Sepecat Jaguar GR3.A FORWARD FUSELAGE MASTERS COMPLETE...MOSTLY&#33

Timmy!

Got some panels on today. These ones were a little tricky but they look pretty good and even the bends around the windscreen fairing worked out well. Hope it portends the future of the paneling process.

nosepanels1.jpg

nosepanels2.jpg

Windscreen temp attached and the roughed in the fairing. Again this is Apoxie Sculpt.

wndscrnfairing1.jpg

Timmy!

Just about finished up the windscreen fairings. Still a little work to do but the windscreen is just about read to get popped of so I can finish the detail work. There wasn't much to do here just smooth out the Apoxie Sculpt and add some fastener detail. Also I added the curved ramp structures at the corners of the windscreen where the canopy seal will fit.

windscrnfillet1.jpg

windscrnfillet2.jpg

While the Apoxie was setting I tackled the intake separation. A grove was cut to allow a 0.040" strip of styrene to be fitted. The aft edge matches the panel line where the real thing separates from the airframe. The strip was then glued to the froward portion, then sanded flush and the intake snapped off.

intakejoint1.jpg

On the bottom edge an angled piece was made to capture the fillet at the bottom of the intake. A notch was cut into the forward portion to allow everything to fit back together.

intakejoint3.jpg

intakejoint4.jpg

Took a bit of puzzling to get it all to work but the fit is nice and tight and hold together pretty well without glue.

intakejoint5.jpg

That metalwork is sweet Timmy!. Nothing replicates real metal like,...well,.....real metal. :lol:

I like the individual rivets too. Probably a necessity in this scale I'd think. Looking at them, I see that there is no hole in the centre of the rivets. Are aircraft rivets different in that way to other engineering rivets?

Although this is a mammoth undertaking it is easy to see that you are on top of the job. Keep it up, it's looking great. :goodjob:

Edited by geedubelyer

OH my goodness, your doing amazing work on this Timmy. I wish I can do what you're doing, but I don't think I can't. So, I'm seriously envy you at the moment which is... :mental: :D

Btw, thanks for the info on what program you are using to do all this cool CAD. I'll have to see how hard it is to use. I've used photoshop and coraldraw, but never done any CAD.

That metalwork is sweet Timmy!. Nothing replicates real metal like,...well,.....real metal. :lol:

I like the individual rivets too. Probably a necessity in this scale I'd think. Looking at them, I see that there is no hole in the centre of the rivets. Are aircraft rivets different in that way to other engineering rivets?

Although this is a mammoth undertaking it is easy to see that you are on top of the job. Keep it up, it's looking great. :goodjob:

GW,

Thanks for the input. So the "rivets" you are seeing are representations of phillips screw heads. You are right there should be a little "+" detail at the center. But the circles are so dang small I thinking attempting additional detail mat ruin the effect. I dunno though I may figure out something - stay tuned.

OH my goodness, your doing amazing work on this Timmy. I wish I can do what you're doing, but I don't think I can't. So, I'm seriously envy you at the moment which is... :mental: :D

Btw, thanks for the info on what program you are using to do all this cool CAD. I'll have to see how hard it is to use. I've used photoshop and coraldraw, but never done any CAD.

You'll find somethings translate from coreldraw to CAD but the 3d environment really is a whole new animal. There's lots of stuff on the you tubes to get you started.

Nice metalwork, indeed! You used a rivettng tool on the apoxy without ill effects? Really nice engineering on the intakes.

Sincerely,

Mark

By happy accident yes so far so good with the beading tool.

I will follow this topic alllllllll day!!!

Its incredible!! Im fan of scratch build, see my topic about MiG-21MF too.

I like so much the Jaguar.

Congratulations my friend

Hercules de Ararujo from Brasil

Hercules thanks for checking in! I say your work and I am impressed - and grateful you are sharing it with us?

• 4 weeks later...

'You are right there should be a little "+" detail at the center.'

You might be able to impress '+' with a micro phillips head screw driver.

Sincerely,

Mark

So I tried by filing down a #000 philips screwdriver. May have worked but it's so small it's nearly impossible to see. I also tried a #75 drill bit to make a little hole - very tough to get centered properly - and the again the detail so small it doesn't seem worth the effort. Once I get some parts with paint on them I may re-evaluate.

I accomplished some more work - mostly mundane stuff - but I did get the windscreen 99% complete. Lots of screw retainers added on the inside and a few other details.

windscrnfinal3.jpg

windscrnfinal5.jpg

windscrnfinal4.jpg

windscrnfinal1.jpg

windscrnfinal2.jpg

Also I finished off the intake joints. This involved getting the other intake carved out and the joint roughed out. I tuned up the joints by re-attching them with a foil barrier and filling the remaining gap with JB Weld (aluminum filled two part epoxy). This left a nice hard edge that left a super tight joint and a press fit of the parts.

intakefinal1.jpg

Last but not least the canopy has been vacuum formed.

canopy1e.jpg

More later this week,

Timmy!

Nice detail work. Great! job on the semi-circular frame. I know that fit was a real test. Plus having that strip that ties into the frame face project out into the milliput. Good job for sure.

Sincerely,

Mark

Amazing work mate. I'm most impressed by your ability to work out solutions and engineer them satisfactorily. Coming up with a workable solution is half the problem (the other half of course being executing it). I seem to spend most of my builds staring at parts and wondering, how the heck and I gonna do that?

Kev

Nice detail work. Great! job on the semi-circular frame. I know that fit was a real test. Plus having that strip that ties into the frame face project out into the milliput. Good job for sure.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks, the goal is for the parts to fit without the need for putty and be imperceptible as joints - other than panel lines that is. In other words not filling or sanding the destroys the surface detail.

Amazing work mate. I'm most impressed by your ability to work out solutions and engineer them satisfactorily. Coming up with a workable solution is half the problem (the other half of course being executing it). I seem to spend most of my builds staring at parts and wondering, how the heck and I gonna do that?

Kev

Most of the time I spend "building" is exactly as you say, sitting staring at the thing, looking at the ceiling, looking at pictures all the time wondering "how the heck am I going to do that?"

Dude.

Crazy good..Can't stop looking at it..You are my hero.

Seriously.

Pete

Quit it I blush easily - which is embarrassing - which causes more blushing!

Quick update - photo's taken almost literally as I was running out the door on the way to work - my apologies.

So after attempt 5 (probably 6) I finally got the chisel nose correct. In fact, I rebuilt the whole thing including acrylic sheet at the window locations. In the photos the acrylic is covered by white vinyl tape - i chose the acrylic so I'm assured a clear section when the casting is done. With the new nose in place I did a little sheeting. I use paper templates taken from the 3d model where possible, print them out, glue them to aluminum sheet cut out and apply. The larger piece was created with partial patterns printed from the plans and masking tape to make a pattern to transfer to the aluminum. A good bit of trimming and test fitting and I got it to fit. More on this process in the next update when I have more photos to share.

nosepnls3.jpg

nosepnls4.jpg

nosepnls2.jpg

nosepnls1.jpg

Timmy!