Sepecat Jaguar GR3.A FORWARD FUSELAGE MASTERS COMPLETE...MOSTLY&#33

Timmy!

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

It has been a while since I have updated, but this project is continuing. I have been a away for from home for the majority of the last two months - very busy at work. Been learning a new helicopter - month long school plus my normal work schedule. Here are some shots of the new toy I get to play with.

s92j.jpg

s92cp.jpg

On the model front I have been toting around my laptop so in my free-time I have been able to do some more drawing work. As with the rest of the 3d model I decided to re-draw the seat. These are shots of the 2d drafts, that I will turn into 3d drawings soon. Notice I have also been working on the decal art as I go. Really just for fun and to keep interest up.

jagejectionseatdraw1.jpg

jagejectionseatdraw2.jpg

jagejectionseatdraw3.jpg

So I was also able to spend a few hours on the model itself plotting out a few more lines and experimenting with the measuring and marking process. It's working well. Photographic progress to follow soon.

Timmy!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what's been going on this week. Granted not a lot of visually appealing progress, but important work to true up the model. This is how I'm checking progress and adding fillets and structures. Essentially I am laying out points with horizontal and vertical measurements taken from the drawings. This shows the intake splitter and the measurements for the point of the splitter.

jagmeasure1.png

The measurements are transferred to the model (the little penciled in cross).

jagjig3.jpg

Horizontal measurement method - Long rule, set on a point that matches the end of the pitot, and measurements from there give me distance to vertical planes on the model.

jagjig9.jpg

The height gauge gives me parallel horizontal lines on the model.

Laying out the plastic form you can see it's close but not quite perfect, a little massaging will be necessary. This may look a little extreme but with a model this big these little errors will magnify to larger misalignments later. Plus when I build the rest of parts they may not fit - which kills the whole purpose for all the computer work.

jagjig5.jpg

Even though I have been careful cutting out and "precisely" laying out the cross-section forms, the double checking of the model has revealed a few problems. Here's one that's pretty obvious. I noticed while I was rough sanding that the nose looked a little bent up. All the forms revealed nicely and evenly, but when I checked the profile shape with a little plastic profile you can see the big gap!

jagjig11.jpg

Putting the fuse in the jig you can see that the third cross-section measures out fine.

jagjig2.jpg

But once I got to the tip of the nose you can see it's much higher than it should be. The tip of the height gauge should be even with the top of the tube where the pitot tube fits. I'll cut off the nose, reposition it and then reshape it.

jagjig1.jpg

Filleting has begun as well. The gun port fillet is in progress - you can see the horizontal lines scribed in - they represent panel lines nearest the fillet. Using photos I can judge where the fillet should start and end. This is a feel process really - sand until it looks right.

jagjig7.jpg

Same is going to happen here at the engine area. Angled panel lines have been laid out and I'll start finessing this area.

jagjig8.jpg

When I couldn't take the sanding anymore, I started the intake forms. These will be key to getting area where the intake blends into the fuselage. I pulled cross-sections from the 3d model, two each horizontal and vertical and printed them out. Just likes these, which happen to be forms for the windscreen. The print outs have been glued with Elmer's Glue Stick to 0.040" plastic sheet.

jagjig10.jpg

The sheet came from signs I got at the hardware store. Cheap and more importantly big sizes!

jagjig12.jpg

They are then cut out and fit together. I cut interlocking slots into each part so they slide together, just like those old wood dinosaur skeleton models.

jagjig13.jpg

And last but not least, when I haven't had access to the build, I've been going a little nuts on the 3d seat model.

jagseat3d1.png

jagseat3d2.jpg

That's it for now.

Timmy!

No, not driving at overall length. My curiousity is if you are using the grid as a drawing guide or using dimensioning lines to snap the linework into place. I'm just wondering if you're using the grid as a reference or if it just background noise.

Sincerely,

Mark

No, not driving at overall length. My curiousity is if you are using the grid as a drawing guide or using dimensioning lines to snap the linework into place. I'm just wondering if you're using the grid as a reference or if it just background noise.

Sincerely,

Mark

Oh I see now. Yeah the grid is background. Dimensions come from a tool in the software. Measurements made from horizontal and vertical reference planes.The vertical line chosen to fit the model on the build board and the horizontal low enough to make room for the landing gear and the jig assemblies I need.

Hope that helps a little.

Timmy!

This is really great work Timmy! Glad to see others using CAD definitions to create that one-of-a-kind model that manufacturers haven't come up with yet. Any plans for 3D printing?

Ken

This is really great work Timmy! Glad to see others using CAD definitions to create that one-of-a-kind model that manufacturers haven't come up with yet. Any plans for 3D printing?

Ken

The computer really helps - the pre-"building" is invaluable.

As for the printing that is a definite maybe. The plan is to hand build everything - but the computer/printed parts may be too tempting.