 Mossie's still sitting there but again there's one being built.

SO! the Crusader it is!!!

Its been done before on LSP and also in the same scheme I'm doing but I have done some work on it so maybe I'll go with this one.

I'll be using the Zotz VF-84 "Flame mouth" decals.

I've already built the "Jolly Rogers" Phantom and Tommycat so this will be the third in the "trilogy"

(I've also got some uber decals for their current aircraft so watch this space!)

Here we go then.

Using the F-8E kit as the basis.

P4244434.jpg

I'm going to be using Barry's terrific build to help with the airframe "adjustments" that are needed.

I've got the Aires exhaust, wheel wells and "E" pit which will need fettling to give a C.

I've also got Harolds seat for the early C's which used the Vought seat.

Some G Factor gear legs, Contact resine wheels and a few other bits.

This has all been sitting in the stash for a couple of years so maybe its about time it got built!

Already chopped the nose and been adjusting things for the Fisher nose.

Not quite there yet but its close:

P4244430.jpg

I'm closing up all the hatches.I really cant be bothered to build her on the ground with all her guts hanging out but then that's just me!

Refuelling probe, and gun hatches closed.

As Barry mentioned in his build these don't appear to have been moulded for fitting in the closed position so a lot of sanding etc. Not bad atm but maybe a few shims needed to get the panels tight:

P4244432.jpg

Also closed up the Ram air turbine hatch. Just cant be arsed to model a fan sticking out of a plane!

P4244433.jpg

I'm using the Aires gearbays so I've sanded off the detail on the Fisher intake to squeeze the Aires bay in :

P4244429.jpg

Back soon with the wings!

Yum!

Again, from Barry's build there are lots of issues with the thickness of flaps, fitting problems etc.

I'm building this one with the wings fully down and all flaps in the level position.

First thing to do was chop the wings up and insert the fisher centre piece to get rid of the E's hump.

As usual I cut first then measured 3 times but it came out ok.

This is the complete wing set up:

P4244424.jpg

The trailing edge flaps were woefully thick on the trailing edge so these need a fair bit of sanding.

If you are doing the wing tips down and locked, Trumpeter just tell you to put a couple of oblong tabs in each side and push the wingtips on.

Well they don't work!

They leave about a 2mm gap.

I removed all the lower tabs from the tip piece and carefully sanded the "fingers"

Here you can see one tip as modified, the other with all the tabs etc still on:

P4244425.jpg

Its then a case of sand, dry fit, sand etc etc until you get a goodish fit.

These are just placed together atm. I'm hoping not to have to re-scribe the "piano" hinge:

P4244427.jpg

Underneath may need a 10 though shim along the edge of the reinforcing plate:

P4244428.jpg

Not bad for a loose fit though.

I'll probably put in a couple of brass rods inside the joint for strength.

Exhaust has been chopped and the Aires front part fitted:

P5150002.jpg

This was tricky as the "remove" shaded area in the instructions was pretty feint.

Just taped together here:

P5150005.jpg

Today's job will be to get the wingtips on and clamped up for alignment then start thinking about getting the flaps in leaving some nice tight lines, I hope!

You're about as far as I got with my build. Pretty much all the same AM stuff too. I'm doing the same conversion but going to use the VF-111 markings instead. One of these days I'll have to get back to mine. But not until you finish yours first :)

Carl

Great to see you building this kit Phil some day I will build this one and nice to know where to look out for. Johan

Thanks Johan, its been sitting looking at me for a couple of years now.

The best reference is Barry's build which I'm following. Here: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=22179

You're about as far as I got with my build. Pretty much all the same AM stuff too. I'm doing the same conversion but going to use the VF-111 markings instead. One of these days I'll have to get back to mine. But not until you finish yours first :) Carl

Carl, I'm hoping to start another build alongside this one soon which no one is doing at the moment!

Ah the old harken back to one of Big matts Posts! Good ol shouty WIPs! Great start man.........im back on days this whole week, so I didnt get the final word on the "next". What, no Super B? B

Yep had to go with the big fella's shouty title!

OK, this is strictly confidential of course.

I've got the "E" and all the am but still waiting for the "F" to arrive. :ninja:

As I said yesterday, because I'd removed all the lower lugs on the tips I drilled in some brass rod:

P4254436.jpg

Then I used 5 minute epoxy and clamped them up.

Haven't sanded this yet and I'm hoping that once some primer and paint is on it will ;leave nice tight lines.

I really don't want to rescribe the hinge:

P4254441.jpg

Once these had set I taped on the leading edge flaps which are where the real fun begins.

The joint near the fuse is pretty good but I might revisist this and see if I can get it better:

P4254442.jpg

But then when the outer flap is taped in place we have a gap.

Port:

P4254445.jpg

Stbd:

P4254444.jpg

The inner flap finishes in the right place so it looks like a 20 thou shim on the widest part of each outer flap may do the trick.

Thanks for looking.

Phil

Edited by PhilB

Phil, this looks awesome! You're up to usual amazing work already. It looks like you sure do like your Fisher conversions, and I'm sure they appreciate your business.

I can't wait to see how this one comes out, I'm sure it will be amazing. Just be sure to keep us updated as you go, you've picked one of my favorite Cold War planes in one of my favorite schemes, so I will be watching for sure!

I really should get off my butt and finish my Hunter, shouldn't I?

Matt :party0023:

Thanks for all the very kind words Gentlemen!!

Phil, this looks awesome! You're up to usual amazing work already. It looks like you sure do like your Fisher conversions, and I'm sure they appreciate your business. I can't wait to see how this one comes out, I'm sure it will be amazing. Just be sure to keep us updated as you go, you've picked one of my favorite Cold War planes in one of my favorite schemes, so I will be watching for sure! I really should get off my butt and finish my Hunter, shouldn't I?

Thanks Matt,

I don't know about liking Fisher conversions. just came out that way or maybe I'm a glutton for punishment?????

Yep finish off that Hunter!!!!

Nice start Phil, got one last year surprisingly small box in comparison to the size of the kit - if you know what I mean? - so will be taking notes pour mon Cruse Francaise... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: tre bon, yum yum!!!

Tres Bon!!!!

I hope you might be doing that nice dark blue anniversary job with the invasion stripes????

Magnifique!!!!!

So I've managed to get the leading edge flaps in.

Ok on the top but a wee bit proud underneath at the joint but I'll live with it.

Used various card shims to try and tighten up the joints:

P4304452.jpg

P4304450.jpg

P4304449.jpg

Gave it a squirt of Mr Tamiya's fine white stuff to see where we are:

P4304454.jpg

P4304456.jpg

P4304457.jpg

Also found I got a pretty good joint with the Fisher resin insert.

Probably need some panel lines scribing once I've checked my refs but its ok:

P4304459.jpg

Next job will be the trailing edge flaps.............................................can't wait!!!!!!!!!

Phil

Edited by PhilB