Hobbycraft 1/32 A-36/P-51 - Advice?

Derek B

Hi Derek

I converted one from a Mk 1A to a Mk 1 back in 09. Far as I could tell basic outline and moldings are good; details parts are soft in detail but in general I think its a great starting point

Added a scratchbuilt cockpit, F24 camera and radio set (kit cockpit, radio and camera are bare bones and clunky), dropped the flaps, new tires, vacuformed a new canopy (kit one is nice and clear but really thick) As well added aftermarket True Details wheels and an Aires wheel well which is sold as being for a P-51B but from the photos I had seemed to actually be for a P-51A/Mk1A/Mk1.

To get a better idea of this kit you can view my build here

Dave/Ironman1945

Thank you for the link and ideas Dave - a very impressive (and instructive) build :goodjob:

Cheers

Derek

I may be wrong ( not being a big Mustang fan) but isn't the intake on the upper cowl of the A-36 broader than the P-51 and did it not have a vent?

:shrug:

???

...Would like to know as well?...

Derek

I'm not sure what you're asking there, Derek. The P-51H airframe had very little in common with that of the D, so a conversion set wouldn't be feasible. Moreover, the H wasn't used in combat and never wore any intriguing camouflage or markings, so its limited market appeal wouldn't seem to justify a full 1/32 injection-molded kit.

Charles Metz

Hi Charlie,

Yeah, I know that it was different (different length, wing, etc) - but I was just wondering exactly how different? (AFAIK, 555 were built and a few saw service use at the very end of WW II?).

Thanks

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Something else I would like to do is make some alternative block and studded tyres for the Tamiya 1/32 P-51D (see pictures). Unfortunately, the Tamiya kit is completely out of my price range, but if someone out there is prepared to loan me their kit wheel hubs and tyres, I shall try to replicate the tyre shape and size for my master patterns?

naval1.jpg

36.jpg

Derek

Hi Charlie,

Yeah, I know that it was different (different length, wing, etc) - but I was just wondering exactly how different?

Derek

Like a different plane different. It almost resembles a home built replica than a P-51

17-106xn.jpg

DSC_2229%20P-51H%20N551H%20left%20front%20landing%20l.jpg

DSC_2226%20P-51H%20N551H%20left%20front%20in%20flight%20l.jpg

Derek,

Why not do a cockpit set that can be used on the P-51/P-51A/A-36? As far as I know none are available. I have a couple of the kits waiting to be built but I prefer to have a quality cockpit to install and I know yours would be 1st class. Forget the P-51H (unless you want to do a full kit) as it was a entirely different airframe. Of course we'd need more decal or mask sets for the early Mustangs........ ;)

John

naval1.jpg

Like the tail-hook.

Very true D.B. - I was obviously using it to demonstrate the tyre pattern, however, it is an interesting picture in it's own right as far as development Mustangs go, and, unlike the Sea Fire, the maritime Mustang worked very well indeed as a shipborne fighter!

Derek

Derek,

Why not do a cockpit set that can be used on the P-51/P-51A/A-36? As far as I know none are available. I have a couple of the kits waiting to be built but I prefer to have a quality cockpit to install and I know yours would be 1st class. Forget the P-51H (unless you want to do a full kit) as it was a entirely different airframe. Of course we'd need more decal or mask sets for the early Mustangs........ ;)

John

Hi John,

I am trying to establish what Sergey (Vector Models) is doing on this aircraft, as he will most likely further along than me if he is intending to produce a full cockpit detail set, and it is very unlikely that I would be able to produce anything better than he in terms of detail quality, so I (hopefully) shall wait and see if he responds to me? I will look at whatever he isn't for the aircraft you mentioned.

Regards

Derek

Very true D.B. - I was obviously using it to demonstrate the tyre pattern, however, it is an interesting picture in it's own right as far as development Mustangs go, and, unlike the Sea Fire, the maritime Mustang worked very well indeed as a shipborne fighter!

Derek

Wasn't there only ONE example of this built?