Sepecat Jaguar GR3.A FORWARD FUSELAGE MASTERS COMPLETE...MOSTLY&#33

Timmy!

Just curious; when you do your PE part fret drawings, do you add your own "etch factor", or do you have the vendor do that? I am doing some ship railings right now, and some vendors won't even look at the drawings unless I have done my own calculations.

Ken

Ken, are you providing 'hard' artwork, ie pen and ink, or computer generated data? If computer based, it is easy to fatten up the image outline by the appropriate factor. Doing it photographically is a bit more of a **** -ache, and they might be trying to avoid that if your giving them physical artwork.

The etch factor accounts for a degree of undecutting that happens ans the etched area eats past, and then underneath, the mask adhering to the surface of your etched metal. They really should be able to at least tell you what the factor is. It will depend on the material being etched, the etchant used, and the flow and pressure of the spray sytem, so it will vary from etcher to etcher.

I suspect they just might not want the work. I'd try and find someone more helpful! If you were in the UK, I'd recommend PPD Ltd in Lochgilphead, Scotland.

Usual disclaimers, no connection other than a very happy customer.

Tim

Ken, are you providing 'hard' artwork, ie pen and ink, or computer generated data? If computer based, it is easy to fatten up the image outline by the appropriate factor. Doing it photographically is a bit more of a **** -ache, and they might be trying to avoid that if your giving them physical artwork.

The etch factor accounts for a degree of undecutting that happens ans the etched area eats past, and then underneath, the mask adhering to the surface of your etched metal. They really should be able to at least tell you what the factor is. It will depend on the material being etched, the etchant used, and the flow and pressure of the spray sytem, so it will vary from etcher to etcher.

I suspect they just might not want the work. I'd try and find someone more helpful! If you were in the UK, I'd recommend PPD Ltd in Lochgilphead, Scotland.

Usual disclaimers, no connection other than a very happy customer.

Tim

Thanks for the feedback Tim. Most of the PE vendors here in the U.S. like to have DWG or DXF artwork, and recommend a factor of 1/4 material thickness. But, I never know when they are going to send it back with "too thin" or "we can't do that" even if I follow their guidelines. With 3 different vendors, you get 6 different answers.......

I was just curious; those PE parts look really nice!

Ken

Just curious; when you do your PE part fret drawings, do you add your own "etch factor", or do you have the vendor do that? I am doing some ship railings right now, and some vendors won't even look at the drawings unless I have done my own calculations.

Ken

The short answer is yes. I send out offset artwork. My vendor tells me the design rules I need to follow. If any artwork is needed they send the work out - in my case I can do that myself. BTW offsets vary with material, width and other variables. Your vendor should guide you.

• 4 weeks later...

Timmy, I didn't know you are in the military as well. No wonder you have access to all those cool jets. As for this projcet...I'm running out of words to say that it is awesome.

So yes I was in the military, retired actually. But I have never seen one of these jets in person. All I know is what I found on the net!

Hey everybody!

Here are some shots of the latest work. The fillets are essentially done and I got the gun ports in place. Next up, spine will be built up and the windscreen forms are to made.

Intakes are attached with foil barriers. The splitter area will need to be shaped with the intakes off - I'll post shots of that when it happens. I needed to get the joints and fillets married up to the separate intake sections first that’s why the temporary attachment of the intakes.

jagfillets1.jpg

jagfillets12.jpg

jagfillets11.jpg

After expending a bunch of brain cells trying to finger out how I was going to get the gun ports done, I think I finally got it. At first blush I thought the interior shape was a square oval, but after finding some good photos I found it was a simple circle. So after contemplating complex drilling methods, I found some styrene tube just the right size. After grinding out the fuse with a Dremel armed with a sanding cylinder, I glued in the tube. Filler applied and some sanding and trimming, I think I got the opening really close.

jagfillets3.jpg

jagfillets13.jpg

jagfillets14.jpg

jagfillets10.jpg

While I was at it with the Dremel I got the exhaust area worked out too.

jagfillets2.jpg

Finally, I chopped out the section where the windscreen will fit.

jagfillets7.jpg

More soon

Timmy!

Edited by Timmy!

Very very impressive work.

What CAD software are you using? I was looking into doing stuff like this, but doing it for myself I am limited to free programs. I found one that was promising, Blender, but I found it had a different approach than other CAD software I've tried before by not being so dimension focused. A lot more artistic (gaming) focused rather than engineering, which is the way my brain work...

Very very impressive work.

What CAD software are you using? I was looking into doing stuff like this, but doing it for myself I am limited to free programs. I found one that was promising, Blender, but I found it had a different approach than other CAD software I've tried before by not being so dimension focused. A lot more artistic (gaming) focused rather than engineering, which is the way my brain work...

Rhino and Vectorworks. I have played with Blender - I have seen other get some great results with it. Personally it didn't fit what I was doing - that it is free is a plus.

Dang nice edgework, Timmy!!

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark - it's a bit of an area I focus on. Good flat tools and care is all it takes!

Great work Timmy! And, you've shown me a new use for foiling! :thumbsup:

Ken

Glad to help - it a technique i use often.

Today's work. Cut out a bunch of parts and glued them on to the model. The shape is getting more and more recognizable as a jaguar now - it's motivating.

spine1.jpg

spine2.jpg

spine3.jpg

spine4.jpg

Last update for tonight, got one more form skeleton complete. This will become the master for a vacuum formed windscreen - which will be faired into the fuse and become a master for a cast windscreen.

jagwindscreenfrm3.jpg

jagwindscreenfrm2.jpg

jagwindscreenfrm1.jpg