Trumpeter P-47D Variants

Guest Dekenba

It depends on what you want. If you want the detail and are a detail person I think you will soon find the Trump kit looks like a lot of detail but once you dive into it,.... that detail is a representation of the internals of the aircraft and certainly not scale. The Hase kit is simple in parts count but in my view much more accurate.

If it's any worth, I will not buy another Trump kit after building many of their kits. The P-40 is a disaster, the P-51B is a disaster, the Corsair is a disaster but looks OK after you spend more than the price of the kit on aftermarket bits.... I've only built one kit of theirs that I thought was really good, that is the Dauntless. The Hellcat is OK (the engine and cockpit are really bad), the Bearcat is OK but I can't say it is great. I have another Hellcat in the stash and that has a pile of Aftermarket with it also (cockpit, engine, Prop). Once that is built that's it for me... not another dime of mine will be spent on Trump kits

....after the frustration of building the above mentioned kits, I really don't care if their P-47 Razor back is a good kit. I've had enough.......

Ron

Guest Dekenba

The Trumpter Razorback is an excellent kit, as others have said. However, the Trumpeter Bubbletop's windscreen has a major problem that's shown clearly by the following photos of the Trumpeter kit part:

trump.jpg

(credit: Chris Sherland)

... the Hasegawa kit part:

hase.jpg

(credit: Chris Sherland)

... and the real thing:

P-47Dwindscreengunsightcropped.jpg

(source unknown)

Charles Metz

That is very interesting. Thanks.

I've ordered the Razorback!

Guest Dekenba

It depends on what you want. If you want the detail and are a detail person I think you will soon find the Trump kit looks like a lot of detail but once you dive into it,.... that detail is a representation of the internals of the aircraft and certainly not scale. The Hase kit is simple in parts count but in my view much more accurate.

If it's any worth, I will not buy another Trump kit after building many of their kits. The P-40 is a disaster, the P-51B is a disaster, the Corsair is a disaster but looks OK after you spend more than the price of the kit on aftermarket bits.... I've only built one kit of theirs that I thought was really good, that is the Dauntless. The Hellcat is OK (the engine and cockpit are really bad), the Bearcat is OK but I can't say it is great. I have another Hellcat in the stash and that has a pile of Aftermarket with it also (cockpit, engine, Prop). Once that is built that's it for me... not another dime of mine will be spent on Trump kits

....after the frustration of building the above mentioned kits, I really don't care if their P-47 Razor back is a good kit. I've had enough.......

Ron

The Trumpy kits can be a bit, um, industrial some times, but as I like to change a lot of a build anyway that's something that's not realy bothered me much.

I'm doing the Corsair build now & I've added after market stuff for the gun bays, cockpit & landing gear, as well as some big ed stuff - and, of course, the cowling!

But the overall cost is still not that much more than a Tamiya kit - I picked up the Corsair for £30, yet the Spitfire MkIX was £100! So that gives me a good budget to tackle those add on's and, to be honest, I have spent a fair bit buying add-on's for the Spitfire - Big Ed, Barracuda & Master - so the completed spruced up Trumpy will still be significantly cheaper than the Tamiya.

I know I can build a pretty good Tamiya Spitfire OOB, but I just can't help myself!

By the way, in which areas is the Hasegawa kit more accurate than Trumpeters?

Trumpy kits can be a hit or a miss. Some of their kits have been really nice and I think it depends on if they have their A team or B team is working on them. Their 262, Mig-23, SU-25,F-8E/J, are really nice. The Avenger is outstanding and I have never read a bad word about it. It would have to be their best kit I think. Interesting as some of ship kits our outstanding in detail and accuracy as are their armor kits.

I think they strive to get better which each release and they do seem to be learning only sometimes it is two steps forward and one step backwards. Basically it all depends on how much you want that particular subject in your collection.

Guest Dekenba

Anybody got Trumpeters Swordfish?

Went to the Fleet Air Arm Museum last week and I'm inspired to build one - and this seems the only one....

Looking at those photos it's not just the Trumpeter kit with a problem.

That Hasegawa windscreen is far to narrow t the front. Looking at the Trumpeter one it looks the right width but poor frame design.

Looking at both I'd say thevTrumpeter one would be easier o fix as it looks about the right width where the Has one is to narrow and be pretty hard to fix. At least with framework sanding and remasking is a possibility.

Cool photos thanks

Well, unless Mr. Rutman intends to re-release his P-47D razorback conversion, I have a Hasegawa P-47D bubble top and the Revell P-47D razorback kits - I could cobble these two together to produce a conversion set for the Hasegawa kit? - is this a good idea, or am I barking?:mental:

Cheers

Derek

Well, unless Mr. Rutman intends to re-release his P-47D razorback conversion, I have a Hasegawa P-47D bubble top and the Revell P-47D razorback kits - I could cobble these two together to produce a conversion set for the Hasegawa kit? - is this a good idea, or am I barking?:mental:

Cheers

Derek

Nope. Tiz IDENTICAL to my plan in every respect.

I actually disagree with the thought that the Trumpy razorback is "excellent".

Bought it.

Studied the VERY odd looking (IMHO anyway) hoarse-collar shaped cowl, and funky area behind the cowl, comparing to both the Revell and Has cowls.

Sold it the day after. :notworking:

So then I just picked up the kit I knew I loved, the Has bubbletop, and found an old revell razorback on Ebay cheap, and got a plan together.

This is exactly what Larry did. RIP old friend...............

Larrys Has/Revell Razorback conversion

Brian

That Hasegawa windscreen is far to narrow t the front. Looking at the Trumpeter one it looks the right width but poor frame design.

Looking at both I'd say thevTrumpeter one would be easier o fix as it looks about the right width where the Has one is to narrow and be pretty hard to fix. At least with framework sanding and remasking is a possibility.

Cool photos thanks

Frankly, I doubt that either windscreen can be corrected, so until a replacement becomes available, most modelers will be forced to choose one or the other in order to build a 1/32-scale Bubbletop. Trumpeter's windscreen error irritates my eyes far more, and until today everyone I've heard express an opinion on this subject has agreed. In any case, the phrase "Pick your poison" seems to apply here.

Charles Metz.

By the way, in which areas is the Hasegawa kit more accurate than Trumpeters?

My take on the Trump kit(s) was the same as Brian's (out2gtcha). The cowl and the area behind it has a funky look to it, the wind screen on the bubble top really put me off as well and I felt the landing gear looked rather clunky but that's just an opinion. I've read that the kit sits to low on it's landing gear also but I can't confirm that since I haven't built it. I thumbed through the kit at the LHS and decided it's not for me, ever. I've built two of the Hase kits and enjoyed both. It's actually one of my favorite kits.

To be fair to Trumpy though, I neglected to mention the Swordfish. I've built this kit as well and found it to be excellent. It's very well done.

Ron

Cool photos thanks

That is right :goodjob: - people only focus on the trump kits negatives - you are the first person to speak up about both being a bit "how's your father ?" so good on you !

Ads

Ads, you maybe right, my post was very down on them. Just frustrating that they can get the odd kit right and then totally knob up many anothers, yet still charge a Kings small ransom for them. My P-51B and Corsair were the final "that's enough" no more.

Hey no Ron not just you dont worry

I am very choosey myself when i buy kits as i want an APPROXIMATION of goodness!!

Its all of the bandwagon jumpers who dont own a kit and go for the jugular when they hear something about a company they dont like that get me. Tamiya - the first part i pulled out of my kit had injection marks on a part that was "for show" so no kit maker is perfect - every kit a different opportunity i think.

I like the hase kit very much - i wish the surface riveting was more prevalent

Ads