1:20 Scale completely scratch built Royal Aircraft Factory SE5a

fozzy

Hi Every one

Now before I start I make no apologies for the amount of photo's I have taken!...during the build in WIP I took over 659 photos !! :o ...so I am not going to cheat on the content here!! ;) ...seriously ...I did try and cut out a lot of the photos but found it difficult because of the amount of work and detail I have put into this project!......and just to remind you that I started this SE5a last June 2011!!

I want to thank every one for following along with the WIP thread over the months..believe me without you guys I really wouldn't have been able to finish this project!....I am not going to mention any names...but you know who you are! :bow:

For those of you who are interested ...the link to WIP is.........HERE

I also realize that WW1 subjects are not every one's cup of tea so to speak , so I really did appreciate the guys that followed this through to the end.

So.....I made it in 1:20 scale...made from balsa,ex Christmas cards,paper,plastic card,tissue,coca cola cans,wire,food packaging,Bulgarian Yogurt pots and any thing else I found useful in the kitchen waste bin!!!!...................no aftermarket accessories were used...I hate them!!!

I have put the photos into sections......please don't think I am pretentious. :blush: ..ok...you can if you want!! :rolleyes:

This first photo is of the real thing and this is what I wanted my model to look like..................

1713535.jpg

.........and here's my SE5a.

myse5afinished004.jpg

Section 1....over all photos taken in my back yard!

myse5afinished002.jpg

myse5afinished2008.jpg

myse5afinished2009.jpg

myse5afinished2007.jpg

myse5afinished2005.jpg

myse5afinished2013.jpg

Edited by fozzy

....and now that you have been such good sports!!....here are 3 silly flying pics...minus the pilot and stationary prop...oh and a few of my fingers!!!! :lol:

overalldetail037.jpg

overalldetail038.jpg

overalldetail039.jpg

Well that's it!!you will be pleased to hear that there are no more photos!!!

Thanks so much guys for taking an interest ;)

I have enjoyed building this SE5a so much but what made it more enjoyable was the fact that I shared it on this forum.I will now put it into a box and one day I'll take it back to UK with me.

I am now going to take a break for a while as I have a couple of OOB models to make for a guy in UK......but I'll be back in a few months for another epic scratch build!!....this time ...a metal skinned WW2 aircraft!

Cheers to every one and happy modelling! :)

Edited by fozzy

For some reason I thought you are much older .... :P

Nice to put a face to the avatar, Martin. Thanks for posting your photo!

Congrats! This build was simply unbelievable. The most impressive for me is the effect you achieved with the tissue skin. It really feels its a doped fabric covering the airframe. Wow! :bow: :bow:

The amount of work you put into her is dazzling! Very inspirational!!!

Thanks for sharing your work with us!

awesome work Fozzy!

You did a really nice job on this all the way.

Cheers Shawn...thanks for saying so!

Looks great :wow: - you have WAYYY more patience than I.

Cheers,

Dave

Yes ...but it ran rather thin at times on this build!!!!...thanks mate

WOW!!! Simply wonderful scratched SE 5a ..Congrats :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Cheers :)

For some reason I thought you are much older .... :P

Nice to put a face to the avatar, Martin. Thanks for posting your photo!

Congrats! This build was simply unbelievable. The most impressive for me is the effect you achieved with the tissue skin. It really feels its a doped fabric covering the airframe. Wow! :bow: :bow:

The amount of work you put into her is dazzling! Very inspirational!!!

Thanks for sharing your work with us!

Hi there Tomek....thank you very much for your kind words mate...I sprayed a satin varnish over the doped tissue ...I think it gives a quite realistic finish ...try it!....

...and as for names to faces (cheers for thinking I'm an old knacker!!...I'm 56...I guess it is quite old!! :( )...but my Avitar is a picture of me when I crewed Scout Helicopters for the Army Air Corps back in the 80s....I guess I did look young in those days...horible getting old isn't it?

se5aplans021-1.jpg

I don't know if the smile on my face while viewing the gallery is because it's finally OVER! or if it is because I am simply amazed by your talent, but either way Martin, BRAVO! You are the darndest!

Sincerely,

Mark