1/32 P-40 - New EMD products planned, but additional ideas welcomed?

Derek B

Some up-front news for you guys. I am currently finalising my next batch of EMD 1/32 Curtiss P-40 AM accessories before I start on the master patterns. So far, I have decided to produce a set of standard P-40 studded pattern tyres, a set of P-40N wheel hubs, diamond and block tread pattern tyres and a replacement resin seat with a choice of US or British style seat harnesses in flexible resin which will allow them to be posable.

I have options for other ideas for the P-40, but I would appreciate your thoughts on what modellers think that they would really like to see (and buy) for their 1/32 P-40 kits?

BTW, I like this particular P-40...

xp40q103dz1.jpg

Derek

'. . . seat harnesses in flexible resin which will allow them to be posable.'

Derek, I have read of great difficulty cleaning out the center of Cutting Edge's posable/flexible resin buckles, and, not ruining said buckles.

Just a thought.

Sincerely,

Mark

Derek,

Would a conversion set for an early P-40N be possible? OOB, the Hasegawa kit builds into the later version like the bottom profile, but I have always wanted to build mine as one of the Burma Banshees with the earlier style canopy arrangement.

BurmaBansheeP-40sprofiles.jpg?t=1286583414

'. . . seat harnesses in flexible resin which will allow them to be posable.'

Derek, I have read of great difficulty cleaning out the center of Cutting Edge's posable/flexible resin buckles, and, not ruining said buckles.

Just a thought.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have absolutely no idea what material Cutting edge use for their flexible harness, but if it is Viynl, then that may be the problem? (it is very difficult stuff to trim and sand at the best of times). I intend to make mine from flexible resin, which is an entirely different kettle of fish...it is essentially the same os the normal resin, but has flexibility, so should therefore be similar in terms of trimming and sanding?

I have asked for a sample in order to assess it's properties, so this will be the deciding factor as to whether or not I eventually use it? (it is something new for me, so we shall see?).

Regards

Derek

Derek,

Would a conversion set for an early P-40N be possible? OOB, the Hasegawa kit builds into the later version like the bottom profile, but I have always wanted to build mine as one of the Burma Banshees with the earlier style canopy arrangement.

BurmaBansheeP-40sprofiles.jpg?t=1286583414

Hello Frank,

I will obviously be producing the P-40N wheels and tyres, so, what else would be needed to produce an early P-40N from the standard Hasegawa P-40 kits?

Derek

Derek,

I apologize, I am not fully aware of all of the changes needed. I do know that the turtle deck and canopy parts are different (same as the P-40M) but other than that I do not know. I know that Hasegawa produces the right parts in other releases (P-40M) but sure would be nice to have a conversion set to modify their "M". Of course, as soon as someone does that they will release a boxing with ALL of the needed parts in one box! :BANGHEAD2:

Derek,

I apologize, I am not fully aware of all of the changes needed. I do know that the turtle deck and canopy parts are different (same as the P-40M) but other than that I do not know. I know that Hasegawa produces the right parts in other releases (P-40M) but sure would be nice to have a conversion set to modify their "M". Of course, as soon as someone does that they will release a boxing with ALL of the needed parts in one box! :BANGHEAD2:

Frank,

I agree that an early P-40N would be a good idea (I won't touch the later P-40N with the modified decking, as Hasegawa will most likely reissue that at some future point in time). My understanding is that externally, there is very little difference between the early P-40N and P-40M airframes? (apart from the obvious smaller wheels, aerial and maybe a few other items?). I believe that some early P-40N's had four gun armarment instead of the six gun configuration (which were later modified back to six gun) - I could make those easily. I am no expert here, so am open to advice?

Many thanks

Derek

Edited by Derek B

HECK YEAH! A P-40Q! I'd love to do one...

I think that it would make a nice little conversion kit Dave - providing that it is worth my time and effort, of course!

Cheers

Derek

Hmmm... good points Derek! Given Hasegawa's tendency to do later releases with required parts in one box, perhaps leave the N alone for now. I am sorry I cannot comment further on it, I really don't know enough about them to field an educated answer! :sorry:

How about an early conversion set, to modify their P-40E into a Tomahawk? :m0152:

How about an early conversion set, to modify their P-40E into a Tomahawk? :m0152:

Don't Trumpeter more or less cover this with their P-40B Tomahawk IIA Frank? (unless there is some major difference? - I have this kit, so ideas for this are equally welcomed?). I believe that the P-40E was known as the Kittyhawk in British and Commonwealth usage?

Cheers

Derek

Derek - that all sounds good. I would urge you to use restraint on the depth of the tread pattern on your tires. There seems to be a trend recently in aftermarket tires. A whole lot of them look like off-road all-terrain SUV tires more than aircraft tires. As with most things in modeling, less is more!

Derek - that all sounds good. I would urge you to use restraint on the depth of the tread pattern on your tires. There seems to be a trend recently in aftermarket tires. A whole lot of them look like off-road all-terrain SUV tires more than aircraft tires. As with most things in modeling, less is more!

Thank you for the sage advice Jennings.

Derek

Don't Trumpeter more or less cover this with their P-40B Tomahawk IIA Frank? (unless there is some major difference? - I have this kit, so ideas for this are equally welcomed?). I believe that the P-40E was known as the Kittyhawk in British and Commonwealth usage?

Cheers

Derek

Trumpeter does indeed have a Tomahawk, but that kit has it's own share of problems. Cockpit too shallow, tail surfaces shapes, landing gear, etc. I for one would MUCH rather spend the money to convert the Hasegawa kit to an earler mark. Just my $.02...

Trumpeter does indeed have a Tomahawk, but that kit has it's own share of problems. Cockpit too shallow, tail surfaces shapes, landing gear, etc. I for one would MUCH rather spend the money to convert the Hasegawa kit to an earler mark. Just my $.02...

:hmmm: Hmmm...Maybe I should start a Trumpeter Tomahawk thread?

I also have this kit, and I would be interested to know what 'issues' this kit has Frank? (you have already alluded to the shallow cockpit, but that can be corrected). Converting the Hasegawa P-40E to a Tomahawk is no straightforward task, so before I consider such a course, I really need to understand what is wrong with the Trumpeter kit and what is need to fix it (assuming there isn't anything else out there already that does this? - it's a little like the P-47 Razorback debate really).

One other thing I am looking at currently are some underwing bomb racks for the P-40N (and any other P-40's that may have had these fitted). There appear to be several types though, so again, I need to understand which had what?

Regards

Derek